Gibson Brands Forums

Distance strings to pickups?

MrSaint

I am a bit unsure about this, the distance between strings and pickups. What's the distance to prefer?

They said at the local music store that when intonating, I should not have the strings too close to the pickups.. But they forgot to mention a desired distance..

Confused is what I am right now.

It really depends on the type of pick-ups, type of guitar, how it's set up and personal preference.

too far and the output is weaker than it should be, to close and you run the risk of them sounding muddy and/or interfering with the vibration of the strings. What i do is start with them too low and bring them up a couple of mm at a time until i find a sweet spot that i'm happy with.

I know you were probably looking for actual numbers, i am sure that there is probably a rough guide for humbuckers and singles somewhere on the net, but it is better to just use your ear.

I am a bit unsure about this, the distance between strings and pickups. What's the distance to prefer?

They said at the local music store that when intonating, I should not have the strings too close to the pickups.. But they forgot to mention a desired distance..

Confused is what I am right now.

That's not a question that can be answered without knowing several things.

What brand and model of guitar are talking about?

What kind of pickups?

What kind of sound are you looking for?

How do you play the guitar? Lightly? Heavey Handed?

Every major brand has specs on what distance is recommended. You can find these by using Google.

But each player has their own idea of what sounds good. So this is not an objective thing. It it is quite subjective.

So get back with some of the questions I asked, and then your question can answered.

-Gibson recommends 1/16" for the bridge p'up and 3/32" for the neck on an SG when the strings are fretted at the last fret. You can use this as a guideline and adjust from there to see what works for you.

L8R,

Matt

Matt is correct. This distance is neasured by pressing your string at the LAST FRET, then

measuring the distance fron the bottom of the string to the top in the pup screw head.

I set mine up that way, then usually end up turning the screw counter-clockwide 1/2 turn or mote

to "lower' it just "that much" - prevents the pup magnetism from interfering with the string vibration.

(MY personal preference),

Since you now know the "optimum stettings" for the pups, you can experiment with different

distances to find the tone that YOU like, Worst case, put 'em back to the distance MATT mentioned!

I adjusted mine "by ear" a while back, on my SG. After that, I always had problems with tuning and intonation.

I took it in to the local music store and was told that I had the pickups too close to the strings, and the magnetic pull threw everything else off all up and down the neck.

They didn't charge me for the setup, but I learned a little something about getting it too close.

Ok.. Sorry that I did not mention it. But the guitar is an Epiphone G400 Goth. Everything is factory, i.e. completely original.

The problem I have, is that I use the metric system and not inches.. I can't convert, I tried using online converters..

But then Ok: Neck pickup should be 3/32" (that would be 2.3 millimeters)

And the bridge pickup 1/16" (1.5 millimeters).

Nevermind.. Ok, now I know what to measure against. Thanks again!

Archived