Gibson Brands Forums

I am doing some mods on my dot

dfarrell

Dfarrell,

Have fun and enjoy!

I find a certain amount of enjoyment in doing my own upgrades. (At least if I screw up I've got no one to blame but myself.)....LOL

I used the GFS 59's when I did my L.P. Standard. I also replaced the pots and caps. Didn't do the push/pull pots but I did go with the orange drops. Overall, big improvement. Your push/pulls should add quite a bit of variety to your choice of sounds. Might re-redo my CTS with push/pull one of these days. Let us know how yours turns out.

Paul.jpg

Best of luck,

Willy

Cool, I'd love to hear more about those PUPs. I actually planned on using the GFS Dream 90/Mean 90 in mine but love the stock neck PUP in mine. So the choice is now using an ancient Dimarzio PAF with tap switch or the Mean 90 in the bridge.

Do you have any prefered methods for getting pots seated? My fave is to use heatshrink over the shaft.

Good luck.

Bob

Whitmore Willy:

Good to hear the 59's worked well for you, I haven't tried them yet. I have a Les Paul Standard that I gave the push/pull treatment to and I love it. I use the the Dot and the Paul alot when I am gigging, and I really miss not having the coil switching when I am using the dot.

Bob:

I really debated about using the Mean 90's in this guitar to. I have them in two other guitars that I use, and I am very happy with them. The last time I wired a hollow body, I tied string onto to the pots to pullthem through. It worked, but it was kind of a pain. I think I have some heat shrink tubing, so i might try that today.

The only GFS PUPs I don't like are the Tele sized humbuckers (Ranchers?), but the whole idea is against the laws of nature, physics, the great State of New Jersey, etc.

And in case it's any help (to anyone wiring hollowbody), here is my method for using heat shrink;

Heatshrink goes thru pot hole first and then up and out of Fhole so it's sticking out of both holes

Washer(s) go on pot, then attach heat shrink to post

Shrink to post

Pull heatshrink back thru pot hole

Use chopstick thru fhole for support/guidance

Slice shrunken heatshrink with exacto

The only GFS PUPs I don't like are the Tele sized humbuckers (Ranchers?), but the whole idea is against the laws of nature, physics, the great State of New Jersey, etc.

And in case it's any help (to anyone wiring hollowbody), here is my method for using heat shrink;

Heatshrink goes thru pot hole first and then up and out of Fhole so it's sticking out of both holes

Washer(s) go on pot, then attach heat shrink to post

Shrink to post

Pull heatshrink back thru pot hole

Use chopstick thru fhole for support/guidance

Slice shrunken heatshrink with exacto

Nice! I'm gonna be rewiring and upgrading my Dot soon, and I've been looking for an elegant solution. I think you have it!

I've got it all buttoned up. Even with th heat shrink tubing, it was still a bit off a fight to get everything in place. The new pickups are much brighter sounding than the stock ones were. I like having the coil switching push/pull pots. I have them wired so the coils can either be in series or in parallel. The bridge pickup has a nice growl going for it when I plug it into my blackface Deluxe and run it up to about 4. I was hoping I could get a little more though - maybe that can be achieved with a little tweeking. The real test will be when I take it to rehearsal and see how it works with the band, but I think it will do fine.

I'll try to post some sound clips latter - I am going to be a bit busy the next few days so it might be a while before I get to it

Archived