Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Decsion

sparky scott 29

Wait a minute... The frontman series costs around 300 clams..

I know they call it a combo, but actually, it's all put together as a 1 piece unit, thus not needing a head,, Correct??

It would work just fine without one, just like my line 6 spider jam... No need for head, just plug in, and play..

Or am I really missing something here??

Wait a minute... The frontman series costs around 300 clams..

I know they call it a combo, but actually, it's all put together as a 1 piece unit, thus not needing a head,, Correct??

It would work just fine without one, just like my line 6 spider jam... No need for head, just plug in, and play..

Or am I really missing something here??

Correct. I would like to redact my statement.

You are talking about the 212R which is a 2x12 combo that is 100 watts.

They also make the amp as a head instead of a combo, and the head retails for about 200 bucks, used, I have seen them as low as 100 in minty condition.

I need sleep man, I'm sorry for confusing you

Naw, no problem Bud, I just am not that deep into the whole head vs single piece unit..

I haven't really played around with that many amps because of my location... I do read about certain aspects of it all, but that's not enough...

Hey, didn't you just go to Vegas the other day??

Naw, no problem Bud, I just am not that deep into the whole head vs single piece unit..

I haven't really played around with that many amps because of my location... I do read about certain aspects of it all, but that's not enough...

Hey, didn't you just go to Vegas the other day??

Still here. Leaving on Saturday morning.

All I was saying is that a lot of people ***** about the tone from a solid state, but speakers play a huge role on sound, and for cheap, you could probably find a solid state then get a good cabinet

Still here. Leaving on Saturday morning.

All I was saying is that a lot of people ***** about the tone from a solid state, but speakers play a huge role on sound, and for cheap, you could probably find a solid state then get a good cabinet

I was figuring around 300 bucks, maybe 400 at most for now..

I pre-ordered Epi. re-issue Nighthawk earlier this week, won't get shipped till around Feb. 18th.

so, I don't want to go gonzo on price, If you read earlier posts, seems like everybody like the tube,

I not to sure on that for myself yet...

But my Line 6 spider jam takes to long to fool around with, and I don't like clarity of it in a clean mode...

Computerized amps aren'e always a great thing, even though they can get lots of different tones as well as background tracks like drums rhythm guitar back-up...

I was figuring around 300 bucks, maybe 400 at most for now..

I pre-ordered Epi. re-issue Nighthawk earlier this week, won't get shipped till around Feb. 18th.

so, I don't want to go gonzo on price, If you read earlier posts, seems like everybody like the tube,

I not to sure on that for myself yet...

But my Line 6 spider jam takes to long to fool around with, and I don't like clarity of it in a clean mode...

Computerized amps aren'e always a great thing, even though they can get lots of different tones as well as background tracks like drums rhythm guitar back-up...

I hate the cleans on Line 6 amps. The 212 sounds great clean, and I would just use effects instead of the onboard stuff, doesn't sound that good IMO.

If you were going to be gigging, I would say tube because it cuts through the mix so much better, but for jams and stuff like that, solid state will work fine

I want to eventually pick up one of those small Vox amps with all the built in rhythm tracks for like 60 bucks or something, seems cool for that.

In the end, its all on you man, lots of people like master volume amps, I strongly dislike them. Do what sounds best to you [thumbup]

I am starting to think that the 212R is the way to go.

Big bang for the buck.. $ 300, now to figure out the difference between the 212R and the FM 212R

I think the FM212R is an older version, but the same except cosmetically...Thanks

I will decide in the next 3-4 days, so if anybody else has more ideas, I'm open for them..

I am starting to think that the 212R is the way to go.

Big bang for the buck.. $ 300, now to figure out the difference between the 212R and the FM 212R

I think the FM212R is an older version, but the same except cosmetically...Thanks

I will decide in the next 3-4 days, so if anybody else has more ideas, I'm open for them..

I believe its all cosmetics. They wanted it to look more like their silverface line. My friend almost bought one, but got a killer deal on the 40W Hot Rod combo so he went that route

Yes, I've been hearing a lot about those hot rod amps..

How does your buddy like his??

Personally, I prefer the old style ones and not the new ones Fender released, an you can get em for fairly cheap

It's a great amp, I'm a huge fan of the Fender Twin Reverb, but it's a bit out of both of our price ranges it seems :)

$1500

I have another question to ask about the tube amps.

On average, normal none gig use, roughly how long do the tubes last in newer amps, and have they improved the circuitry in the last, let's say 10 years, so the tubes and their life expectantcy is longer than the 60's for example??

It depends on the amp, player, etc.

Tube life isn't really a big deal. If a tube goes out, you get another one. It's like changing a light bulb in your house. They don't just go bad all the time unless there's something wrong with your amp.

Going from a Line 6 to a nice real tube amp is such a huge step up...

It depends on the amp, player, etc.

Tube life isn't really a big deal. If a tube goes out, you get another one. It's like changing a light bulb in your house. They don't just go bad all the time unless there's something wrong with your amp.

The way my line 6 has been lately, anything is better...smiley-laughing021.gif

the clean tone just is not there hay I want.

The Spider Valve is a great Line 6 TUBE amp...much better than their sold state Jam series..I've had both. The Vox AC15 or AC30 are also excellent (son has AC30c2). Fender amps in general are very good (my cheapo Champ 30 for instance)...but especially sweet if tube based. Tube is the way to go....'cause if you play long enough...you WILL eventually want one.

The new Bogner just went from $1600 down to about $1100...very nice amp.

Archived