Gibson Brands Forums

Paint/Lacquer Chipping Questions

Time Consumer

I gone and dinged my guitar!

I have a small chip in the paint and the wood is exposed. It's pretty small, but my one question is, does the paint keep chipping and grow? I'm really worried about the paint chipping more and that spot growing and growing and growing...I can't seem to break it with my fingernail or anything; does the lacquer "Keep is all together" so to say, and keep it from chipping unless it takes a blow strong enough to break the lacquer?

Dings and chips can be repaired, but guitars are built and meant to be played...Almost all guitars will be damaged somehow at some point...Guitars are generally quite durable.......In 1998 I threw a nice expensive Hamer through a closed window from two stories up.....Still works fine....Dropped a Gibson LP Custom from about 20 feet up onto concrete.....worked fine......on the otherhand, I've shot a handful of guitars, they did not work afterwords.....

Yep, first chip. My Strat is poly so it never gets damage.

I'm 100% fine with the visual aspect of a chip. I've already had one person tell me it looks cool. :D I'm only worried about the nick expanding, which you guys thankfully assured me that I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks all!

Archived