Gibson Brands Forums

found £400 ($633.92 in my room today that i forgot about years ago. What gear should I get?

krock

Any idea on what gear I could buy. I could add more if necessary but would prefer to just spend this. Any idea's? If by now you still arent familier with what sort of music I play then look at my youtube channel linked in my sig. Its basically blues, rock and metal.

Krock...

I know I harp on this a lot, but from experience, if you're happy with your guitar(s) and you have an amp that gives you decent sound, the next wise purchase is to get a PA and a cupla mikes and stands and such, including stands to put the PA speakers above floor level.

There are a thousand things you can do with it, not the least of which would be have a band-ready environment regardless of style you play, and a bit more control over the band. If you go solo, it's even more true and again, regardless of style.

It took me over 45 years to figure that out; and because I didn't have it figured, I dumped a nice tube (valve) PA system 30 years ago when I figured I'd not be playing out for 10-20 years much at all for phase 3 of my life. It was the one purchase it took a while to realize was mandatory as long as I had decent guitars and a bass. When I started playing out again I got a nice little A-E amp that is super for the price and has a separate "vocal" channel, but still lacked what a proper PA could do.

In my case certainly, too soon oldt, too late schmardt.

m

Krock...

I know I harp on this a lot, but from experience, if you're happy with your guitar(s) and you have an amp that gives you decent sound, the next wise purchase is to get a PA and a cupla mikes and stands and such, including stands to put the PA speakers above floor level.

There are a thousand things you can do with it, not the least of which would be have a band-ready environment regardless of style you play, and a bit more control over the band. If you go solo, it's even more true and again, regardless of style.

It took me over 45 years to figure that out; and because I didn't have it figured, I dumped a nice tube (valve) PA system 30 years ago when I figured I'd not be playing out for 10-20 years much at all for phase 3 of my life. It was the one purchase it took a while to realize was mandatory as long as I had decent guitars and a bass. When I started playing out again I got a nice little A-E amp that is super for the price and has a separate "vocal" channel, but still lacked what a proper PA could do.

In my case certainly, too soon oldt, too late schmardt.

m

Dont worry, I do take the advice from those wiser than myself. I have ordered a PA system already. Hopefully it will arrive soon. [thumbup]

Still have this £400 to spend so I'm still looking for ideas

Put it in the bank, dont use it for gear...use it for life.

Ur starting to sound like my college mates. Whenever I'm looking at new gear they're always like you are you wasting your money on that when you could get a car (I drive my parents 09 plate citroen c5) or put it in the bank.

Ur starting to sound like my college mates. Whenever I'm looking at new gear they're always like you are you wasting your money on that when you could get a car (I drive my parents 09 plate citroen c5) or put it in the bank.

Well im just saying, it seems you have enough gear.

I always believed buying to much gear at once is bad because you will never get to fully enjoy it all.

Well im just saying, it seems you have enough gear.

I always believed buying to much gear at once is bad because you will never get to fully enjoy it all.

Ive only got 3 guitars 2 amps(1 my sister is currently in posession of so i suppose i really only have 1)and i have 2 multi fx pedals. Although soon to include a PA system

Do you have an A-E guitar?

Will your amp need a good mike with the PA? Will the PA have decent mikes, etc.?

Do you have/want a bass/bass amp that will work with the PA setup, etc.?

I've got as bad a case of GAS as anybody a third of my age or less, but... I think sometimes think one should take a bit of time to consider "what do I not have that would give me more flexibility as a musician in today's marketplace and for my own head."

Hey, I do that still; unfortunately it took over 35 years to get me to slow down when I saw/played something that brought an emotional response and had a cupla dollars in my pocket.

Besides, if you have a cupla dollars/quid in your pocket, you might consider that you could happen upon a "steal" for something you might love - as opposed to paying a regular sort of price for something you just want... <grin>

m

Do you have an A-E guitar?

Will your amp need a good mike with the PA? Will the PA have decent mikes, etc.?

Do you have/want a bass/bass amp that will work with the PA setup, etc.?

I've got as bad a case of GAS as anybody a third of my age or less, but... I think sometimes think one should take a bit of time to consider "what do I not have that would give me more flexibility as a musician in today's marketplace and for my own head."

Hey, I do that still; unfortunately it took over 35 years to get me to slow down when I saw/played something that brought an emotional response and had a cupla dollars in my pocket.

Besides, if you have a cupla dollars/quid in your pocket, you might consider that you could happen upon a "steal" for something you might love - as opposed to paying a regular sort of price for something you just want... <grin>

m

Whats an A-E guitar?

I have access to my Dad's shure sm57 when I need them.

See...just wait a few months.

Get to know the guitar insdie and out.

I dont necesserily need new guitars. Im still at the stage where I'm just looking at stuff to spend the money on. Could be anything from pedals to plectrums. Its just research I'm carrying out at the moment.

Research is good. No... it's great. <grin>

A-E is "Acoustic Electric."

Usually looks like and largely sounds like an acoustic of a given body size so you can play it entirely acoustic, but you also can plug it into an amp or PA system.

m

Research is good. No... it's great. <grin>

A-E is "Acoustic Electric."

Usually looks like and largely sounds like an acoustic of a given body size so you can play it entirely acoustic, but you also can plug it into an amp or PA system.

m

Ah now you've explained what the abbreviation is for I know what it is. Ive always refered to them as electro acoustics. No I dont currently have one. Do you think it it would be a worth while investment? Although I do see how it is useful because I currently use an acoustic simulator on my multi effects because i really like the sound with the coil taps on. Suppose the real thing would be even better.

Krock...

Given that it appears you have been playing "board" guitars, it will feel very different; you may also use heavier strings, although I prefer 9-42 on mine just as on my electrics of various sorts. But I mostly fingerpick. I'm not sure what I would do if I did more flatpicking, probably 10s.

The technique is rather different in ways, in my opinion.

But if you are playing acoustic music, yes, I think it works much better than the acoustic "simulation" on some sort of electronic box. I don't think electronics really reproduce the acoustic guitar even if an analysis of the sound waves might claim that it does. That's because I think the player does things a little bit differently.

Also, as you look toward Uni or any future away from home as a young man, you may wish to have an acoustic guitar for a number of reasons aside from the sound. It is, for example, just one thing to carry. I'm an older man and that is one very good reason to have one that has nothing to do with sound.

m

Krock...

Given that it appears you have been playing "board" guitars, it will feel very different; you may also use heavier strings, although I prefer 9-42 on mine just as on my electrics of various sorts. But I mostly fingerpick. I'm not sure what I would do if I did more flatpicking, probably 10s.

The technique is rather different in ways, in my opinion.

But if you are playing acoustic music, yes, I think it works much better than the acoustic "simulation" on some sort of electronic box. I don't think electronics really reproduce the acoustic guitar even if an analysis of the sound waves might claim that it does. That's because I think the player does things a little bit differently.

Also, as you look toward Uni or any future away from home as a young man, you may wish to have an acoustic guitar for a number of reasons aside from the sound. It is, for example, just one thing to carry. I'm an older man and that is one very good reason to have one that has nothing to do with sound.

m

I'll look into them :) It'll probably be another few month till I get anything anyway. Im the sort of person that researches for months and then gets what I deem to be the best out of everything in the price range.

Invest it. Seriously. If you start young, you'll be rich. I bought some Apple stock at around $250 over a year ago.

I've made 40% on that. But, I could have bought it a $55 four years ago! Imagine what I'd have if I had started 30

years ago. Don't wait. Invest now! Do a little research. Find a sector you find promising. Pick the best company in

that sector and invest.

God, I sound so old advising someone to invest. Ima go listen to some Sex Pistols now to make myself feel better! #-o

Invest it. Seriously. If you start young, you'll be rich. I bought some Apple stock at around $250 over a year ago.

I've made 40% on that. But, I could have bought it a $55 four years ago! Imagine what I'd have if I had started 30

years ago. Don't wait. Invest now! Do a little research. Find a sector you find promising. Pick the best company in

that sector and invest.

God, I sound so old advising someone to invest. Ima go listen to some Sex Pistols now to make myself feel better! #-o

My family already plays the stock market and my sister does the futures market which is very risky. my sisters written papers on the futures market as part of her finance doctorate.

Archived