Gibson Brands Forums

Small Acoustic Amp Advice

park0925

I have a 2009 Songwriter Deluxe Special (looks just like the Standard, but with a different pickup. It was a pre-run of the Standard). Anyway, I play small settings usually; churches, coffeehouses, group jams etc. I'm looking for a reasonably priced acoustic amp that has great natural acoustic sound and a second channel mic. Perhaps I can't get that in a small amp (let me know). I've never had an acoustic amp before. These three options seems to be among the top for under $400 US. If none of these fit the bill and you can recommend something better, please do so.

I'm looking at a DI box, too. Something that will even out the sometimes overly bright sound I've heard out of most. So any advice with that would be helpful, too. The Fishman Aura Spectrum DI looked interesting.

I appreciate the help from those of you more experienced with these things. Thanks, Steve

I also have a SWD and we play out both big and small venues these days. But before we did i played at home the Marshall AS50d and was so happy with it that i upgraded to the 100D version. Great tone, Gibson and Marshall, match made in heaven.

I also have a SWD and we play out both big and small venues these days. But before we did i played at home the Marshall AS50d and was so happy with it that i upgraded to the 100D version. Great tone, Gibson and Marshall, match made in heaven.

I have a 2007 Songwriter Delux Cutaway with the Fishman on board electrics. I occasionally play pub gigs and use a Marshall AS50. Great little amp and will easily accomodate a guitar and mic. Nice clean and true tone with a good reverb. Don't use the chorus too much but that is good too. The phase switch and notch filter work very well.

Great value amp that sound natural. Solid and well built. Depending on the size of your church, coffee house, you might want to go for the 100W, but the 50W should suit most smaller places. If your next venue is more cathedral than church, go for 100W.

It can sound a little cold and procesed in some venues but with a little tinkering, this can be easily adjusted.

As Euroaussie says, the SWD and Marshall do work very well together.

I've used the Marshall to good effect

I also love all Rolands so that's worth a test

A DI box is usually to match inputs like inst to line or vice versa....not to correct poor EQ

Guitar pickups vary in sound quality and mostly have EQ onboard

A subtle hint of reverb/delay/chorus can moisten an acoustic sound very effectively

V

:-({|=

AER Compact 60 is the gold standard. The tone is incredible and it barely weighs a thing.

Thanks for the input on the AER Compact 60. I just don't have a grand to put towards something like this right now. Perhaps once I get more gigs, I will, but $400 kind of my upper end right now.

Its a more expensive alternative but I ended up with the Genz-Benz Compact 300. Its still quite small and light...but it sounds great. One thing that is unique about this amp is that the head can be removed from the speaker housing if you want to just use it as a DI/preamp on a stage.

I bought a new in the box unit on ebay from a G-B dealer (the unit was drop shipped from G-B) for 25% less than any of my local dealers. This dealer made a relatively expensive amp a realistic alternative to less expensive options.

Its a more expensive alternative but I ended up with the Genz-Benz Compact 300. Its still quite small and light...but it sounds great. One thing that is unique about this amp is that the head can be removed from the speaker housing if you want to just use it as a DI/preamp on a stage.

I bought a new in the box unit on ebay from a G-B dealer (the unit was drop shipped from G-B) for 25% less than any of my local dealers. This dealer made a relatively expensive amp a realistic alternative to less expensive options.

I've heard of Genz Benz, but don't know much about them. I appreciate the input and will definitely look into it more.

Which Genz- Benz Compak were you referring to? The Genz Benz (SHEN-CPK-10T)Shenandoah Compak 300 ($899) or the Genz Benz (SHEN-CPK-8T) Shenandoah Compak 300 ($699)? The question is, Is it a $300-400 better amp than the others. If so, great! But why?

Thanks again!!

Although not on your list, a friend has just bought a used Fishman Loudbox 100 and we tried it out the other day. Very natural sound, plenty of projection and excellent reverb. Light and very well built.

I liked it alot and it's top of my list at the moment for an upgrade for the Marshall AS50.

Archived