Gibson Brands Forums

Sound Problems

BlackSabbathFan

For awhile now I've been using an Epiphone SG Special and I've noticed that my high strings (G, B, and e) are making flat, metallic sounds when I pluck the string, this only happens around the first-third (sometimes fourth) frets. The note almost instantly dies out so it's just an awful sound that no hearing person would want. If anyone knows what might be the cause of this issue, please leave a comment. Thank you.

For awhile now I've been using an Epiphone SG Special and I've noticed that my high strings (G, B, and e) are making flat, metallic sounds when I pluck the string, this only happens around the first-third (sometimes fourth) frets. The note almost instantly dies out so it's just an awful sound that no hearing person would want. If anyone knows what might be the cause of this issue, please leave a comment. Thank you.

I would say the internation needs resettting as the neck has bowed

Neck may have straightened or back bowed a little. Your strings are hitting the frets enough to "ping", but not completely choke out. Also, the treble strings may kind of do this anyway, when nothing is wrong. This would be especially true with thin fret wire. But I don't think Epiphone uses the thin, vintage style fret wire. A good set up will fix your axe!

I would say the internation needs resettting as the neck has bowed

Internation [confused]

No, it has nothing to do with the intonation.

Look at the saddles. Could need smoothing/filing.

Also, look at your frets. You could have a high one, around the 5th or 6th fret, causing this.

Well, the neck doesn't look warped at all so I'm just going to try to raise the bridge and see what that does for me. Thanks all!

P.S. Also as someone earlier said, it may just be the strings that cause the sound, I use .009 gauge strings (Gibson Vintage Reissue Strings) so I may just need larger gauge strings.

Well, the neck doesn't look warped at all so I'm just going to try to raise the bridge and see what that does for me. Thanks all!

P.S. Also as someone earlier said, it may just be the strings that cause the sound, I use .009 gauge strings (Gibson Vintage Reissue Strings) so I may just need larger gauge strings.

Its can be the slightest of curves so it wouldn't be to obvious.

The best way to confirm if this is the problem is to check the tone from the 12th frets against your tuner if its in sync then it will be another issue. (nut, bridge)

Be careful adjusting it yourself as if you change it too much well say goodbye to the correct tone after the 9th fret...

BSF,

Welcome to the forum!

Read this thoroughly...(a couple of times)

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

If you have any questions we're always here.

By the way... The members love guitar pics. Feel free to put some up or yours!

Willy

Many thanks for the link man. That really helped along solving the problem!

Many thanks for the link man. That really helped along solving the problem!

Anytime!

That was just one of many subjects and links covered in the DIY thread.

It is posted by Animalfarm at the top of the Epiphone Lounge. He has compiled a long list of information and links

that are commonly used here on the forum.

If you get a chance check it out. Great reference source.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51292-the-d0-it-yourself-thread-look-here-for-tech-related-questions/

Willy

Archived