Gibson Brands Forums

Ahh action adjustment

neilpanda

Well...I picked up my strat today and noticed there was a lot of string buzz.

so I took it to my office and measured it. was a little too low so you know...

I adjusted it. but AGH! Im so used to soft strings (EB Classic rock Super Slinkys)

and now, they just feel stiff. I guess I'll just have to get used to it...or get new strings? [confused]

Tehbeast,

Have you checked the neck relief lately?

You don't say what gauge strings you use.

As Mcmurray mentions, Many people like 9s on Fenders. I have 10s on my Strat and have no problem.

My neighbor brought his over because he was getting a lot of fret buzz. (He uses 9s) The humidity from the season changes alone had caused his to start buzzing. I readjusted the truss rod, reset the string heights and it played great.

His strings only seemed too low because the relief had become so bad the neck was practically back bowed.

Willy

I took my 2009 Nighthawk to my lesson a week ago and it played like crap. Strings were hard to bend, was just not smooth to play at all.

I got it back out yesterday and was going to change the strings but noticed I had already put D'Addario 10s on it so I started investigating.

Ended up lowering the bridge and tightening the truss rod just a bit to take some bow out.. Now it plays better than it ever has. Don't know why I had not gotten around to tweaking it before or if the recent change in weather got it out of whack.

Tehbeast,

Have you checked the neck relief lately?

You don't say what gauge strings you use.

As Mcmurray mentions, Many people like 9s on Fenders. I have 10s on my Strat and have no problem.

My neighbor brought his over because he was getting a lot of fret buzz. (He uses 9s) The humidity from the season changes alone had caused his to start buzzing. I readjusted the truss rod, reset the string heights and it played great.

His strings only seemed too low because the relief had become so bad the neck was practically back bowed.

Willy

well I got my neck relief checked and my shop tech said it was good. I use 9s and like I said in the original post, I just adjusted my action.

not too sure what to do. Ill probably just take it to a tech at a fender dealer nearby and see what he says. Thanks for your guys' help though!

Beastie [thumbup]

Archived