Gibson Brands Forums

Should Gibson advertise making custom-order guitars?

rocketman

This has been discussed a bit in the past but I think it's worth discussing again. Gibson will take your desired specs for a guitar and custom build it for you. I don't know anyone who has done this though and I have never seen any pictures of a custom-ordered guitar.

I was looking at the PRS "private stock" website and they have many examples of their custom-built guitars (see here). Looking at that website makes me wonder why Gibson doesn't do something similar in terms of advertising. I'm not a businessman so I don't know how much they could make doing this, but I think it would be highly successful.

Thoughts?

They couldn't cost any more than the sig models. After all. A les Paul is a Les Paul. Whatever you do. The shape etc is the same

There's not much you can vary on them. I think the Custom shop could do 'one off' models for say the 'Melvyn Franks' price.

It's only wood after all. I think they could let you specify the top, colour, pick ups, aged or not. Perhaps ebony fret board ( I used to have a Les Paul Pro Deluxe)as that makes a difference,

I'd consider one if they did it. There are lots of one offs about anyhow. You can see them on the web.

I think they need to look at their models. Why have the Traditional when it should be the standard. The Standard is a waste of time with that silly jack. Too many sig models ( I can't believe that Clapton has one).

I don't think they need to advertise it. All one has to do is speak with a Gibson dealer. rocket, there's a member here named Raptor. Check out his avatar; it's a custom ordered LP. Also, read a bunch of his posts if you have time to kill. Very informative guy...almost as informative as me! [biggrin]

G&L does a type of made to your specs guitar or bass. They have certain finishes, necks, fretboards, pick guards, to choose from to make up a USA manufacture in CA. I had a G&L SB-2 Bass made up to my specs. Was nice. Just under $1,300.00.

I love custom shop galleries. PRS, ESP, McNaught.....Jackson used to have a gallery or guitars in the making and tons of finished ones. I wish Gibson had that. Shoot Fender comes out with a couple calendars every year showing custom guitars.

I'd love a one off explorer or V.

Archived