Gibson Brands Forums

Gear Blues

EVOL!

Not a good weekend for my gear.

The last two weeks my Taylor 110 has not been playing well. No matter how I try to set her up the action on the bottom strings is way too high. The neck is arrow straight so I brought her in to have her looked at. The luthier said the neck pitch is not good. It is either tightening the nut inside the body that stabilizes the neck joint (easy and cheap) or the neck is coming unglued (very bad).

Before I even brought the guitar in I spent the entire two and half hour rehearsal fiddling with my Boss TU-2 because she was shorting out. Although I was planning on replacing my TU-2 after the first of the year, looks like I'll be picking up a new one today or tomorrow. Decided on the Polytune over the PitchBlack because the Polytune is accurate to half a cent. Not sure if it is 100% true bypass, but I need a buffer pedal in my chain so I may put it third after my FuzzFactory and OD808.

Not a good weekend for my gear.

The last two weeks my Taylor 110 has not been playing well. No matter how I try to set her up the action on the bottom strings is way too high. The neck is arrow straight so I brought her in to have her looked at. The luthier said the neck pitch is not good. It is either tightening the nut inside the body that stabilizes the neck joint (easy and cheap) or the neck is coming unglued (very bad).

Before I even brought the guitar in I spent the entire two and half hour rehearsal fiddling with my Boss TU-2 because she was shorting out. Although I was planning on replacing my TU-2 after the first of the year, looks like I'll be picking up a new one today or tomorrow. Decided on the Polytune over the PitchBlack because the Polytune is accurate to half a cent. Not sure if it is 100% true bypass, but I need a buffer pedal in my chain so I may put it third after my FuzzFactory and OD808.

That sucks man. I really want a Taylor, but my 150 Samick is sounding pretty good... I hope it isn't anything bad.

The Polytune is really badass though, glad you decided on that one. I'm hoping on one for Christmas or something. Hope all else goes well man

My acoustic friends love the acoustic forum...There may be some insight there...Taylors are nice guitars; even a costly proper repair will be worth it, but you know that...

Yeah. The 110 model is laminate back and sides, but the top is solid and she just sings. The board is unbound ebony. Very bare bones, working man's acoustic. Reminds me of my SG Special's fretboard.

The Polytune is really badass though, glad you decided on that one. I'm hoping on one for Christmas or something. Hope all else goes well man

Thanks. Think I am going to sneak out to the music store tomorrow so I have it for Tuesday rehearsal. Need to find out if it is true bypass. Online searches have confused this. Might put it after my dirt boxes and before my color pedals. Need to redo my pedal board anyway.

It can be pretty annoying trying to figure out if a pedal is true bypass or not. If you can find some gut shots where the switch is visible it should be pretty easy to tell.

I "need" a pedal tuner and a clean boost. I want a goatkeeper. So much gear, so little cash.

Since you are planning to rewire your pedal board anyway, buy a switch and run your tuner on it's own loop.

Then you can click it on or off as needed without it being part of our signal chain. I run a three way switch:

loop 1 is my "dirty" amp, loop 2 is my clean amp, and loop 3 is just my PolyTune. I can have all or none of

the loops running at once.

I got it! $85 plus tax at Chicago Music Exchange. Guy tried to charge me $99 then I told him that they list the pedal for $85 on their website. Must have been Greek like me. Why are my people so shifty? j/k. He scanned the tag without looking at the price.

Anyway, the pedal is true bypass. Plugged her in with no power and the signal came through. Very sharp tuning compared to my old TU-2. Has the same utility functions too (can run a daisy chain off of it and power my other pedals).

Is it strange to be so excited about a tuner pedal?

I got it! $85 plus tax at Chicago Music Exchange. Guy tried to charge me $99 then I told him that they list the pedal for $85 on their website. Must have been Greek like me. Why are my people so shifty? j/k. He scanned the tag without looking at the price.

Anyway, the pedal is true bypass. Plugged her in with no power and the signal came through. Very sharp tuning compared to my old TU-2. Has the same utility functions too (can run a daisy chain off of it and power my other pedals).

Is it strange to be so excited about a tuner pedal?

No, I might have to try that over there if I can find the time... good deal man.

Archived