Gibson Brands Forums

Classic '57s upgrade

rjay777

Wonderfully warm aren't they? The pups and the chambered body were what I didn't like about the Classic. Of course, I must admit I have not heard 57 classics in a chambered body so maybe that's not fair. The other chambered LPs besides the Classic I played didn't have 57 classics in them either.

No doubt, these babies are warm and creamy. I've used BB's and have the 498's in the DC, but never had the 57's. I'm hooked. [biggrin]

I'm not sure if there would be a HUGE difference between the chambered and non-chambered guitars, but the subtlties will be there.

I don't really know how much weight relief there is in mine, but it feels a bit heavier than a few other classics I've tried.

The pups change is about as extreme as it gets though, especially going from the hot ceramics to these badboys.

I like the '57 Classics too.

Wonderfully warm aren't they? The pups and the chambered body were what I didn't like about the Classic. Of course, I must admit I have not heard 57 classics in a chambered body so maybe that's not fair. The other chambered LPs besides the Classic I played didn't have 57 classics in them either.

AFAIK, all '1960 Classic' guitars were weight-relieved; not chambered.

P.

I've never played a LP with 57 classics but I have them in my ES-339 semi-hollow and love them.

Dave

I took a chance actually, since I've never tested them out on a LP before hand. But yep,

the 57's and a good semi hollow are a match made in heaven. I'm seriously contemplating

a 339, or possibly a CS 336 somewhere down the road...that is if I find a super steal. [biggrin]

Don't know about a 1960 vintage classic. The ones I played were just 2006/7 models before they were discontinued and they were chambered. Wasn't aware this one was a 1960 vintage.

My classic (made in 2000) as posted is neither a reissue nor a vintage model. People tend to misconstrue the "Les Paul Classic 1960" as a reissue spec'd to that year.

It's just a discontinued standard production line model (later models are typically chambered). The 1960 stamp on the pickguard is nothing more than a homage to the last year of the original LP models.

The 57's just made it a wee bit more authentic. [biggrin]

Don't know about a 1960 vintage classic. The ones I played were just 2006/7 models before they were discontinued and they were chambered. Wasn't aware this one was a 1960 vintage.

You may well be right (and I'm certainly not going to say you are wrong), however I think all the regular '1960 Classic' guitars were weight-relieved. The 'Classic Antique' modelguitars were chambered. I'm not certain about the status of the '1960 Classic' models made after chambering was adopted for the 'Standard' Les Pauls but, as I say, I think they were all still weight-relieved until 2008 when they were finally discontinued (27 years after they first appeared - quite a long run!).

I could very well be completely wrong!!!

P.

You may well be right (and I'm certainly not going to say you are wrong), however I think all the regular '1960 Classic' guitars were weight-relieved. The 'Classic Antique' modelguitars were chambered. I'm not certain about the status of the '1960 Classic' models made after chambering was adopted for the 'Standard' Les Pauls but, as I say, I think they were all still weight-relieved until 2008 when they were finally discontinued (27 years after they first appeared - quite a long run!).

I could very well be completely wrong!!!

P.

Too many models . . .

You're right though. I was playing a "Classic Antique" version, chambered with the 496/500 pup config. several years ago before they were discontinued.

Now what we need is a Custom Classic Standard Studio Reissue.

Haven't looked. There probably is one.

Archived