Gibson Brands Forums

What do you guys recommend for flatwound strings?

dem00n

I have 11 gauge Daddarios on my Gibson right now and im not really liking these flatwounds and Ive played other guitars with flatwounds that i loved.

What do you guys say i should try out? Open to anything, this guitar is being used for Jazz mostly.

I played a lotta flatwounds when I started to switch from acoustic "folkie" stuff to rock/electric.

I guess nowadays I just plain don't care for 'em. I don't know what's bothering you about them. I fingerpick so I keep getting light strings.

Light strings are good for fingerpicking and amps can be messed with a little.

But again, what's not good with them to your playing style and head? Too light, too heavy, to high from the fingerboard?

m

Well for some reason anytime i get daddarios, the strings turn really greasy and black on the B and E strings really quick, so its gets kinda slippery. These dont happen to the Erine Balls or Dunlops i put on the solid bodies in-till much later after i put on the strings. Its a little thing, but not much a problem.

That guitar store only had daddarios there...so i guess i gotta go to GC to get flatwounds from a other company.

I've got a jazz box I use D'Addario XL Half Rounds.

The Half Rounds are a very nice middle ground between flat wounds and round wounds. I think they produce better tone than the traditional flat wounds. The D'Addario Half Rounds are round wound with stainless and then ground semi-smooth, so they're much smoother and produce much less finger noise than regular round wounds.

This sounds like a metal finish phenomenon...chrome IMO is a bit hard for a string surface and may discolour after some use

Hence the other brands quoted as free of this issue

My flirtation with flatwounds was fairly brief...finding them somewhat limited in tone colour

Having listened to the likes of Wes, Tal, Herb, Mundell et al

I relish a more snappy dynamic sound....

V

:-({|=

I've got a jazz box I use D'Addario XL Half Rounds.

The Half Rounds are a very nice middle ground between flat wounds and round wounds. I think they produce better tone than the traditional flat wounds. The D'Addario Half Rounds are round wound with stainless and then ground semi-smooth, so they're much smoother and produce much less finger noise than regular round wounds.

I've never used these on a 6 string, but have them on my bass, and they are my fav's. I'll have to try them out on electric.

Archived