Gibson Brands Forums

What Temperature and Humidity to Keep Guitars In?

Twilight Zodiac

I know it varies from guitar to guitar, but I was wondering what would be an appropriate range of temperature and humidity to keep my guitars in. My LP usually stays in its case, but still. It sucks that I live in the hottest room in the house during the summer and the coldest room in the winter, so I want to make sure my guitars don't go completely outta whack.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

It should be fine. Definitly not the most extreme environment so your guitar will hold up well. May require a tweak as the weather changes tho ... no big deal. A room humidifier in the winter might be a good idea if it's really dry in the room.

All guitars are subject to potential damage due to excess or insufficient humidity, extreme temperatures, rapid temperature or humidity changes or extreme temperature or humidity changes.

They are all made of wood (at least mostly made of wood), and finished with a lacquer or synthetic finish. Both the w and the nitrocellulose lacquer are dynamic substances which contract or expand due to temperature or humidity changes.

People who endeavor to maintain guitars (or other fine wood items), including all guitar manufacturers, endeavor to maintain consistent temperature and humidity levels, within the appropriate range for wooden instruments. That is generally held to be around 70 degrees F at around 40%-45% relative humidity. A reasonable deviation from either, as long as the changes occur gradually rather than very rapidly, is held to be acceptable. Interestingly, the acceptable levels for the instruments, are also levels which are comfortable for many if not most people. A range of around 68-75 degrees (F) and 45-55% RH is what many/most people find comfortable.

Invest in a Digital Thermometer / Hygromoter combination unit (or more than one if instruments are stored in multiple locations of your home) and monitor them. Adjust your home environment accordingly. Many stores such as Radio Shack used to sell those units for around $20 or $25. They will prove to be a very useful investment.

Keep the instruments in their cases whenever not being played as well. Not only does it protect them from impact, but the "air environment" within the case remains more stable given the reduced volume and "closed" environment.

Best of luck!

From what i read humidity of 55% is ideal. Somewhere I read what Martin & Gibson keep their factories at - around this point. You have more room with temperature, as long as really drastic changes are handled gradually. Typically "if you are comfortable, the guitar will be too".

If it is humid, you could put a little humidifier unit in the case w/no water - supposedly it helps take moisure out that way; or use silica gel pak(s). I ordered a hydrometer(?) gauge off Amazon (a <$20 Caliber II, which Martin gets like $40 for! - try a cigar store too) to throw in one of my cases 'cause I am anal about crap like that, AND I am staying at my in-law's house right now and don't have control of the AC - so it has been hotter/more humid this summer then i would have liked.

Around 70F at 50% humidity, don't remember where I got that, but it seems to jive with the others reccomendations.

It just so happens that 71F at 50% humidity is a base standard for critical measurments in the machining industry also.

You don't have to worry as much with a solid body guitar. Accoustics are another story.

Just don't store the case in an area of the house where there is a significant swings in temperatures/humidty from day to day (such as a basement, near a furnace, or a radiator).

"Martin keeps the factory at a constant 45-55 percent humidity and

72-77 degrees Fahrenheit."

As was stated earlier this is primarily for an acoustic, but all my guitars are in a somewhat controlled area which is kept in this range.

:-({|=

By the way' date=' PlanetWaves made a product that you put in your case that authomatically increased or decreased the humidity as needed. It was called the humidipak. The stopped selling it because the gel packs leaked.

[/quote']

And they worked awesome!

I still have one I keep in my J160e that was out of the recall date range. The new ones will be coming out soon, I've already recieved one of the new sets from them to use & report on. I always kept one of those in my solid body cases also.

I should point out that I don't do any type of gigging, so once my instruments are in my "music room" they pretty much stay there. The temprature is controled, as is the humidity.

And they worked awesome!

I still have one I keep in my J160e that was out of the recall date range. The new ones will be coming out soon' date=' I've already recieved one of the new sets from them to use & report on. I always kept one of those in my solid body cases also.

I should point out that I don't do any type of gigging, so once my instruments are in my "music room" they pretty much stay there. The temprature is controled, as is the humidity.[/quote']

Report on--are you a journalist?

The humidpacs did work well, kept guitars around 45% in Arizona but they also had a real flaw, I had eight of the set's in my acoustics and when they sent out the notice I pulled them all and checked them and four of the bags had ruptured or really leaked out of the 24 bags (3 bags per guitar set). Luckily none had leaked out of the nylon holders and it was lucky because the goop was a weird crystalized yellow/brown slimy goop. They have test one's out right now (they sent one to me to test). that look to be a more substantial package, they hoped to be releasing fourth quarter according to their last email. they were pretty good about the recall when I sent all the units back they agreed to either refund my value in like goods or replace the humidipacs when the new ones are released.

Mine go from the house, to the truck, to the bar, outdoor gigs, fog, smog, rain, drizzle, covered in sweat, hot, cold, blood and beer.

Most homes and bars didn't have air conditioning till the mid 60's. Arizona had swamp coolers when I lived out there, which was a good thing.

Lake Charles Louisiana had 99% humidity MANY times. And a lot of outdoor gigs.

I keep an eye on my J45, and my wifes 1933 Gibson mandolin, but the solid bodies go wherever the money is.

Never had an issue. I am carefull to let them acclimate since moving to the cold and Communist State of Illinois.

Best of luck.

Murph.

"Never had an issue. I am carefull to let them acclimate"

point !

.. let the guitar settle regardless of the conditions and make the best of it ...thats the best a gigging musicain can do. bringing a cold guitar from the van to a hot stage is asking for trouble. as far as storing a collection looks like we all agree around 71f and 50%humidity is the best range to keep our babys happy

AND I am staying at my in-law's house right now

So much for the "if you're comfortable" rule of thumb.

fog' date=' smog' date=' rain, drizzle, covered in sweat, hot, cold, blood and beer.[/quote'']

Don't you have Buffalo wing sauce out there?

"Never had an issue. I am carefull to let them acclimate"

point !

.. let the guitar settle regardless of the conditions and make the best of it ...thats the best a gigging musicain can do. bringing a cold guitar from the van to a hot stage is asking for trouble. as far as storing a collection looks like we all agree around 71f and 50%humidity is the best range to keep our babys happy

That's my problem. If it's 6 degrees in Feb., the show must go on.

Who the hell even knows what the humidity is, if you are traveling, and in a different State every night?

I just try to use common sense. It's worked so far!

Murph.

That's my problem. If it's 6 degrees in Feb.' date=' the show must go on.

Who the hell even knows what the humidity is, if you are traveling, and in a different State every night?

I just try to use common sense. It's worked so far!

Murph.[/quote']

thats what makes each gig special ...right? a couple shots of jack daniels always helps ... warm the guitar up

I always have trouble with the changes in temp and humid, although they don't change much here in CA they do just enough to where I need to tweak the truss rod a bit twice a year. I hate California weather, its like it never changes... I want cold!!!! it's 96 now, last Feb we had a day that was 100!!

jmg257 wrote:

AND I am staying at my in-law's house right now

So much for the "if you're comfortable" rule of thumb.

Murph wrote:

fog' date=' smog, rain, drizzle, covered in sweat, hot, cold, blood and beer.

Don't you have Buffalo wing sauce out there?[/quote']

Well, mental comfort aside ....

I always have trouble with the changes in temp and humid' date=' although they don't change much here in CA they do just enough to where I need to tweak the truss rod a bit twice a year. I hate California weather, its like it never changes... I want cold!!!! it's 96 now, last Feb we had a day that was 100!![/quote']

I'll switch winters with you anytime from here is Wisconsin.

Archived