Gibson Brands Forums

Line 6 spider

schnarz25

I had a line 6 Spyder III and I was not impressed in general. I'm not a digital amp hater, I recently acquired a Fender Mustang II to go with my tube Blues Jr. and they're both great!

I guess if I had to describe the Line 6 that I had it'd be "dull". It works, it has lots of presets but you don't get that "je ne se quoi" that you get from a lot of other choices out there.

If you're on a budget you can check out the Fender Mustang I or Fender Mustang II as they're under $220

thanks for your opinion guys. sometimes its fun to see what people think before you tell them you own one. they write what they really think and then you tell them that and theyre like [scared] . I have a spider III 75w and for the money its not bad at all.

The one I had was only 15, I should have mentioned that it was just a practice amp what I had.

thanks for your opinion guys. sometimes its fun to see what people think before you tell them you own one. they write what they really think and then you tell them that and theyre like [scared] . I have a spider III 75w and for the money its not bad at all.

Haha! Very clever! msp_thumbup.gif

I know right. [biggrin]

by the way, right now its my practice amp so thats why Ive been asking about tube amps on here because I need something nice for playing live. Im looking at fender and vox right now for tube amps.

Have you tried out the Fender Hot Rod DeVille yet? Once you hear that thing, your search for a new amp will be over.

Have you tried out the Fender Hot Rod DeVille yet? Once you hear that thing, your search for a new amp will be over.

the 2x12 or the 4x10? theyre a bit out of my price range and 60w seems kinda big. I was looking around 15 or 30w. is it good for clean tones and does it take pedals good?

I have the SPider 2 1x12 75 watt. I like it fine for practice. I only use it when playing for church for 2 reasons. 1. I don't want to lug a half stack for only 4 songs. 2. they don't allow us to use half stacks. [biggrin] We mic the amps. With enough patience and experimenting you can get decent sounds. They are a hell of a lot better than some of the other amps in the same price range IMO

the 2x12 or the 4x10? theyre a bit out of my price range and 60w seems kinda big. I was looking around 15 or 30w. is it good for clean tones and does it take pedals good?

those are the easiest amps to find used for good deals.

Fender amps set the standard for cleans. The Hot Rods sound great clean. I like the 4x10 and 1x12 the most personally. They are extremely loud. My only gripe is that I don't like the preamp overdrive much (at least on the old version I haven't tried the new one) and I haven't cranked one up loud enough to get the power tubes working.

those are the easiest amps to find used for good deals.

Fender amps set the standard for cleans. The Hot Rods sound great clean. I like the 4x10 and 1x12 the most personally. They are extremely loud. My only gripe is that I don't like the preamp overdrive much (at least on the old version I haven't tried the new one) and I haven't cranked one up loud enough to get the power tubes working.

My friend has the 40W 1X12 (whichever one it is, I think Hot Rod Deluxe) and it sounds great! We get those tubes cooking and it has some really great cleans. I don't care for the preamp drive, but I'm a pedal guy myself, and it takes pedals fine.

He got a great deal on his, I think it was like 350 or something, highly recommended. For the cost of a Line 6 Spider 75 W [scared] you could get close to the 40W greatness of this amp [woot]

I prefer the 2X12. And yes, 60W is really freaking loud! It sounds amazing on the clean channel and takes pedals like a boss. msp_thumbup.gif

I had a Line 6 Spider IV 75 for a while and I don't think its a bad amp. I just didn't warm up to it. I found myself taking a lot of time fiddling with it to find what I wanted. If I had taken the time to really learn it, my opinion might be different.

Dave

I have a Line 6 Spider II (2x12)...

Its my practice amp...I can get some decent tones out of it. I wasn't gonna share this with the forum originally but here's a clip i recorded with the new Flying V on the Line 6 just the other day. I'm tuned to DGCFAD and using a slightly tweaked version of the "Insane" setting lol!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhlIed7OC8

Its not the best amp in the world, and i'd take a tube amp over it any day but i've had this thing forever...since i started playing I think...

I have a Line 6 Spider II (2x12)...

Its my practice amp...I can get some decent tones out of it. I wasn't gonna share this with the forum originally but here's a clip i recorded with the new Flying V on the Line 6 just the other day. I'm tuned to DGCFAD and using a slightly tweaked version of the "Insane" setting lol!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhlIed7OC8

Its not the best amp in the world, and i'd take a tube amp over it any day but i've had this thing forever...since i started playing I think...

Nice jam shred!!

I have a Spider III HD150 1/2 stack for practice. I used it for about a year as a performance amp. Sounds pretty good but sterile. A complaint with be quality. Almost right away I encountered a problem with the mother board which was thankfully covered by a factory recall but it was frustrating to have a new amp go south right away. Repair parts took forever to get in. Good amp for practice and such but that's about it IMO.

Archived