Gibson Brands Forums

Replacment volume pot for SG

Dougefresh91

I got the jack tightened and everything seems fine, but I noticed something else that im wondering about. When I have the selector switch set to the middle, how I understand it is both pickups are being used, right? So why do the volume knobs not act independently? It seems they both act as master volume controls. e.g. turn one all the way down and you get no sound, even if the other is all the way up. Is this normal? (To clarify I am referring to the clear unlabeled volume knobs)

I got the jack tightened and everything seems fine, but I noticed something else that im wondering about. When I have the selector switch set to the middle, how I understand it is both pickups are being used, right? So why do the volume knobs not act independently? It seems they both act as master volume controls. e.g. turn one all the way down and you get no sound, even if the other is all the way up. Is this normal? (To clarify I am referring to the clear unlabeled volume knobs)

They are wired dependent.

Reversing the switch wires and pickup wires where they connect to the legs of the volume pots will result in independent volumes:

http://www.dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/WireLibrary-Gibson.html

Willy

Just as Willy replied above, additionally this LINK maybe useful, it's from the "DO-IT-YOURSELF" thread (compiled by animalfarm) pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge section of the forum.

Well that's bizarre. At least I know nothing's wrong with the guitar though. Being that I bought it off ebay I can't help but be a little paranoid, and I've been holding off on leaving feedback until I'm certain all is well. Two of my guitar playing friends that I asked about this have no idea as they both said they just crank all the knobs up to max. With six and twenty years of guitar playing experience it blows my mind that neither of them tweaks the tone controls or anything.

Thanks again for the help. Is it pretty common for people to rewire these guitars? Any major risks involved?

Any major risks involved?

Don't slip with the soldering iron.

forehead.jpg

Seriously,

If you change from metric to American pots you would have to enlarge holes slightly.

If you have metric and use existing pots there should be no problem.

If you have to do any re-soldering of grounds on back of pots, turn pot to 0 and do not overheat as you could burn out pot. (this should not be a problem if all you are doing is switching 2 wires on the legs of each volume pot.

Willy

Don't slip with the soldering iron.

forehead.jpg

Seriously,

If you change from metric to American pots you would have to enlarge holes slightly.

If you have metric and use existing pots there should be no problem.

If you have to do any re-soldering of grounds on back of pots, turn pot to 0 and do not overheat as you could burn out pot. (this should not be a problem if all you are doing is switching 2 wires on the legs of each volume pot.

Willy

So if I understand this right all I have to do is reverse the two wires for the volumes to work independently? And if a ground wire comes loose don't overheat the pot.

They are wired dependent.

Reversing the switch wires and pickup wires where they connect to the legs of the volume pots will result in independent volumes:

http://www.dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/WireLibrary-Gibson.html

Willy

Does anyone in the guitar world use schematics?

I see the "ground" symbol floating around on those images, but the images are meaningless electrically.

Real schematic diagrams would be so much simpler to read.

Does anyone in the guitar world use schematics?

I see the "ground" symbol floating around on those images, but the images are meaningless electrically.

Real schematic diagrams would be so much simpler to read.

Yeah, but your qualified in electronics cj, we are mere mortals. LOL

I know a lot of people who qualify as law enforcement officers who don't know the law. ;)

Besides that, my ear for music isn't so good. Tinnitus from hell, and I can't tell the difference between tones sometimes when someone is playing the same note on the same guitar with the pots adjusted differently.

I'm plenty happy with the way they wire the pickups and pots from the factory. I can set my volume and tone on the neck pickup to clean and pretty, the bridge to dirty and raunchy, and switch between them at will without a pedal.

Works for me.

I know a lot of people who qualify as law enforcement officers who don't know the law. ;)

That's hillarious, true sadly, but hillarious.

Besides that, my ear for music isn't so good. Tinnitus from hell, and I can't tell the difference between tones sometimes when someone is playing the same note on the same guitar with the pots adjusted differently.

Yeah, I'm a member of the chronic tinitus club, never used to bother me much when I was drinking, I used to just drink till I passed out, now though I'm on high dosages of tranqs just so I can cope with the constant, 24/7 onslaught, total pain in the @ss.

Dougefresh,

You have stock factory wiring in your guitar. It is done for cost and efficiency. This makes it an overcomplicated menagerie of wires but, it works.

If you have a fundamental understanding of guitar wiring that is one thing.

If not, frankly, I would just leave it alone and play it as it is.

If you want to change it from dependent to independent volumes it is not that big a deal but, if you are not 100% sure what you are looking at I would take it to a dependable tech and have him do it.

For one thing it would be very easy to accidentally burn one of the other wires while trying to desolder or resolder.

Not trying to be crass here. I just don't want you to screw up your new guitar.

Willy

So if I understand this right all I have to do is reverse the two wires for the volumes to work independently? And if a ground wire comes loose don't overheat the pot.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, if the working room inside the cavity is too tight, just unscrew the pots, one at a time, and re-position it so the lugs are more accessable, then tighten that pot back up and do the other pot. Best to do it this way to avoid burning any neighbouring wires, as Willy states above.

Dougefresh,

You have stock factory wiring in your guitar. It is done for cost and efficiency. This makes it an overcomplicated menagerie of wires but, it works.

If you have a fundamental understanding of guitar wiring that is one thing.

If not, frankly, I would just leave it alone and play it as it is.

If you want to change it from dependent to independent volumes it is not that big a deal but, if you are not 100% sure what you are looking at I would take it to a dependable tech and have him do it.

For one thing it would be very easy to accidentally burn one of the other wires while trying to desolder or resolder.

Not trying to be crass here. I just don't want you to screw up your new guitar.

Willy

It seems pretty straight forward, but I'll probably wait a while before I try it. I'm pretty confident I can pull it off, as I took an electronics class in High School, and soldering circuit boards is way more intense than a few wires. The main reason I want to do this is because I can't really get a clean sound out of this guitar(not that I bought it for that, in fact just the opposite), but I read in another thread that changing the strings may help. So I guess that's next on my list for now.

Archived