Gibson Brands Forums

standard Vs deluxe

bigneil

Hi everybody, I better re-introduce myself here as i haven't posted here in the Gibby lounge for over a year and a half. I have not posted here ever since my les paul was stolen! it was a gorgeous 2004 red wine standard with a 60's profile neck and a AA maple top. [crying]

n1821480400_291_4303672.jpg

Ok, now we got that bit out of the way, I was wondering if there were any differences between a standard and a deluxe. What sparked my interest was finding an old photo of my father from the early 80's with his band mates in which he is proudly brandishing a gold top deluxe with the mini humbuckers. when i asked him about it, he said that it was one of the best sounding and playing guitars he ever had (and he has owned a few in his time) !

are there any differences other than the mini humbuckers ?

Visiting from the Epi Forum are we ?? Today there are LP Standards and LP Standard Traditionals, and different models within each genre. LP Standards are chambered and LP Standard Traditionals are weight relieved...Chambered means hollowed inside. Weight relieved means 9 holes are drilled into the body to 'relieve' weight. LP Deluxes aren't currently being made ( except Custom Shop )...Full size humbuckers sound much different than mini humbuckers...If you are hoping to replace your beloved 2004 LP I recommend a LP Standard Traditional Plus.....Or find a used LP similar to your old one....Or find a used Deluxe....anymore questions ??? If you want a solid body Standard you'll have to go Custom Shop or a LP Standard from before late 2005.......

I have a 77 deluxe and personally I never really dug the sound of the min-humbucker. I tried putting a seymour duncan replacement in it and still didn't like it. So I finally said Screw it and (All Gibson Vintage crazies please leave before reading further) Routed it out and put a Pearly Gates Humbucker in it. I would have just sold it or traded it in on a Custom but the guitar has a lot of sentimental value to me and I will never part wit it. I hated the fact of having a great guitar that I didn't like to play so I just made it my own.... Good luck with your quest. Play a deluxe or something with mini humbuckers before you decide.

Andy

I have a 77 deluxe and personally I never really dug the sound of the min-humbucker. I tried putting a seymour duncan replacement in it and still didn't like it. So I finally said Screw it and (All Gibson Vintage crazies please leave before reading further) Routed it out and put a Pearly Gates Humbucker in it. I would have just sold it or traded it in on a Custom but the guitar has a lot of sentimental value to me and I will never part wit it. I hated the fact of having a great guitar that I didn't like to play so I just made it my own.... Good luck with your quest. Play a deluxe or something with mini humbuckers before you decide.

Andy

A Pearly Gates in the bridge, and a mini kept in the neck ?? Any pics ?? Sounds like a nice mod....[thumbup]

Hi bigneil.

Not much to add, really, just to say welcome back but a real shame about the circumstances.

I remember how pleased you were when you found your LP. Very sorry to hear aboout it's theft. Any chance of tracking it down? Would you like to post the serial number so we in the UK can all keep an open-eye? It's quite noticable and a lot less common than the usual 'burst.

Good luck in finding it's replacement.

P.

Thank you for all your responses [thumbup]

Ruby was originally a gift from my father, He told me he inherited it from one of his old band mates, which turned out to be a lie [thumbdn] . he probably got it cheep through some sort of dodgy dealings, but i never did get a straight answer. I also did not alert the police because i suspect that it was dad who took it back because the thief never stole anything other than the guitar.

I bought this to be ruby's replacement, 67669_1292023360291_1821480400_585314_8307323_n.jpg

but i do miss having a les paul and wanted to save up for one. i have 3 electric guitars all with the 2 humbucker configuration and fancied something with a slightly different flavour which is when the deluxe started to seem attractive. I am doing a little homework on it and part of that includes asking for your opinions on it, as well as reading reviews and extensive googling [thumbup] . one of the things that i was curious about was if it differed in any way to an lp standard at the time of it's original launch in the late 60's in terms of wood, construction, trim level etc ?

are there any differences other than the mini humbuckers ?

As originally designed and manufactured, the were NO differences between the Deluxe and the Standard, they were the same guitar with different pickups. The 70's Deluxe was based on a 50's P-90 Standard,and the reissue of the Standard in the mid-70's was a Deluxe routed for standard humbuckers. In fact the first reissue Standards of that period had "Deluxe" serial number decals.

As originally designed and manufactured, the were NO differences between the Deluxe and the Standard, they were the same guitar with different pickups. The 70's Deluxe was based on a 50's P-90 Standard,and the reissue of the Standard in the mid-70's was a Deluxe routed for standard humbuckers. In fact the first reissue Standards of that period had "Deluxe" serial number decals.

Thanks, [thumbup] . Saving up for a Gibby les paul is going to be a long range GAS which will give me plenty of time to try out different models and pickups and decide which i like best.

Thanks again every body for all your replies.

Archived