Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Genesis Reissue?

EpiEric

A reissue might even drive the price of the originals up because it would be relatively expensive to make them with anything near the quality of materials that were available in1978.

I just don't think they would be popular due to weight, aesthetics, and sound similarity to so many other guitars. Same deal with the Epi Scroll model.

But distribute the Tak doublecut worldwide and they'd have trouble making enough to satisfy demand.

Just my opinion of course.

Now to me, that Tak DC looks WAY more like a Les Paul that's just had some extra "surgery" on it than the Genesis. Not saying it's not a fine guitar, but I really prefer the look of your Genesis(s) than that Tak, Brian.

Jim

Been jonesing for a Genesis for a long time, keep getting outbid.

A reissue would depend on $$$$$$$ and build Quality.

Soooooo, I went another route... It's my "Po' Man's" Genesis, but

the SUCKA is built like a Freekin' Tank. Who woulda known? Cost me

$110.00 on ebay, now running $179.00 - $249.00. And YES, I would buy

ANOTHER for even $179.00! [thumbup]

Jay Turser JT-200 Pro

[100_0293.jpg

I bought 'Baby' cause I couldn't jag a Genesis!

Now to me, that Tak DC looks WAY more like a Les Paul that's just had some extra "surgery" on it than the Genesis.

That's exactly why I think the Tak would sell - 10 million LP owners can't be wrong. Many of the comments on the Facebook page include requests to change the Genesis to work and look more like an LP - V/V/T/T wiring, move the switch, change the headstock, make the horns bigger, etc.

In contrast, Genesis guitars are like a screwed up luxury car that Ford tried to market to it's dealers that didn't have access to the Lincoln Continental line. The way I look at it, Genesis owners are like Edsel collectors - we think they're so ugly that they're beautiful, and we LIKE that it's an obscure, old abandoned model that invites ridicule. That's what makes them interesting, like the Epi Scroll, or the Danelectro Longhorn Bass.

I bought 'Baby' cause I couldn't jag a Genesis!

That's weird because I can't seem to avoid acquiring them. 4 of the 5 I have came from Craigslist; the other one was from eBay and no one bid on it. I contacted the seller and we worked out a deal offline.

That's exactly why I think the Tak would sell - 10 million LP owners can't be wrong. Many of the comments on the Facebook page include requests to change the Genesis to work and look more like an LP - V/V/T/T wiring, move the switch, change the headstock, make the horns bigger, etc.

In contrast, Genesis guitars are like a screwed up luxury car that Ford tried to market to it's dealers that didn't have access to the Lincoln Continental line. The way I look at it, Genesis owners are like Edsel collectors - we think they're so ugly that they're beautiful, and we LIKE that it's an obscure, old abandoned model that invites ridicule. That's what makes them interesting, like the Epi Scroll, or the Danelectro Longhorn Bass.

That's weird because I can't seem to avoid acquiring them. 4 of the 5 I have came from Craigslist; the other one was from eBay and no one bid on it. I contacted the seller and we worked out a deal offline.

Shockingly well said.......so right on...

The only information I can find on the P-90 Specials indicates that they're also "Limited Editions", but I can't find anything about them on either Epiphone's or Gibson's websites, only on retailer websites like GC, MF, etc.

I wonder how long they'll keep the '56 in production?

The interesting thing with and about Epi Limited Editions is that they don't seem to actually really true Limited Runs.....They tend to make enough of them to satisfy the niches of the intended consumers...ie, I want their P-90 Goldtop, and I expect to be able to buy one new 10 months from now.......My 'buy, need' list is too long to add this Genisis re-issue, but, Epi is careful to make guitars that are quality and will sell................And as always, RaSTus is right again; drop in P-90s are readily availabe from a handful of companies.........That blue sparkle Genisis is sweet....all sparkly, and yet not gaudy at all IMHO...................

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Genesis a coupe of years ago from a music store that didn't know what they were selling. Their loss was my gain. It is the 1979 Custom with the rectangle inlays.

If Gibson could re-issue this guitar again they would have a market for it. Not everyone loves to play a tank, but there are enough of us out there.....and what mahogany does for tone and sustain, WOW!

Soooooo, I went another route... It's my "Po' Man's" Genesis, but

the SUCKA is built like a Freekin' Tank. Who woulda known? Cost me

$110.00 on ebay, now running $179.00 - $249.00. And YES, I would buy

ANOTHER for even $179.00! [thumbup]

Jay Turser JT-200 Pro

100_0294.jpg

That's a good looking axe animalfarm. In fact I just bought a new one and it should be here tomorrow!

How's yours sound?

• 2 months later...

If it had four Knobs, upgraded tuners, P90s, availability in both nickel and gold hardware, and some premium color choices I think it would sell well. It would give those people that want a guitar with Humbuckers, but don't want the LP or SG, a good choice from a good brand. If they could get a bigger musician, that's on tour, to sponsor it and use it on stage, it would boost sales as well.

And boost the price along with it.

Only if they did a custom model, which I could see them doing. The musician would almost defiantly have personal mods for it, which once the model started selling well, could be add to said musicians John Doe Genesis Custom. Base would still be base, no reason to increase price, other than because they could.

Only if they did a custom model, which I could see them doing. The musician would almost defiantly have personal mods for it, which once the model started selling well, could be add to said musicians John Doe Genesis Custom. Base would still be base, no reason to increase price, other than because they could.

Signature models cost more, fullstop.

Signature models cost more, fullstop.

Understood. What I am saying is you would have the base model, like in the first post, start selling it at base price before tour. During tour John Doe plays Epiphone Genesis with a few changes, promoting said guitar, and trying to make the Genesis popular. After tour release a Custom Issue guitar, while still offering the base model. In the end if everything works out well, the Genesis would have gained popularity and have two models, in two different price ranges. In my mind this would solidify the Genesis in the Epiphone line up for some time to come, and make the model profitable. Not sure were we started misunderstanding one another, sorry 'bout that.

Understood. What I am saying is you would have the base model, like in the first post, start selling it at base price before tour. During tour John Doe plays Epiphone Genesis with a few changes, promoting said guitar. After tour release a Custom Issue guitar, while still offering the base model. In the end if everything works out well, the Genesis would have gain popularity and have two models, in two different price ranges. In my mind this would solidify the Genesis in the Epiphone line up for some time to come, and make the model profitable. Not sure were we started misunderstanding one another, sorry 'bout that.

Now I agree with that, if a base model(s) were still sold and the signature was a hot-rodded (for want of a better phrase) version of that, then that would be a cool thing.

Don't worry about the misunderstanding, I'm a bit slow, so it was probably my fault anyway.

If it had four Knobs, upgraded tuners, P90s, availability in both nickel and gold hardware, and some premium color choices I think it would sell well. It would give those people that want a guitar with Humbuckers, but don't want the LP or SG, a good choice from a good brand. If they could get a bigger musician, that's on tour, to sponsor it and use it on stage, it would boost sales as well.

I think that this is just going to be a single "test the waters" model, not some big reissue model line. The original Genesis series only lasted for about 3 years and sold poorly, so I can't blame them for being cautious.

As for the 4 knobs, P90s, and color choices, that just makes it Les Paul double cut with single coils which defeats the purpose. I hope they stick to the original PUPs, wiring, inlays, neck, headstock, and hardware. I would like to see them move the input jack to the side to reduce control cavity splintering, and the coil tap switch could be on a push/pull. Other than than, it should be a Genesis, not an LP wannabe, we've got way too many of those availble from Epi and many others already.

Except a goldtop would be nice. [thumbup]

This is kinda cool. Earlier this year I contacted the editor of the the Guitar Blue Book to point out some model/pricing snafus in the Epi Genesis section. Not only did they make the corrections, but they asked me to rewrite the descriptions in the text. The on-line version was updated in April and here's the edits (not in the current print version):

EpiGenesisPricing.jpg

This is kinda cool. Earlier this year I contacted the editor of the the Guitar Blue Book to point out some model/pricing snafus in the Epi Genesis section. Not only did they make the corrections, but they asked me to rewrite the descriptions in the text. The on-line version was updated in April and here's the edits (not in the current print version):

Author, author.

Archived