Gibson Brands Forums

Holiday Weekend

Johnt

he's going somewhere (probably in a truck) hoping to keep the vehicle safely on the road' date=' windshield clean, no state troopers on his tail and evidently there's some sort of emergency. refer to old tune "convoy" by tom t. hall, i think.[/quote']

ha! cw mccall's convoy. watch this. how'd he do it with a straight face? chartruse microbus! way too funny. i had this '45 as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKfLpkBFjx0

i think (know!) i could've gone my whole life without hearing that "song" again. i'm sure cw was kind to his mother and that tune probably put his kids through college but gawd amighty, what were we thinking in the 70's? lucky for me, i've forgotten most of that decade.

Boxing Day has little to do with corrugated paper - rather more to do with banks, actually - or their stock in trade - money, anyway..... The day after Christmas, when all the common people have been running around serving and cleaning and cooking and filling glasses for the toff bankers and their wealthy chums, the poor serving types take a collection box (wood d'you see, not corrugated paper) around and get gratuities (what the colonies call 'tips'). Thus it is strictly 'The Day For Collecting Gatuities In A Box' - but Boxing Day is easier to say.

Like your Trick Or Treat - only for serving types and trades people rather than kids.....

.....and for cash rather than sweeties - so much more practical and useful, don't you think?

Sweet mother of whatever - THAT is sick. I read your post, wondered why a fisticuffs movie would be so offensive, and looked up the synopsis at IMDb. Gross out big time.....

Which beggars the question 'what on earth posessed you to watch it'

My brother is a trucker and I had to endure the whole CB language thing from the first CB he bought in 1974. And then by about 1976 there were a whole bunch of people with base stations in their houses and they would spend every evening flirting, joking, picking fights, etc., and then yak about it at work/school the next day. Kinda like the 1976 version of a chat room.

Other CB song hits you may wish I had never mentioned:

Let's Truck Together - Kenny Price

The White Knight - Cledus Maggard

and the coup de grace:

CB Savage - Rod Hart

"Could I please have your 20? I'd settle for a big 10-4!"

SIR JOHNT:

LITTLE DID I REALIZE THAT YOU WERE "HAPPILY" HEADED OUT ON YOUR BANKER'S HOLIDAY WEEKEND. I THEREFORE WISH TO JOIN ALL OTHERS IN WISHING YOU AND YOURS A JOYOUS AND SAFE TRIP.

NOW FOR AN OBSERVATION AND APPARENTLY GREATLY NEEDED ADVICE:

=D> HAVING SEEN SCENES OF YOUR ROADWAYS ON SUCH HOLIDAYS AS YOU SEEM TO BE DEPARTING ON' date=' I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO ALTOGETHER FORGET YOUR BOZEMAN VISIT. INSTEAD YOU SHOULD TRAVEL TO SOUTHERN US AND ENROLL IN A DEMOLITION DERBY SCHOOL. UPON GRADUATION, YOU NOW WILL REALLY BE MORE THAN READY FOR ALL BRITISH HIGHWAYS AFTER LEARNING THE FINE ART OF TOTALLY MANGLING ANY DRIVER THAT OBSTRUCTS YOUR PASSAGE.

C) EASIER SOLUTION- FOR A COMPLETE RESTFUL HOLIDAY, JUST PUT THE OLD GAS GUZZLER UP ON BLOCKS, INVITE YOUR PICKEN BUDDIES OVER, BREAK OUT THE HOOTCH AND VOILA INSTANT JOY WITHOUT THE TRAVEL TRAVAILS. YOU CAN EVEN KEEP FRED IN HIS USUAL SPOT IN THE GL0VE COMPARTMENT JUST TO MAKE YOU FEEL THAT YOU ARE REALLY ON THE ROAD.

IF NONE OF THE ABOVE WORKS AT LEAST I TRIED.

HAVE A GOOD ONE

MOOSE[/quote']

He he!

I see, we have "roadways" eh? Not autoroutes/highways but roadways. Well whatever they are they should be sued under the Trades Description Act! A ****way would imply that they may be a way upon it. We have flipping carparks /parking lots!

On Friday I did 2 miles in 67minutes and I have an "uber turbo" sat Nav which is meant to take me around the jams!

Phooey!

You are, as usual correct Moose, I should have put the gaz guzzler on bricks but when I went out on Saturday morning, the local kids had done it for me! (<<<---joke)

I would love to have sat down this weekend and played a few chords But MY time was spent changing 24 strings and applying Vituouso polish (BTW LesLawrence that is polish like a liquid you apply not a violinist of Eastern European origin! LOL)

I regret that rather like his minder, my terrier has become rather portly and no longer fits in the glovebox, he rides on the central armrest and barks at the speed cameras!

Thanks for all the wishes I hope you had a good one too

John

Here we go

Well, we rolled up Interstate 44

Like a rocket sled on rails.

We tore up all of our swindle sheets,

And left 'em settin' on the scales.

By the time we hit that Chi-town,

Them bears was a-gettin' smart:

They'd brought up some reinforcements

From the Illinois National Guard.

There's armored cars, and tanks, and jeeps,

And rigs of ev'ry size.

Yeah, them chicken coops was full'a bears

And choppers filled the skies.

Well, we shot the line and we went for broke

With a thousand screamin' trucks

An' eleven long-haired Friends a' Jesus

In a chartreuse micra-bus.

Now in your best falsetto voice:

'Cause we got a mighty convoy

Rockin' through the night.

Yeah, we got a mighty convoy,

Ain't she a beautiful sight?

Come on and join our convoy

Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way.

We gonna roll this truckin' convoy

'Cross the U-S-A.

Actually it's a good study of US Geography. It begins in Shaky Town (LA 'cause of the earthquakes don't you see?) and ends somewheres' east of Chicargo. 'Ceptin "Pig Pen" His terminal is in Omaha because... well they oughta know what to do with them hogs.

Me and my buddies knew this song by heart when I was in high school. We'd perform it betwixed classes just to aggrevate the 'citiboys'. Another favorite was "Devil Went Down To Georgia". (the US State, not the former soviet state. If it were the latter it'd be about Vlad the Mad.)

10-99 in Citizen's Band radio parlance, "I gotta go to the can, man."

Mabe 10-10 would have been a better choice as that is when I shut my 'puter down.

Other favorite trucker songs.

"Teddy Bear" by Red Sovine

and a sequel to "Teddy Bear".. I don't know the title or artist but about 'Teddy Bear' as a young man drivin' his own truck.

"East Bound and Down" from Smokey and the Bandit fame Jerry Reed, I believe, one of the best guit tar pickers ever.

"Six Days On The Road"... and I'm gonna make home tonight. Who can resist crankin' up the Sparkomatic to ear bleedin' levels on those bass solos.

"Papa loved Mamma"

He never hit the brakes and he was shiftin' gears.

Phantom 309, The Girl on the Billboard, Ol' Mack.... god this is awful.

Best "newer" trucking song ("newer" being defined as post-1970s) is "Broke Down South of Dallas" by Junior Brown. Even more raucous live, as he does some scary harmonic pinging combined with behind the nut bends.

White Knight (by Cletus Maggard and the Citizen's Band) was my personal favourite CB song.

Thermionik: What posessed me to watch Boxing Helena? I was young and dumb at the time. Now, I'm just not young anymore. In fact, I just sat through Teeth. Look that one up. They could have done more (and had a lot of fun) with the premiss, but the movie sucked.

Archived