Gibson Brands Forums

Yikes what have I done!!!

jnstrom

I have a 94 custom lp. Unfortunately I put the case with my lp in the basement. I forgot about it until last weekend where I pulled it out to play. But....I found out after pulling it out that my gold plating on my pickups is peeling!!! What should I do, has this happened to anyone else here????

Well, now that the plating is peeling, there is nothing you can do! You can pick off the ragged pieces that may injure you, and play the guitar, OR you can replace the gold hardware. Replacing the hardware really won't be terribly expensive, but you may have to change out your pickups for new ones, if you can't replace the covers.

Guest BentonC

Sounds like a dilemma. I'd recommend replacing the hardware if it is bothering you that much. If everything is playing okay, I wouldn't mess with it too much unless it is driving you crazy.

If it's only the plating on the p-up covers (and it bothers you so much that you really have to change them) then these can be replaced fairly easily.

The covers are soldered on to the p-up bases and, depending on the type of p-ups you have, they may also be 'wax-potted'.

If they are the latter type then the wax will need to be melted to free-up the covers. There are some threads on the subject - do a search of the fora hereabouts.

If you don't fancy doing it yourself it should be a straightforward and inexpensive repair for a trusted tech co carry out on your behalf.

When buying replacement covers be sure to measure the pole-piece spacing as this may vary between neck and bridge p-up depending on type.

Gold-plating will always wear off but peeling can be a different matter.

Good luck!

P.

Archived