Gibson Brands Forums

The PurpleLP II Special (LesPurple) Needs Tuners

BlueEpiphone

I'm still happy with my new Epiphone purchase. I may need to replace the tuners, though. The 6th. and 5th. tuners feel stuck but then suddenly get sloppy as you overcome that tension. They also make a sharp knock sometimes (even when releasing string tension). Bad tuners? My impression is that they are ready to fail. My neighbor insists that strings play some role. I'm not sure . He claims that replacing his strings and putting graphite on all the string-to-hardware contact points solved his problem. My strings are still factory installed and are evenly wrapped on the spindles with no overlaps. Would lighter than original strings be worth trying as an interim fix until I upgrade the tuners?

I like the tuners I see on some of the better Epiphones models(the tuners with the greenish colored plastic keys). What do they call those. Are these good enough to consider for a permanent upgrade? Are there any models that fit without boring the headstock or relocating screw holes? What is the spindle dia. of the stock tuners? Has this subject already been covered in detail elsewhere on the Forums?

Thanks.

Blue,

I'm sure you'll get a few replies on this one.

In the meantime read this in it's entirety.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56904-what-to-do-when-tuners-dont-hold-tune/

You might also find some interesting info here:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/59750-tuners/

A pic of your current tuners would help but if they are the standard Special II tuners they are probably 8mm holes with bushings.

Willy

Blue,

Couple of other things.

Stock strings may look well wrapped but often they are lousy strings. Often they are not even "lock wound" on the tuners. This can cause slippage.

Sometimes the nut slots are too tight and bind the strings. That can cause a popping or clicking sound when tuning.

You can relieve the slots with torch tip cleaners. Just be careful not to lower the slots if you don't need to.

Torch tip cleaners run about $5 and can be bought at most welding supply companies. The sides are like files. Just use a gauge cleaning wire that is slightly larger than the string.

Torch-tip-cleaner.jpg

Willy

Blue - Willy has you going in the right direction. Your initial description of the

problem DOES sound like the strings are binding in the nut slots. I use liberal amounts

of Pencil Lead Graphite on all my gits, works great for me.

Epis come from the factory with .046 - .010 strings.

Unfortunately, the tuners that come from the factory with the Special II series of gits

are total "Gahr-Bahge". Most have internal problems with the Gears meshing correctly, as

you have read in the first link Willy posted. Having recently refinished a Special II LP

as a "project", I can attest to that fact.

Easiest (and Cheapest) check is graphite in nut slots. MAY help you out. Should you decide

to eventually replace the tuners (as your Git is quite a looker), check out the following

"GuitarFetish" link - good value for the money, and they have the style you mentioned in your OP.

Your Git has the Smaller Size holes (typically called 8mm), not the 10mm holes.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-Style-Three-On-A-Side_c_6.html

Of course, the "diagonal" screw mounting holes on the Special II tuners will be visible

if you replace the tuners. Those holes can be filled with toothpick and glue and color-matched

with CRAYONS (Hey, Willy came up with that one, still excellent idea).

The Power is YOURS! (or something like that.....) [thumbup]

Well, the advice proved sound and no more issues with the 6th. & 5th. tuners. Definitely what she needed. Thank-you. Now though, the 2nd. tuner is suffering internal slippage. I verified that the post will slip under mild string tension. It really looks cheap beneath the dust cover. The winding post gear is scored and the splines that lock it to the post are ripe for failure. I suppose the main adjustment consists of bending the base plate (on quality control "day"). Thanks for the GuitarFetish link. OK, I need to put ice on my head....

Thank you, Willy.

I live in Los Angeles. Sure, I am covered for two years by my extended warranty but I need to upgrade (not repair/replace). If they could just hand me a replacement tuner that will ease my guitar-withdrawl symptoms temporarily. I'm not willing to drop it (Her?) off for a week just to have one tuner replaced.

I'm sure good upgrade advice is to follow, yes? Mail order, no? I do like the greenies I see on better Epiphones. I'm not afraid to drill somes holes if necessary. I'm off to work and will be back this evening.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Thank you? For what? I haven't offered anything yet!...lol

Advise, sure....Probably should replace the tuners eventually....but....you say (not repair/replace) in one sentence.

You then say "If they could just hand me a replacement tuner that will ease my guitar-withdrawl symptoms temporarily."

That is what I'm offering. (no charge)

I removed a set of tuners from my grandson's Special II when I installed new tuners.

I still have them. If you would like them send me a PM with your mailing address and I will be happy to send them to you. With the extra set, you should be able to replace the one that you say is bad. I don't know if I still have the screws. That might be on you to reuse the old ones.

No biggy, your choice.

Merry Christmas,

Willy

Thank you, Willy!

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Say, I, TOO, live in Conus.... Have any leftover Guitars laying

around? Might ease my guitar-withdrawl symptoms temporarily (cough, cough...). [biggrin]

Good Show - When I was brand new to the OLD, OLD epi Forum, a member

sent ME a set of left-over G-400 pups in exchange for some knick-knacks

from Texas. Was too cool of him to do so.

Excellent gesture, Willy.

I will gladly accept your very generous offer Thank you very much. The best proof of my thanks is to accept your offer, take only what I need and extend the same to the next Epiphone owner who needs a tuner or two. When I receive the tuners I'll be sure to post an open offer to anyone in need of a replacement. I shall PM you ASAP (which should be no later than tommorow afternoon) with the details you need. Please expect a PM from me as soon as I return to my PC tommorow afternoon. Willy, animalfarm(and his Ted Koppel-haired-dog)and the others (who complimented the LesPurple) are helping to keep Epiphone owners loyal and satisfied. This is the REAL 24/7 Support!

Thank you for sending the tuners, Willy. I'll be needing all of them (all tuners have deep scoring on the brass gears). I will ship the functional Epi. tuners (free within the CONUS) just as soon as I install the upgrades.

Any sour feelings I had about the initial Epiphone ownership experience (wrong color, binding nut,and defective tuners) are gone thanks to you Forum members. I

got an otherwise great guitar but bad tuners will bring the music to a halt. I know that cheap tuners give newcomers the impression that tuning up is a chore and a pointless exercise that makes wanting a guitar a big mistake.

(P.S. Epiphone: Some people do not like purple: They will not wait five days to see anything purple...they will not pay for anything purple....they won't change their mind about purple.........I did all three!

I'll be needing all of them (all tuners have deep scoring on the brass gears). I will ship the functional Epi. tuners (free within the CONUS) just as soon as I install the upgrades.

I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression. The tuners I sent are not upgrades. As I stated, they are the tuners I took off my grandson's Special II. I just figured that between 12 tuners you should be able to come up with 6 that work. They seemed to work fine on his guitar. He just wanted to change out for Grovers.

To the rest of you:

Thank you for the compliments. I don't think that I did anything that anyone of you would not have done for another

forum member. After all we are here to help one and other and have fun.

Holiday best to all,

Willy

Good Morning, Willie,

As soon as you offered the tuners I knew that you were referring to the factory stock units used on the LP Special II and mentioned that they were removed from your grandson's guitar when he upgraded to Grover tuners.

I can sometimes confuse a simple situation so I'll clarify: I will eventually upgrade to better tuners, but in the meantime I'll gladly accept your Epiphone OEM tuner offer. I'll offer them up in the Epiphone Forum. You explained the tuners came from the Grandson's LP II. Whare did the other 6 come from?

Merry Christmas to you and your family,

Mike

Mike,

I'm not always good with my explanations so don't feel like you're alone.

As far as the 6/12 tuner explanation I was referring to the 6 that I sent you plus the 6 you already have.

Between the 12 tuners you should be able to come up with 6 usable tuners. (we hope)

By the way, did you get my reply to your PM?

If not, let me know and I will resend.

Willy

Ah, Animalfarm understand! (And I have the brain of a Dog wearing a Ted Koppel

Toupee!)

You WILL eventually have 12 tuners. Take the one(s) that will get you up and running

and use them. When you eventually upgrade, you will again have 12 to do with as you see fit.

Regarding your pups - they are 650R (neck) and 700T (bridge) Ceramic magnet pups. Are wound HOT

to produce a "nastier" sound. Should you ever upgrade (not really needed), save them! They make

GREAT 'Fridge Magnets! [biggrin]

Your beautiful "Purple" git is a keeper!

P.S. - take a few more pics! Full Guitar, front, back, etc.

Archived