Gibson Brands Forums

Found a Used LP Special, is it a good deal?

guitargreg1993

Hey everyone, I was in a local guitar shop today to get some humidipak refills for my acoustic, and they had a used 1996 Gibson LP Special (TV Yellow, 2 P90's, Dot inlays /w/ Fretboard Binding) for $750. It also included the (original i think?) case. It was in excellent condition with no big scratches, etc. It was one of the most beautiful guitars I've seen in awhile and it gave me some pretty serious GAS.... I really want to buy it....

My only concern is that I noticed it had a headstock crack, but it looked to have been professionally repaired... Is $750 a good deal despite the headstock crack?

I've heard that if a headstock crack is repaired professionally, it only ruins the value of the guitar, or in other words it won't alter the tone or sustain of the guitar. Is that right?? Also will that make it easier to accidentally crack the headstock again since it cracked once??

Any help is appreciated [biggrin]

Agreed.... If it were yours for years and you loved it and was never getting rid of it and you had the head stock repaired to save it that would be a different story. That's too much to start off with a repaired headstock. If your GAS for this goes away you'll have a hard time selling it!

I would offer $500 at the very most, that is if the guitar was giving me a fever.

Glue does come undone unless they used dowels (few luthiers do this apparently)

I went by GC today to pick a Powered Speaker and saw one of those LP Juniors single cutaway that are made only for GC, lovely guitar, P90's natural mahogany with clear finish, a great feeling neck with binding, brand new and spotless for $999.

I went by GC today to pick a Powered Speaker and saw one of those LP Juniors single cutaway that are made only for GC, lovely guitar, P90's natural mahogany with clear finish, a great feeling neck with binding, brand new and spotless for $999.

what exactly do you mean by this?? i've never seen those and i cant find it GC's website... could you give me more info?

thank you everyone for your input.... and i think tomorrow I'm gonna go back and actually plug it in, and if I really like how it sounds and feels, I'll offer them no more than half of what the asking price is.... gonna see if i can haggle it down to somewhere around $350-400 ish [thumbup]

Hey everyone, I was in a local guitar shop today to get some humidipak refills for my acoustic, and they had a used 1996 Gibson LP Special (TV Yellow, 2 P90's, Dot inlays /w/ Fretboard Binding) for $750. It also included the (original i think?) case. It was in excellent condition with no big scratches, etc. It was one of the most beautiful guitars I've seen in awhile and it gave me some pretty serious GAS.... I really want to buy it....

My only concern is that I noticed it had a headstock crack, but it looked to have been professionally repaired... Is $750 a good deal despite the headstock crack?

I've heard that if a headstock crack is repaired professionally, it only ruins the value of the guitar, or in other words it won't alter the tone or sustain of the guitar. Is that right?? Also will that make it easier to accidentally crack the headstock again since it cracked once??

Any help is appreciated [biggrin]

IMHO....its too much, specially for one that had a headstock repair job. You know you can get a new one for $999 with neck bindings also? The 1996 Specials did not come with P90s. They came with P100s which were stacked humbuckers.

IMHO....its too much, specially for one that had a headstock repair job. You know you can get a new one for $999 with neck bindings also? The 1996 Specials did not come with P90s. They came with P100s which were stacked humbuckers.

really? wow... i'm thinking that i need to do a bit more research.... [blink]

Archived