Gibson Brands Forums

just pre-ordered malmsteens new album

S t e v e

It wasn't a direct on you, Shred. Many peeps have said this and rag on him.... I mean no discord. You're ok in my book despite what Duane, Neo, and dem00n have been pm'ing me about... [laugh]

Ah well...Duane and Neo I can handle but dem00n?!?!?! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I like shredding in short bursts...I'm amazed by those who can do it. I don't think i will ever have that skill...

I actually like his playing. It's not real gimmicky and the harmonic minor he seems to love so dearly sounds cool over the right chord changes. I just wish he had some songs! He was great in Alcatraz, but I can't listen to most of his solo stuff.

I don't mind shredding, but I do mind pretentious, self absorbed ******bags like Malmsteen :angry:

A few years back, I was standing close enough to him in the Dallas Renaissance Hotel to hear him ask the concierge if he could have a "private" elevator. "Pretentious, self absorbed" is right on the mark.

Mr. Hazlenut, I can almost forgive you your crush on GM, but, Malmsteen?

And, yes, I have heard his stuff. I was a "captive" listener on a four hour road trip with a driver who was a Malmsteen nut.

His first solo album is great, both for it's writing and playing. The tone is so liquid like and one of my favourite metal tones. Maybe it is just me, but I have always found his so called 'arrogance' to be very much him playing to the public, much like an American wrestler does LOL

Matt

Glad you are enjoying it!

My wife and I saw Yngwie at the Hammwersmith Odean a few years back. It was a great show and he was on fire. What really tickled us was his competition with the lead singer.

So many times the singer would go to talk to the audience and Yngwie would either talk over him on his mic and take over or they would go to speak at the same time. We laughed because the front man had an identity crisis of what his roll was!

At the end when the band all lined up to bow, Yngwie pointed to the front man and gestured for him to stand at the end and not in the middle!, Yngwie then positioned himself in the middle LMAO.

Matt

YES! He was great in Alcatraz!

His first 2 solo albums had some great songs on it too, but he's not doing anything "exciting" to listen to anymore for me.

have you heard the album he done in the mid 90's titled "inspiration"?...fantastic covers on there

heres one off it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgqry2BoK08

have you heard the album he done in the mid 90's titled "inspiration"?...fantastic covers on there

heres one off it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgqry2BoK08

Ok, I liked that but he's doing a cover. I like the original song and he did a great version of it.

That still doesn't change what I got from listening to that track from his new album.

I never said that he can't play or I would never see him perform again, just that his albums of original songs are starting to bleed together for me and aren't very different, at least to my ear.

Archived