Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Woes

BIGBENDS

Hi Friends and Gibson Fanatics,

I'm new to the forum and look forward to contributing when I can. Today I have a question about my Gibson Gothic V. It's not my favorite Gibson but I wanted this guitar for the 496/500 pickups on certain occasions. It's a 2002 I got for cheap because of the condition of the frets (fret sprout). they are beginning to stick out on both sides of the fretboard so the guy sold it to me for $400.00. Looks brand new and only slightly played. Still has the plastic on the pickguard. Anyway, my question is this. Can the fret sprout be fixed? Will the rosewood fretboard relax back into postion if I oil the heck out of it? Will I have to take it to a luthier to get a fretboard overhaul? Can a binding be put on the neck? Is any of this a possibility? Thanks for your input.

P.S. My avatar is me and my 2007 SG Classic Custom GOTW #38. [-X/ Sweet Black Cherry finish and 57 classics. I took a chance and it paid off. I love that guitar.

Welcome to the forum.

Well binding would be tricky, you'd probably do something like that if you re-fretted the guitar.

Fret srout is a humidity issue. Or rather, a lack of humidity.

You could proudly dress the frets yourself, just be carefull, mask off areas you don't want to get any fret dust, shavings, shrapnel, etc.

Try this :

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Shaping_and_crowning/Fret_End_Dressing_File.html

Good luck.

Hi Friends and Gibson Fanatics' date='

I'm new to the forum and look forward to contributing when I can. Today I have a question about my Gibson Gothic V. It's not my favorite Gibson but I wanted this guitar for the 496/500 pickups on certain occasions. It's a 2002 I got for cheap because of the condition of the frets (fret sprout). they are beginning to stick out on both sides of the fretboard so the guy sold it to me for $400.00. Looks brand new and only slightly played. Still has the plastic on the pickguard. Anyway, my question is this. Can the fret sprout be fixed? Will the rosewood fretboard relax back into postion if I oil the heck out of it? Will I have to take it to a luthier to get a fretboard overhaul? Can a binding be put on the neck? Is any of this a possibility? Thanks for your input.

P.S. My avatar is me and my 2007 SG Classic Custom GOTW #38. :D/ Sweet Black Cherry finish and 57 classics. I took a chance and it paid off. I love that guitar.[/quote']

Seems as though dry climates like in New Mexico are good locations for producing fret sprout.

http://www.catalinaguitars.com/services.htm

Honestly, this is the first time I have ever heard of it.

Honestly' date=' this is the first time I have ever heard of it.[/quote']

Same here. My guitars have been through cycles of dryness and humidity over the years and I've never seen a fretboard get so dehydrated that the frets start sticking out. Not even close.

But, shoot, I'd try to dress the fret ends down myself. You have very little money in the guitar and this should be something you can do well if you take your time and don't get too aggressive.

I think you'd find that adding binding to the fingerboard would be prohibitively expensive. It would involve removing the fretboard, ripping it down, reinstalling, refretting, and refinishing the neck. I can't think of many guitars that would be worth that kind of $$$$ outlay.

If it were me, I'd file the fret ends down with the StewMac tool. You don't have a lot of $ in the guitar. You don't need new frets; you only need them shortened. StewMac's tools are excellent. If you a are careful and take your time, it should be a breeze.

If it were me' date=' I'd file the fret ends down with the StewMac tool. You don't have a lot of $ in the guitar. You don't need new frets; you only need them shortened. StewMac's tools are excellent. If you a are careful and take your time, it should be a breeze. [/quote']

I agree... A re-fret is $350 +

Thanks for the feedback. I can see clearly now. :D You guys are great! I never had this problem in 25 years of playing Gibson or any other guitar's. For $400 I figured i'd take the challenge.

"02 Gibson Gothic V

'68 Les Paul RI :D

"07 SG Custom Classic:d/

'82 Gibson Sonex

Epi Les Paul Custom

2 Fender Strats American Made for fun =;

Tool?

You don't need no stinkin' tool!

Play the guitar for 7/8 hours a day. (sleep, you don't need no stinkin' sleep!)

Wear them frets down. You'll get calluses in places other girly man guitar players don't have.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Welcome to the forum.

Well binding would be tricky' date=' you'd probably do something like that if you re-fretted the guitar.

Fret srout is a humidity issue. Or rather, a lack of humidity.

You could proudly dress the frets yourself, just be carefull, mask off areas you don't want to get any fret dust, shavings, shrapnel, etc.

Try this :

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Shaping_and_crowning/Fret_End_Dressing_File.html

Good luck.[/quote']

If the frets are sticking up filing them is not the answer!!

They need to be put down again with very thin super glue and then levelled and dressed.

Archived