Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 anyone??

Supersonic

Do any of you guys own or have owned an Epi ES-175 reissue? It looks like it is intended to be primarily a jazz guitar, but I was wondering how it might sound for rock too. I love the look of it so I was curious if anyone has any experience with one and could offer any reviews. I can't make up my mind on what my next guitar is going to be. It's down to an LP, a Dot, a EJ-200 acoustic, or one of these guys.

Thanks.

To find out how it might sound for Rock, check out YouTube for the band "Yes". Steve Howe used a Gibson ES-175 on many (if not most) early Yes recordings and tours.

I think George Thourogood(sp) used one also, and Bonnie Raitt used one very frequently. So there is a history of the ES-175 being a Rock & Roll guitar.

I got one recently, traded it for a MIM tele I had upgraded. I kind of miss the tele, but I have another and a strat so not too bad. I warmed up to the ES-175 right away, but then I like jazz boxes, cut my teeth on a Gibby ES-225T whcih is like a 175 thinline.

It's a great guitar for the money, and it sounds suprisingly good, but the selection of wood and electronics are not near the quality of a Gibson and of course it has that dipped-in-plastic look from the poly coating.

However, it's a guitar you can leave out on a stand or gig with and not worry about it. Like most Epis, it would benefit from a nut, electronics, and possibly a pickup upgrade, but the neck feels good and it holds tune well.

I have it strung with 12-52 flatwounds and that feels about right too. I think I had about $400 into the tele, so I consider it a good trade. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone looking to try a jazzbox without spending a fortune, but there are some good offerings from Ibanez, Godin, and Washburn in this price range too.

Well I don't know if you like Bryan Adams but the cover of his ICON Greatest Hits album shows him playing a Gold one. Its a Gibson of course but I'm just saying if you like his sound, he uses one. Hope that helps.

BAIconCover.jpg

I found this cover too.

bryanadams11cdcoversccf.png

For what its worth, I think its a great looking guitar!

That's actually an ES-295 made famous by Elvis's guitar slinger Scotty Moore. Similar to and ES-175, but with gold top, trapeze wraparound bridge (or Bigsby), and creme P90 covers and pickguard.

ES-175 has a floating rosewood bridge / trapeze tailpiece combo and 1 or 2 humbuckers, although P90s was an option.

Either way, good guitars for jazz, blues, or rock - not so much for metal.

That's actually an ES-295 made famous by Elvis's guitar slinger Scotty Moore. Similar to and ES-175, but with gold top, trapeze wraparound bridge (or Bigsby), and creme P90 covers and pickguard.

ES-175 has a floating rosewood bridge / trapeze tailpiece combo and 1 or 2 humbuckers, although P90s was an option.

Thanks for the ino Brian, I didn't know that. I think they look awesome.

Brian I just found this Epi ES-295

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2093887372.html

Its sweet but isnt the price a little high?

I don't own the Epi version but I've had this mid 70's Antoria for about 30 years.

ES175.jpg

It's not really a question of what it can or can't do it's more a question of how loud you want to do it. Feedback really is a problem if you're going to use it live, as it is with all hollow bodies, but for home use at reasonable volumes or for recording I find it can handle most styles. I don't think it has any tones that I can't get with my Riviera or other humbucker equipped guitars but it is nice to play.

Then check out Vintage Guitar with Ronnie Wood on the cover!

Nice little article. Had no idea JF was a huge fan of short & 3/4 scale guitars!

I dug it up.

1) He used it for most of the Bayou Country album

2) He loved 3/4 and short scale guitars

3) The opening chords to Proud Mary were inspired by Beethoven's 5th) ?!?!?!

I don't own the Epi version but I've had this mid 70's Antoria for about 30 years.

ES175.jpg

It's not really a question of what it can or can't do it's more a question of how loud you want to do it. Feedback really is a problem if you're going to use it live, as it is with all hollow bodies, but for home use at reasonable volumes or for recording I find it can handle most styles. I don't think it has any tones that I can't get with my Riviera or other humbucker equipped guitars but it is nice to play.

Nice Guitar, but why are the pups reversed?

Nice Guitar, but why are the pups reversed?

I read an article some years ago that Wes Montgomery reversed the pickups on his L5 so I thought I'd try it out. I don't know if there was any perceivable difference in tone but I just never got round to turning them back.

I think it would have the effect of making the pickups sound slightly more similar.

The object of having them further apart is to get more twang out of the bridge and more mellow out of the bridge.

I assume Wes knew that they were revese polarity so needed to be kept mirrored, and may have wanted a little less twang from the bridge or bridge/neck combo?

IDK.

• 3 months later...

OK, so I just picked up a 175, new. Could it do rock yes but not thrash metal! Three issues for the budding rock star:

1. It is a wide body and hollow so it isnt going to take a lot of abuse and may feel awkward compared to a solid electric.

2. It has a relatively short playable neck, despite the cutaway, compared to most solid body electrics.

3. The humbuckers, though sounding ok, are not as good as genuine Gibsons - they are fine for me but I am looking for a stay at home guitar and playing mostly bluesy stuff. If you really want to rock out you may want to upgrade to Gibson/SD or some other brand of Pups.

Archived