Gibson Brands Forums

The Ashes

albertjohn

For those of you across the pond, who don't know how cricket's played, here's a quick summary of the Rules:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Cricket's so easy!

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Albertjohn...

Okay, I can see why the game likely wasn't much played in the American colonies. Those who immigrated prior to the 1770s civil war/revolution weren't likely to have a majority of serious exponents of the game - and afterward... well, it was a different world. Canada... I dunno. Except for the maritime provinces, then Quebec, I think the Anglophone Canadians have far more in common with their cousins generally to the south than either folks sometimes care to admit. (I tease friends in Toronto that they're southerners, at least compared to where I live.)

It also looks as if cricket and baseball evolved into the type of more broadly accepted spectator sports at roughly the same sort of time period. But then, that's when spectator sports evolved more or less as we know them today. So....

Interesting.

BTW, I rather enjoy American football especially, although work keeps me from watching much. Frankly there, or in other team sports I know enough to enjoy watching, I enjoy the play and consider myself a fan of the game, not the teams or players... That's especially true of American football.

m

Bob....

Can they smoke tobacco? <chortle>

Sounds like a cool one and a smoke along side the field might be a good idea. Kinda like our baseball. Except our players chew and spit tobacco while awaiting their time to go in to get out.

m

For those of you across the pond, who don't know how cricket's played, here's a quick summary of the Rules:

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Cricket's so easy!

Sad thing for me is that you are probably right on in this description!

In all honesty, I've watched cricket in South Africa, Australia and England and still don't really "get" it. Maybe I'm just plain and simply dense. Soccer is way easier to follow. Still want to understand cricket so I can at least appear somewhat sofisticated. [scared]

Cricket's so easy!

Lessee...

You put out-man in...

You put the in-man out...

You put the out-man in...

And you shake him all about!

Do the Hokey-Pokey...

And you turn your self around....

That's what cricket's all about!

You're right....Cricket IS easy!

Lessee...

You put out-man in...

Do the Hokey-Pokey...

hilarious!

Lessee...

You put out-man in...

Do the Hokey-Pokey...

EXCELLENT!!!!! ;)

I'm reminded of a famous (in the UK) commentary quote from (I think) Brian Johnston during an England vs West Indies test match -

England batsman, Peter Willie facing the West Indian fast-bowler, Michael Holding....

"And the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willie."

I'm reminded of a famous (in the UK) commentary quote from (I think) Brian Johnston during an England vs West Indies test match -

England batsman, Peter Willie facing the West Indian fast-bowler, Michael Holding....

"And the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willie."

HAHAHAHA..... much like the time Johnny Carson asked Arnold Palmer's wife if she did anything for Arnold for good luck before he stared a big golf tournament....

She said, "Yes, I kiss his balls".....

as soon as she said it, she KNEW it was wrong...

but Johnny said, "I'll bet THAT makes his putter stand up!"

Lessee...

You put out-man in...

Do the Hokey-Pokey...

Very good Bob.

This made me chuckle today.

Two former international cricket captains and heroes in the respective countries, maintaining a long established hate for each other.

Beefy would muller him!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1336280/ASHES-2010-Ian-Botham-Ian-Chappell-new-bust-up.html

Archived