Gibson Brands Forums

Semi heist: Anybody feel like talking about Dr. Z Stangray?

Hall

Excuse, if I posted such already, but I have to wait another month to get to try one! I have 45 yrs worth of big Fenders out the very wazoo. I'm looking at the Dr. Z Stangray half stack. Any opinions on it?. I play 335s, Paul R8 and Strat & Teles also. No metal, more 60ies flavor with pedals. Thanks.

Steve

ChanMan,

Thanks, for the straight reply anyway.

Steve

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaresz & saturn:

Ok, I deserved that one and I'm laughing also. *Had to edit to say, boy I did walk into that one, didn't I!

HG. I've been gigging a Mesa Blue Angel 1;12 for over a year. It has 3 modes, 1; is 2;6V6's class A for 15 watts, 2; is 4 EL84's class A for 30 watts, the third combines all 6 for 38 watts. I gig 40/50 weekends a year and it has been bulletproof. It's very similar to the StangRay if I recall because it has no master volume. I love a lo wattage tube amp without a master volume, just crank it. It sits on it's road case, and plays small clubs, 200/300 unmiked and cranked every weekend.

I've been using a 91 American 3 burst Tele for about 2 years. I played a 72 Les Paul for 14 years, and still have the 79 S.G. that was used on the DOUBLE AUGHT cd. (cdbaby), and am on the verge of buying an R8 actually, if I get my hands on one I like.

Mesa doesn't make any non master amps anymore, the LSS doesn't have a non master channel, so I'm thinking if my Blue Angel died, I'd be looking at the good Dr. myself. The band I've been with for the last 2 years does a mix of Country, Blues, Classic/Southern Rock, and Motown.

Another interesting amp, although discontinued, is the Fender Prosonic. It was designed by Bruce Zinky, and has a non master channel, and a dual cascading gain channel. 2 6L6's, Tube rectifier/or not (switch) class A/or not (switch) and cool as crap. Fender came out with the "Supersonic" a while back to try to fondle the cult following of the Prosonic, but it's a totally different design. It's there if I need gain, but I'm more into clean these day.

Best of luck.

Murphy Slaw.

Hey Steve, I forgot to mention. I LOVE EL84 amps. My Boogie breaks up so nice. I hate to admit I learned about EL84's with a Peavey Classic 50. But it was in the DOUBLE AUGHT days, and we were a very hard hitting band if you heard the cd. (cdbaby.com). I used my Marshall on that cd, but used a Peavey Classic 50 2;12 combo for most of the gigs following the recording, because I could get the SG to break up those EL84's so nice.

Best of luck, my friend.

Murph.

I don't have a Stangray,but I do have a Mazarati 1X12 combo and I would have to say you won't go wrong with Dr.Z. The build quality and the choice of components and transformers is second to none. I had 2 Boogies and they both were fine except for so many knobs to keep you distracted and constant tweaking for tweakers. The Mazarati has Volume and Tone and that's it! The Tone control is very musical and the range between 10 and 2 is very usable. I feel it's one of the best buys for the money if you want to get into boutique territory. If you really want to have the Holy Grail of tone, find some NOS tubes to replace the stock ones and plug and play. Now I just concentrate on my playing and not worry about my tone! I got it all.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. It is "boutique" time and its killing me to wait for Willcutts to get me a Stangray in to try. I'm taking a 335, Beck Strat and the R8. I'll probably send out for lunch too! I was wondering what you guys right here thought of the Ray and Dr. Z products, as I wait. I'll also have a chance to try a Mesa of my choice, as well as the Stangray, during my "appointment".

* Murph & Sricabla, thank you each for your efforts to provide me some real info. That is just what I needed.

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaresz:

No problem. I can take a joke!

Steve

Archived