Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Piezo

FAT BOY

Hey there, I recently purchased a Gold Top Les Paul Piezo. I'm quite happy with it, I don't mind the EMG's and the Piezo in the the bridge makes it interesting. I'm having a lot of fun mixing the pup's, experimenting with different tone's. Running the Piezo through an acoustic amp while running the EMG's through a Blues Junior, makes for some interesting tones. I had to change the EMG's from black to gold. It just didn't look right with black pup's, and I didn't think chrome would look right when all the other hardware was gold. What do you think?...IMG_0814.jpgIMG_0822.jpg

Interesting set up.

I like the gold better.

I was interested in playing around with acoustic style pup. Just for kicks I bought a Epi LP (Ultra II) with buckers and a nanomag pup (not a piezo, but a wide range acoustic pup). Dual output through an A/B/Both footswitch or separate amps is a ton of fun to play around with.

Feeling a little ignorant here,

What is a piezo?

I've heard many referrences but no description.

Dave

Hey Dave, A Piezo pup is a acoustic pup. Its in the bridge, each saddle acts as a individual pup. And they give the guitar a nice acoustic tone. The guitar has two jack's, one lets you play all three pup's,the lower volume and tone pot's controll the EMG's and upper ones control the Piezo. So you mix them together for endlees tone's. The other jack allows you two use just the EMG's. Then you can plug the EMG's into a electric amp, and when you use the other jack at the same time it allows you to use just the Piezo. So you can plug one into a acoustic amp and the other into a electric amp and play both same time.

Just a personal view here...

I've always found piezos hard and metallic (I know processing and preamps can improve), the best one I had was a Yamaha APX accoustic

Many of the top players use a magnetic soundhole p/u on their accoustics...some even have a mic pointing inside too and blend the resulting sounds

I suppose we have got used to the faux accoustic sounds today

I prefer my sounds to be 'woody' :rolleyes:

:-({|=

Feeling a little ignorant here,

What is a piezo?

I've heard many referrences but no description.

Dave

As already stated its an acoustic pickup which is hidden in the bridge.. In this picture you can see where the wire comes from the body into the bridge...

chess002-1.jpg

Regards

Archived