Gibson Brands Forums

LES PAUL OLD HICKORY

cullie

I don't have details but if you search for the Gibson press release I am sure you can find it.

"Old Hickory" was the house of President Andrew Jackson, just east of Nashville.

In 1998 (I think) tornadoes hit Nashville, one of them tore through Old Hickory knocking down some really, really old trees. Somehow Gibson was able to use the wood of those trees to make some Les Pauls. Hence the name Old Hickory.

That's the gist of the story.

looks like a very low run of guitars. i have 108 off 188 thanks for the info

I don't have details but if you search for the Gibson press release I am sure you can find it.

"Old Hickory" was the house of President Andrew Jackson, just east of Nashville.

In 1998 (I think) tornadoes hit Nashville, one of them tore through Old Hickory knocking down some really, really old trees. Somehow Gibson was able to use the wood of those trees to make some Les Pauls. Hence the name Old Hickory.

Yup.....There is info on those online.........Very nice LPs IMO......The wood is actually poplar......Please share pics of your guitar; nice clear big pics.....

I thought "Old Hickory" was Andy Jackson himself, not his house?

Yes, you are right, that was his nick name, but his house/property was also named Old Hickory though, and the guitars were made to use the wood from those historic trees (and to show the Spirit of NAshville in that something good comes out of something bad).

Hard to keep track around here, Old Hickory (the town), Old Hickory Boulevard, Old Hickory Lake, Old Hickory Elementary School...you get the idea.

Yes, you are right, that was his nick name, but his house/property was also named Old Hickory though, and the guitars were made to use the wood from those historic trees (and to show the Spirit of NAshville in that something good comes out of something bad).

Hard to keep track around here, Old Hickory (the town), Old Hickory Boulevard, Old Hickory Lake, Old Hickory Elementary School...you get the idea.

"Old Hickory" was Jackson's nickname, "The Hermitage" is the name of Jackson's house.

Oh yea, you are right, I knew I was missing something. (I don't live on that side of town)

I remember they resotored the barn and was called Old Hickory but I may be off on that too.

From wikipedia:

"It escaped a near-disaster during the 1998 Nashville tornado outbreak. An F-3 tornado crossed the property at approximately 4:00 p.m. CDT on April 16, 1998, missing the house and gravesite, but toppling many trees that had reportedly been planted by Jackson himself nearly 200 years earlier. Although the trees had once hidden the house from view of passers-by on U.S. Route 70, it is now in plain sight"

I remember this day, spent a couple of hours in the staircase of our office building.

Archived