Gibson Brands Forums

what is this, never seen this before?

hotshot9991

I was looking at the evh Wolfgang pickups and I found one of the bottom base plate and of all the wiring.I wanted to know is why are the 4 leading wires soldered like exactly on the bobbin is there like a little hole in the bobbin with with the coil and is threaded through it? I just wanna know what it is and how they do it, I have a pic at the bottom.

I think he was asking why they are connected that way instead of the traditional soldered inside the bobbin wind and then wrapped with tape. My guess would be that it makes them easier to manufacture and less chance for screwing up the wire on the bobbin. It is actually a pretty nice way of doing it because if you end up with a short lead you can easily replace the lead wire. I would also guess that it helps eliminate phase issues since it is easy to see what wire is going to what lead. Sometimes with other pickups they will use the wrong color wire on the coil lead and if you follow the wiring guide they provide your pickup is out of phase.

Overall I think it is a pretty tight design myself...

Andy

Archived