Gibson Brands Forums

57 Classics in a Les Paul Custom ??

CajunBlues

I am new to this list. Thanks for having me.

I just bought a 99 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty (for $1500 !!). Definitely one the best purchases I have made in my life. Anyway the guitar sounds amazing. And plays amazing as well. I was really shocked at how good it sounded.

I have 2 questions :

1) Why do they put 490R/498T in these customs and not 57 Classics ?

2) Do you think 57/57+ would be better ? Would there even be a difference.

I actually have a set 57/57+ ready to install. But the guitar sounds so damn good, I am afraid to **** with it. I know that the 57+ in the bridge would probably be more of difference than changing out the neck.

I have a Custom with the 490R/498T combination and love it. My feeling on pickups is this: If you like the way guitar sounds, there is little point in changing the pickups unless you're just curious. If you do want to alter the tone by way of new pickups, think about what you like and don't like about the current set you have in your guitar and what you want to be different. Then, ask around and be specific in regards to your analysis. Chasing tone through pickup swaps can cost you a bit of time and money so, the more specific you are, the more likely you are to find what you're looking for.

As for the 57/57+ vs 490R/498T, I would expect a little less output and a more mellow tone with the 57s.

I have 490R and 490T's in an Epiphone Dot, and the '57 Classics in an ES339. The 490's are slightly overwound versions of the 57's so they're more midrangey perhaps at the expense of high end sparkle. The 498's if I'm not mistaken are Alnico V instead of Alnico II, so I'd expect some similarity between the 498 and a Burstbucker V/Pro, which come off of an entirely different page of the menu. I see what you're thinking - I'd be just as curious to see what the '57 plus, or anything else for that matter, sounds like in the bridge position.

Then again, there is a 490T that's meant to match the output and flavor of the 490R so it's also an option.

I would think a Burstbucker Pro would be a step in the hot direction, and if you want to go to a lower output try 490T, 57+, '57, Burstbucker 2, or Burstbucker 1.

I thoroughly agree with Rich's cautions. I put an aluminum stop bar tailpiece on my 339 and the biggest thing it did was it stopped me from wondering if it would be different.

1) Why do they put 490R/498T in these customs and not 57 Classics ?

490/498 kick *ss...that's why!

I have a Custom too and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I agree with what Rich said, if you love the way it sounds now, why change it? Unless...

Just curious, do you have a lot of experience with Les Paul Customs?

If this is the first and only Custom you've played, then of course it will sound awesome...and if that is the case, then I would say it might be worth swapping the pickups just to see how she will sound.

If you do make the switch, do tell us what you think. Enough talk, let's see some pictures of this baby!

thanks for the kind responses. I will get a photo up soon. I will stay with the 490R/498T for now. But I have the 57/57+ on the shelf just in case.

One thing I will say is that the middle position sounds less twangy with a 57+ versus the 498T. But with the custom, it seems I can get any sound I desire by adjusting the controls. So, I am satisfied for now.

I have owned the following les pauls. All Gibson:

1) 1973 Custom Cherry burst I bought in 1985 for $400. If you are all old enough, you will remember how the les paul seemed to go down in popularity in the 1980's (hence the $400). I sold it in 1989. Its been so long since I played this guitar, I don't remember how it was. But I do know that I regret selling it.

2) 1985 Studio. Owned it for 3 months. I didn't like it.

3) 1973 Deluxe with humbuckers, gold top with headstock replacement. Nice guitar but I had to sell it for financial reasons. Before I bought the custom, I regretted selling this. This one had a 490R/Dimarzio SD.

4) 2007 Classic Antique Zebrawood. I still own this guitar. It has 57s in it. Sounds and plays very nice. The middle position has a nice sharp yet warm tone.

5) 1999 Custom Black Beauty (new purchase). The best I have owned so far. Outstanding tone and action. I can't see myself selling this one.

Archived