Gibson Brands Forums

Video editing

Thundergod

Some of you guys post videos and while I don't really like videoing myself and posting stuff (I've only posted some songs of mine using mp3) I'm feeling like posting some videos (first will probably be a "name the amp, guitar, wood and pickups" [biggrin] and second will be a EMG test for Dem00n). Anyway, I've noticed some of you edit your videos (they aren't one long file but what looks like different takes) and I was wondering if there's any easy ways of doing that and if there are any easy to use, free softwares for doing that. My sound recording/editing/mixing software has video finishing capabilities but I don't know what that means and I have never used it for video (it's Nuendo from Steinberg). Can I use it for video editing? What kind of file should I get in order to end up with good enough audio and a size that would work fast on youtube?

Also, where should I upload my videos? Youtube? Is photobucket video friendly? [confused]

Thanks in advance. [thumbup]

I dont do anything fancy, so I just use Windows Movie Maker. It comes with XP. It lets me do fade transitions, brightness & contrast, frame splicing and all of the basic video editing features in a very basic way. I record with our little Canon point-n-shoot camera, so the videos are already smallish. You can resize through Movie Maker as well. I think the best compressed format is AVI. I'm forever a noob with this stuff. Too much to learn, too little time.

iMovie on the Mac works fine for me. Easy. Import clips. Edit. Done. You can add transitions and titles and some basic special effects. I can use good mics too if I want to take the time. The higher end Apple route is Final Cut. This is what they use in the film schools around here. Too complex for me though.

I dont do anything fancy, so I just use Windows Movie Maker. It comes with XP. It lets me do fade transitions, brightness & contrast, frame splicing and all of the basic video editing features in a very basic way. I record with our little Canon point-n-shoot camera, so the videos are already smallish. You can resize through Movie Maker as well. I think the best compressed format is AVI. I'm forever a noob with this stuff. Too much to learn, too little time.

Thanks so very much for that post RTH!

I'd been wondering how on Earth to edit and re-size 'movies' ever since I bought my new stills camera (Canon EOS 7D which can also shoot full 1080 HDMI movies) a few weeks ago.

After reading your suggestion I typed in Windows Movie Maker on my laptop and within ten mins had worked out a very simple edit and publish.

As one minute of HDMI shooting equated to around 450mb I really needed to find something that would let me get things to a postable size and it works really well.

Cheers again!

P.

Thanks so very much for that post RTH!

I'd been wondering how on Earth to edit and re-size 'movies' ever since I bought my new stills camera (Canon EOS 7D which can also shoot full 1080 HDMI movies) a few weeks ago.

After reading your suggestion I typed in Windows Movie Maker on my laptop and within ten mins had worked out a very simple edit and publish.

As one minute of HDMI shooting equated to around 450mb I really needed to find something that would let me get things to a postable size and it works really well.

Cheers again!

P.

You're very welcome! I'm glad my suggestion benefited somebody. Movie Maker is extremely simplistic and probably the easiest Windows based movie editor to use. Its great for prepping simple vids to post on YouTube, and if nothing else, its good for learning some basics before moving on to something more complicated.

450mb per 1min? Wow. Thats huge. I'll bet its great vid quality though.

Anyone use the full version of Quicktime?

Is it worth ponying up the bucks?

Quicktime Pro? I use it. Comes in handy for lots of quick editing stuff and converting video files from one type to another. You can also extract audio or video from .avi, .mpg, and. .mov files. It's helped me out enough times that I'd call it worth the 29.99.

Quicktime Pro? I use it. Comes in handy for lots of quick editing stuff and converting video files from one type to another. You can also extract audio or video from .avi, .mpg, and. .mov files. It's helped me out enough times that I'd call it worth the 29.99.

Thanks man!

My camera saves in .mov by default. I thought it might be easier to use it's native program for editing....

Archived