Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Head Stock ES-339 on Ebay

G McBride

I know it will be an easy repair but wouldn't the value of this guitar be a lot less than the asking price?

I have always been told that a headstock break would cut the value by half even if it is a clean repair.

Same thing happened to my son's SG. I read somewhere that the headstock break is so common that a pro repaired crack has marginal effect on value. I never got the chance to test the theory. When I reported the break to Gibson, they replaced the guitar. Even though the guitar was only a month or so out of the store, I was only expecting a repair. Good folks up there in Nashville!

Rgds,

Jeff

'94 ES-135

Same thing happened to my son's SG. I read somewhere that the headstock break is so common that a pro repaired crack has marginal effect on value.

Absolutely not true... It will reduce the value by about 1/2 depending of course on how bad the break is, who repaired it, and the quality of the repair... I once bought a 72 les paul deluxe gold top for $900 that had a replaced headstock where the repair done was an absolute work of incredible art... I used to show off that repair all the time with folks looking with amazement...

But the moral of the story is I got a vintage gold top les paul for $900... Only because nobody wants to own a les paul with a headstock repair... Well, except me of course...

I think $1,529.99 is a ridiculous asking price for this guitar and apparently so does everyone else looking to buy a 339 on e-bay. The seller would be far better off repairing and then try selling it or lower the buy it now price significantly.

Absolutely not true... It will reduce the value by about 1/2 depending of course on how bad the break is, who repaired it, and the quality of the repair... I once bought a 72 les paul deluxe gold top for $900 that had a replaced headstock where the repair done was an absolute work of incredible art... I used to show off that repair all the time with folks looking with amazement...

But the moral of the story is I got a vintage gold top les paul for $900... Only because nobody wants to own a les paul with a headstock repair... Well, except me of course...

I actually tried to find the article I read, but found a lot of folks that agree with you. So I'll stipulate that the break is a drag on resale. I'm doubly happy that the SG was replaced with a new one. Cheers!

!B7g8lgQCWk~$(KGrHqIOKiYEy9OK-eDLBM0,tUzcRQ~~_3.JPG

Really too bad, but not happening for me: $500 dollars and about the same for the repair, and then plan on keeping it because it won't be easy to sell later, unless your giving it away. Or you could buy it for 400 dollars, not fix it, sell the case, pups, tuners, tail piece, basically part it out and make a few dollars.

I seen this a few weeks ago. I was going to write this guy an email and basically say "are you dreaming?" My thought, and what I've seen, on a broken head stock is if its a good repair, its would be worth about half what he could get if it wasn't broken. I think IF it was repaired well, it would be worth 700-800. Just my thought.

Cut the price in half? I wouldn't touch a guitar with a broken headstock with a 10' pole. Half is wishful thinking.

The good news is that Gibson seems to have done away with the step at the nut that caused a lot of these...but obviously it still happens, as shown on the 339 above.

I got a call today from one of the salesman I deal with at Sam Ash who knew I was looking for an ES 339. He called to tell me they just got in a new black one. I had my coat on and was leaving the house to go see it when he called back and told me they had just unpacked it and discovered that the neck was broken. I went to the store just to look at it. I have yet to see a black 339. The neck was broken in the same place as the one posted on e-bay. I am now 0-2 when it comes to purchasing a new 339. I wonder what the percentage of guitars shipped from Gibson end up with broken necks? It can't be too high. What a shame, it was a beautiful guitar. I guess I will have to wait a little longer to find one.

Kenny V

A lot of you guys seem to be petrified of broken headstocks. There's no need to be. A PROPER repair by a good luthier can be done for $100-200 tops, and you will end up with a neck STRONGER than what was there before. The glue is stronger than the wood. I've seen neck repairs posted by people that you can barely tell, and some of these were done 10 years ago, or more, and they still play beautifully.

If I could pickup an LP, or a 335, 339, etc for half price because it has a repaired neck, I would definitely consider it.

I got a call today from one of the salesman I deal with at Sam Ash who knew I was looking for an ES 339. He called to tell me they just got in a new black one. I had my coat on and was leaving the house to go see it when he called back and told me they had just unpacked it and discovered that the neck was broken. I went to the store just to look at it. I have yet to see a black 339. The neck was broken in the same place as the one posted on e-bay. I am now 0-2 when it comes to purchasing a new 339. I wonder what the percentage of guitars shipped from Gibson end up with broken necks? It can't be too high. What a shame, it was a beautiful guitar. I guess I will have to wait a little longer to find one.

Kenny V

I can't believe they don't do a better job of protecting the headstock, since it's the weak point.

A lot of you guys seem to be petrified of broken headstocks. There's no need to be. A PROPER repair by a good luthier can be done for $100-200 tops, and you will end up with a neck STRONGER than what was there before. The glue is stronger than the wood. I've seen neck repairs posted by people that you can barely tell, and some of these were done 10 years ago, or more, and they still play beautifully.

If I could pickup an LP, or a 335, 339, etc for half price because it has a repaired neck, I would definitely consider it.

Assuming it doesn't affect the tone, because the neck is no longer one piece of mahogany...you're assuming you get a "proper" repair for the $200. Because if it turns out it won't set up, or he can't install a nut properly...all you've got is a useless POS that you can't even sell if you tried. And you know the luthier isn't going to stand behind his work on something like that. Not worth the headache, in my opinion.

Assuming it doesn't affect the tone, because the neck is no longer one piece of mahogany...you're assuming you get a "proper" repair for the $200. Because if it turns out it won't set up, or he can't install a nut properly...all you've got is a useless POS that you can't even sell if you tried. And you know the luthier isn't going to stand behind his work on something like that. Not worth the headache, in my opinion.

What you're describing is all hypothetical. There are THOUSANDS of repaired Gibson necks out there. I did say a "reputable luthier". (For example, there's a luthier at BCR Music who is practically famous over at MyLesPaul.com [bCRGreg], who has repaired some necks that were damaged beyond belief).

And even if the neck repair is botched by someone who isn't qualified, it's not that hard to steam the glue joints apart and do it correctly. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I don't personally own any repaired necks because I was able to purchase new guitars and I haven't dropped them (yet [unsure] ).

All I'm saying is don't be scared off by a broken neck if, especially if you can get an otherwise great guitar for significantly less.

Check out this example.

• 1 month later...

Hey Fish,

Don't know if you remember me, but you recommended me to Greg at BCR a few months back. I sent him my ES-359 and have gotten it back and all i can say is - WHOA. he did an amazing job. I actually was getting on here to try to post some pics in that old thread. wonder if it would be better to try it here?

scott

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/127/l_1dbd1b042e5d409e9b8b2c2924f427da

i dont think that worked.

here is the 73 lp duluxe I used to own... Boy do I regret selling it !!! I bought it for $900 and it had a beautiful headstock replacement... There were absolutely no issues with it's tone or playabitlity ... The headstock was as good as new...

post-3646-094948200 1296445593_thumb.jpg

post-3646-007335600 1296445622_thumb.jpg

Archived