Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!!!! Epi. Ace Frehley model Les Paul

sdjjadk

Hey guy's Great news!!! I decided to take the day off and take a trip back to the music store and exchange the guitar out but decided to have it fixed instead. And I'll explain why in a reply to an above question. The repair guys at the store are awesome! They were able to fix it within a couple hours. They re-seated the inserts and made sure they won't come back out but yet still removable if I ever wanted to upgrade the tail piece and bridge. They reset the intonation and now she plays and sounds like a Les Paul should. Also, the issue with the pup selector was just a contact needed bent in a bit. While I was waiting for my guitar to get fixed and since I my financial adviser (a.k.a. my wife) wasn't with me, I bought a Switch Craft 3 pup toggle for future mod's, and a set Schaller strap locks. I also did some "window shopping" in the store and I sampled a Gibby Robot L.P. and man, those things are cool! On the way home, I stopped at a another music store that I have been wanting to check out and I bought a Tusk nut to replace the stock plastic one as well.

Shawn

Congrats on the Ace epi, bummer on the issues though. What about the other one they had for sale? I've been looking for one

Thanks for the Congrats. :) Luckily the issues have been sorted out. [thumbup]

And Yes they had one on display and it turned out that they had another one in the box. But, the display model had some scratches and some blemishes from people trying it out and it was missing the toggle switch tip and the tuners felt a little sloppy. The one in the box felt allot lighter and the flame maple top looked like a 5pm Friday job as one side of the veneer was nice and figured and the other side was almost plain looking like Epi, used whatever veneer they had on hand and it didn't look right to me and it just didn't feel as good as the one I got either. Now, don't get me wrong, it played fine, sounded fine, but it didn't seem to speak to me like the one I got if you know what I mean. I'm not sure how the forum mod's feel about advertisement, but If your looking to get a new Ace model L.P. PM me and I'll give you the number to the store and who knows they may be able to give you a good deal and I think they do shipping.

Shawn

Hey Shawn, you may still need to take the guitar back for the pup selector issue, but the intonation issue is possibly a DIY fix.

As you know I have one of these, and the three pup configuration is the main issue.

1000199s.jpg

The ordinary space between neck and bridge is altered on these models with the third pup thrown in, and as you see in this first pic, the angle of the strings from stop bar to bridge becomes very severe as the bridge had been shifted closer to the stop bar.

1000202e.jpg

Try overwrapping your strings like so...

1000201j.jpg

Then the angle is very much relieved, those splined inserts don't have nearly the force being exerted on them with the strings at full tension, and that should help with your intonation and bad notes above the 12th fret.

Hello Tuiblue, how goes it?

Thanks for the tip! What you are saying makes allot of sense and I never thought of that as this is my first 3 pup Les Paul. I'll try that on my next string change.

Also, I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's 9-42's and have been for the last 20+ years but the repair guy said that Les Paul's are better with heavier gauge strings. Have you ever heard that before?

Shawn

thats the epiphone ace? have better pics? dimarizo pups? GC in Ohio had a mint one for 900

Hi,

Yes it's the Epi, Ace Les Paul Custom with DiMarzio USA Super Distortion pup's. I will have my wife take some better pics as I'm not the best photographer in the world. [unsure]

Also was the one you saw in GC new? As $900.00 seems a bit high.

Shawn

As you know I have one of these, and the three pup configuration is the main issue.

1000199s.jpg

The ordinary space between neck and bridge is altered on these models with the third pup thrown in, and as you see in this first pic, the angle of the strings from stop bar to bridge becomes very severe as the bridge had been shifted closer to the stop bar.

1000202e.jpg

Try overwrapping your strings like so...

1000201j.jpg

Then the angle is very much relieved, those splined inserts don't have nearly the force being exerted on them with the strings at full tension, and that should help with your intonation and bad notes above the 12th fret.

I was going to shut up, but I can't, so,

A few notes about the above

- saying that "the bridge had been shifted closer to the stop bar" - is not right, the bridge is always 24.75" from the face of the nut, no matter how many pick ups your guit has.

Both these pictures should be in the DIY sticky section under "what not to do"

The first picture shows a Tailpiece way to low with more break angle on the strings than necessary and all that implies

The second picture show a tailpiece to high for the wrap technique, far too little break angle on the strings and posts that are getting yanked out and toppling over... what not to do.

Thanks for the Congrats. :) Luckily the issues have been sorted out. [thumbup]

And Yes they had one on display and it turned out that they had another one in the box. But, the display model had some scratches and some blemishes from people trying it out and it was missing the toggle switch tip and the tuners felt a little sloppy. The one in the box felt allot lighter and the flame maple top looked like a 5pm Friday job as one side of the veneer was nice and figured and the other side was almost plain looking like Epi, used whatever veneer they had on hand and it didn't look right to me and it just didn't feel as good as the one I got either. Now, don't get me wrong, it played fine, sounded fine, but it didn't seem to speak to me like the one I got if you know what I mean. I'm not sure how the forum mod's feel about advertisement, but If your looking to get a new Ace model L.P. PM me and I'll give you the number to the store and who knows they may be able to give you a good deal and I think they do shipping.

Shawn

PM sent. I've been looking for one of these for quite some time. The pics of yours are just killin' me. I got Xmas GAS and cash to back it up [woot]

I was going to shut up, but I can't, so,

A few notes about the above

- saying that "the bridge had been shifted closer to the stop bar" - is not right, the bridge is always 24.75" from the face of the nut, no matter how many pick ups your guit has.

Both these pictures should be in the DIY sticky section under "what not to do"

The first picture shows a Tailpiece way to low with more break angle on the strings than necessary and all that implies

The second picture show a tailpiece to high for the wrap technique, far too little break angle on the strings and posts that are getting yanked out and toppling over... what not to do.

Yes James,

Those pics are very old, I do admit, things are different on this git since those days:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/50361-painted-stop-bar-question/

The TP has been lowered, and doesn't have the torque on it as pictured in the original thread, and others since then. [blush]

The 24 3/4" distance is true, however, the bridge height to cover the third pup requires added bridge height to achieve the span clearance over the pups, and that leads to the excessive angle of strings from bridge to SB. (which was discussed in that thread)

Whether or not it belongs in the DIY file makes no difference to me, It was a git I was very unfamiliar with, and as is always true on forums like these, I'm only offering the help or advice that I can, based on my humble experience. It's not like there are dozens and dozens of 3 pup LP owners posting here.

I'm not a luthier, or a tech, I learn just as so many others, by reading, asking, researching, trial and error, and hoping to have a little fun on the way.

Now, all of that said, I don't appreciate the undertone of your post, taken as "you have no clue what the hell your doing", tis true, I didn't, but I learned, and that is the purpose of these forums, to pass along information good or bad. Dismissive posts like that just push people off.

Another "what not to do" [-X

Shawn- In response to your question about strings, yes I do use very thick strings on all of my guitars, flats 13-56. I can't use 9's or 10's, they tear my fingers up.

Hi,

Yes it's the Epi, Ace Les Paul Custom with DiMarzio USA Super Distortion pup's. I will have my wife take some better pics as I'm not the best photographer in the world. [unsure]

Also was the one you saw in GC new? As $900.00 seems a bit high.

Shawn

it was used but in perfect condition ,zero wear! I always wanted I guess some day I will have one. i could of had a brand new one 3 yrs ago for 800 I think but funds were tight. I have a 1959 epi instead.

what one you like better>?

honestly my Epi's

the dimarzio's in the Ace sound killer, I lowered the middle pup some as I don't use it a bunch and I kept hitting it with the pick..

I've used the Ace live a bunch, it always draws attention and sounds killer

but my fav is my plain top Epi LP Classic, love the thin neck, it's loaded with 57's..

honestly my Epi's

the dimarzio's in the Ace sound killer, I lowered the middle pup some as I don't use it a bunch and I kept hitting it with the pick..

I've used the Ace live a bunch, it always draws attention and sounds killer

but my fav is my plain top Epi LP Classic, love the thin neck, it's loaded with 57's..

I'm thinking about starting an Ace Epi. owners club thread. I think it would be interesting to see more pic's, any mods that may have been done as well as any variations in the finish and quality.

Let me know what you think.

Shawn

Congrats on the new guitar,and for getting all the bugs work out. I have the same guitar that I bought back in 2004 and I love it. I'm a huge KISS fan as well, and this was some thing I just had to have. The pics don't show how nice the flame really is, it looks a lot better in person.

th_011.jpg th_012-1.jpg

I also pick up a Ibanez Iceman IC400 and modified it to look more like a PS10, Next will be a Cort Axe bass, then my wall of KISS guitars will be complete.

Congrats on the new guitar,and for getting all the bugs work out. I have the same guitar that I bought back in 2004 and I love it. I'm a huge KISS fan as well, and this was some thing I just had to have. The pics don't show how nice the flame really is, it looks a lot better in person.

th_011.jpg th_012-1.jpg

I also pick up a Ibanez Iceman IC400 and modified it to look more like a PS10, Next will be a Cort Axe bass, then my wall of KISS guitars will be complete.

Sweet Ace L.P. you got! And your right, pictures don't show how nice the flame top's really are!

Shawn

Wooohoooo!!! happy, happy NGD x 2 and here is the other NIB Ace Frehley Epi that sdjjadk mentioned earlier in this thread. It now resides at my house!!!!!!!! Yeah the vaneer top ain't perfectly bookmatched like my other MIK plus top but I don't mind. The neck is a bit fatter than the std. I likey!! She plays great!!!!

2004 Ace Epi This axe flat out rocks!!!!!!!!!!

AceEpi.jpg

Wooohoooo!!! happy, happy NGD x 2 and here is the other NIB Ace Frehley Epi that sdjjadk mentioned earlier in this thread. It now resides at my house!!!!!!!! Yeah the vaneer top ain't perfectly bookmatched like my other MIK plus top but I don't mind. The neck is a bit fatter than the std. I likey!! She plays great!!!!

2004 Ace Epi This axe flat out rocks!!!!!!!!!!

AceEpi.jpg

Congrats Mark your new ACE looks awesome!

Glad to see it arrived. HNGD!!!!!

Welcome to the ACE Club!

Just make sure you install some Schaller strap locks like I do on all my guitars. The stock strap buttons on both my standard and Ace were loose and pulled out! The screws for the Schallers will be too small, but if you glue in some tooth pick pieces in the body with a dab of Tite Bond wood glue before installing the new strap buttons, your good to go after 24 hours of cure time.

Shawn

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if GIBSON made an Ace Frehley model Les Paul, NOT Epiphone?

If so, what were the years of manufacture, etc., ?

I bought one on eBay and I am not sure if I got a deal or am being scammed.

Here is the link: My link

Thanks,

John

I doubt that is a real Gibby at that price, Ace Frehley model or not. If it is, you just got the deal of the century!

Archived