Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Decsion

sparky scott 29

I got a quick question for you guys out there..

My main amp I use is currently a Line 6 Spider amp..

Not to bad for just messing around with, a pain to get exact tone back once you twist and dial a little..

My question is: For just jamming around in basement or garage when weather permits it, not for gigging at all.

I have been looking at the Fender 212R frontman, for 3 bills, not tax or shipping charges..

Or the Fender new model G-dec3 30 watts...

I am not going by how loud it will go, rather just sound quality and ease, which I am thinking the 212R would be much easier to use..

The prices are about the same... So, If any of you guys ever used or heard a new g-dec 3 30 watt vs. the 212R ,

Which would you choose?? Pure quality is what I'm thinking, not price difference..

Does the 212 have any cycle hum with it more or less...

You can see what guitars I usually use, except I have a Epi. Nighthawk on order...

Flat out honest answer please...Thanx..

I also see that the 212R from M.F. is a 2 channel, where as the fm212R from Sweetwater has a FM 212R says it's a 3 channel?? Any truth??

VOX AC15, I have the AC30 and it does it all with superb tone. Marry this with an AC pedal from Xotic and you're set for life.

I've heard a lot about the VOX series, and being in a fairly isolated area, haven't seen or heard one in person..

That's 1 thing about living in B.F.E. that ain't cool.. Same with guitars..

I keep hearing places and youtube, ect... that the 212 is one of the biggest bangs for the buck...

But, that's here say to me, as I can't verify that.

I have a G-DEC 3 thirty, and it is a fun amp to play through: very versatile, with line ins, a USB interface for recording/loading patches, the ability to load jamming tracks, a built in tuner, etc.

I would recommend keeping it near a PC though, as it shines when plugged in via USB and used with the Fender FUSE software for patches: it can be a little complex to fool around with all the settings directly on the amp.

the line-in is particularly useful in that it bypasses the modeling: i plug my guitar synth box in there.

all in all, a very good small practice amp.

i would also recommend looking at the new Mustang amps: they appear a bit simpler than the G-DEC to use.

have fun!

Don

Ya know, I really never payed to much attention of how many of amps these days have tubes in them.

Sure I've heard of them, just got done checking some of your guys ideas, thanx for the ideas by the way,

I'm not really thinking, or gave much thought of tubers to be honest..

I really didn't think I wanted a tuber, at least wasn't thinking that way...

But with playing around with big amps and some older amateur radios,

I'm kinda getting tired of those things, especially amps for ham radios usually work on them more than I actually use them..chin.gif

I posted a similar question on a different forum a while back, and had the most responses recommending a Fender Blues Junior. So, in typical fashion, I went out and bought a Hot Rod Deluxe...

I can say this much, though I'm not an amp guy...it's something I'm working into...I've really liked the HRD so far...thought I was buying it more for my Strat, but ended up liking my LP through it just as much, if not more. But again, like with this thread, many recommedations for the Blues Jr. Probably couldn't go wrong with that amp either.

I'm not really recommending the HRD, because it sounds like more amp than you're wanting, but had to give my input some context...

I think another option you might like, is the frontman and use it with a line 6 pod. It's not hard to track tones, and I've heard it's a great combination, like bread and butter. I'm thinking about that combo myself for another practicing option. just my 2 cents.

I posted a similar question on a different forum a while back, and had the most responses recommending a Fender Blues Junior. So, in typical fashion, I went out and bought a Hot Rod Deluxe...

I can say this much, though I'm not an amp guy...it's something I'm working into...I've really liked the HRD so far...thought I was buying it more for my Strat, but ended up liking my LP through it just as much, if not more. But again, like with this thread, many recommedations for the Blues Jr. Probably couldn't go wrong with that amp either.

I'm not really recommending the HRD, because it sounds like more amp than you're wanting, but had to give my input some context...

But, there in lays the delima, the Fender 212R is 100 watts, 2 12" for $ 300.

The hot rod deluxe 112 is 80 watts plus tube, same price or there abouts..

Even the Jr. is a tube, and it costs more as well..

Does everybody dislike the 212R that much in sound, or because of the more power?? msp_confused.gif

I already have a line 6 spider jam 75 water, just tired of playing and fiddling around with all the extra stuff, while I should be playing.

It doesn't have that clean crisp sound to it, at least in my opinion..

But, there in lays the delima, the Fender 212R is 100 watts, 2 12" for $ 300.

The hot rod deluxe 112 is 80 watts plus tube, same price or there abouts..

Even the Jr. is a tube, and it costs more as well..

Does everybody dislike the 212R that much in sound, or because of the more power?? msp_confused.gif

I already have a line 6 spider jam 75 water, just tired of playing and fiddling around with all the extra stuff, while I should be playing.

It doesn't have that clean crisp sound to it, at least in my opinion..

Wow, sorry...didn't really read your post very thoroughly. You're already looking at a 100 watt amp. I don't know anything about the 212R. Is it a tube amp? I do know that the same wattage on a tube amp is much louder than on a solid state.

I'm confused....the Hot Rod Deluxe I know of is about $700 brand new. Is the 112 a different model? I searched it on the web, and returned results for a CABINET that was 299, but not the amp...

Again, going through the responses to my thread, I was told repeatedly that tube wattage is way beyond that of solid state.

Tube amps tend to be more expensive, but most experienced players I've asked SWEAR by them, which is why they're all willing to pay for them.

While I am NO where near a amp guy, the 112 has 1 12" woofer..As far as I know, which wouldn't really amount to a hill of beans on amps, tubes sound better, of course the price factor has to be thrown in there as well.

And no the 212R has 2 12" woofers, no tubes...Which for me, I'm beginning to think that's the way to go..

Not set in stone at all as of yet, I'm still open minded about that..

It's just the 21 century, and tubes have been gone for years..

While if I was a touring pro, then I probably would get a tube...

That's why I'm asking for opinions..smiley-gen162.gif

While I am NO where near a amp guy, the 112 has 1 12" woofer..As far as I know, which wouldn't really amount to a hill of beans on amps, tubes sound better, of course the price factor has to be thrown in there as well.

And no the 212R has 2 12" woofers, no tubes...Which for me, I'm beginning to think that's the way to go..

Not set in stone at all as of yet, I'm still open minded about that..

It's just the 21 century, and tubes have been gone for years..

While if I was a touring pro, then I probably would get a tube...

That's why I'm asking for opinions..smiley-gen162.gif

The Frontman 212 is actually a good amp. Everyone is going to say go tubes, but for your use, this should be fine. Biggest tone improvement would be speakers. Usually, I can find the Fender 212 head (not sure wtf to call the head, but the 100 watt frontman head) for about 150, then see what kind of cabinet you want. Get some good effects and BAM

Well, in my opening, I stated that my Line 6 spider jam has just to many settings..

I have to tinker with it all the time if I want a different sound, it takes forever to get it back, cuz it's a computerized amp..

I want a amp that is much easier to get the settings, without going thru menu after menu..

And, I just don't like the clean portion of it... The computerized amps, I thought I would like, in a way I do, but,

for pure sound quality, I think I have to either get something like the 212r or similar.. But Fender has that newbie amp out called G DEC 3..

It is suppose to be more user friendly... I wasn't sure if anybody out here, has one or heard on yet...

But I think I'll shy away from that new gdec3, and find something more similar to the 212R

I don't want to go back in power really, I realize the new Fender has only 30 watts, but That's what I'm kicking around..

I am getting lots of ideas, which I want to thank you guys for in helping me to chose probably within the next the next week..

I don't want to get to confused either, which I'm sure is easy with all the choices out there..

The Frontman 212 is actually a good amp. Everyone is going to say go tubes, but for your use, this should be fine. Biggest tone improvement would be speakers. Usually, I can find the Fender 212 head (not sure wtf to call the head, but the 100 watt frontman head) for about 150, then see what kind of cabinet you want. Get some good effects and BAM

Hey Fred, the 212R doesn't need a head that I'm aware of, does it?? msp_confused.gif

I don't seem recalling that, but I could be wrong..

Archived