Gibson Brands Forums

Plain Vs Figured?

Murph

Is it all looks, or is there a structural difference, tonal, anal, or any other?

I only wonder because I've never bought a laminate guitar before, and am curious if there is any difference over the years with durability, ect. I mean, how thick are the plys in an ES-335, and how many are there?

Thanks.

Murph.

Don't remember where I got this from, but the ES archtops are made with three plies - maple/poplar/maple. You can see from the videos that they're hot-pressed into shape at the same time that they're glued together. Surf the links from "media' on the gibson custom site.

A laminated top is stronger and more durable than a solid top, with much less chance of cracking, splitting or breaking. It's also less expensive to produce, and easier to work with.

As for sound differences, that is always in the ear of the beholder. I know a internationally renown jazz guitarist that not only prefers laminated tops on his archtops, his signature model guitars are built that way.

My ES guitars are of course laminated maple, and my L series are carved spruce solid tops, so I can't really compare apples to apples as far as tone.

I have heard that the "figured" tops use 5 plys.....and the sound is supposed to be better

That would be the opposite of what I would think. More plies equals more pieces of wood fighting against each other and more glue. As far as strength, it's correct that 5 ply would be stronger but that's not the goal with the body of a musical instrument. You want it to vibrate as freely as possible.

They are all 5-ply, with some exceptions due to what was available and/or cheap enough at the time: maple for the top, middle and bottom plies, and various -- poplar, mahogany, spruce, and whatnot for the intervening plies.

I personally think the species of wood in the intermediate plies affect the tone, since my (apparently) maple/walnut/maple/walnut/maple Epi Sheraton II sounds more trebly compared to a friend's Gibson ES-340, which I haven't had apart, so don't know what's what.

As far as figure goes, I get great compliments on my Epiphone's appearance by people out in the audience: the 340 is bird's eye, but try to distinguish that 20' away!

I'd love to have a Gibson ES-335, but, dammit, for the $400 I've got invested in the Epi (with hard case) I can't justify the added cost of figured wood.

The upside of a nicely figured top is in the inspiration it gives the player every time the case gets opened.

I don't get to look at it while I'm playing of course, but years later I still say "Wow!" when I open the case and pull out my #1. That inspiration => better playing => better tone => more creativity => stronger effort to be 'worthy' of the thing => better results.

And that.... is priceless.

One man's opinion, and easy for me to say! :-s

The upside of a nicely figured top is in the inspiration it gives the player every time the case gets opened.

There are some of us who don't really feel that way. I have a very fancy custom made Jumbo acoustic (pics below) made with figured wood (as you can see) that has pearl/abalone/gold inlays forming butterflies on the peghead' date=' heel cap and for the position markers.

I never play it. Instead, I play my '60s Ventura flat top that the same luthier put a bear claw spruce top on (to replace the plywood original) that sounds like a piano.

The butterfly guitar is based on a '37 Kay jumbo owned by the luthier, that's about as plain as a guitar can be: single-ply celluloid binding on the top and back, discolored white plastic pickguard, and cheapo three-on-a-plate tuners. The guy has turned down many a generous offer (including mine!) for that old beast, because when you pick it up it sings to you. Sure wish the butterfly did....

[img']http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p362/lpdeluxe1/BullFrogMountainJumbo.jpg[/img]

BullFrogMountainJumbo122rear.jpg

I LIKE the plain top on my LP Deluxe goldtop, and I LIKE the plain maple on my Sheraton II. It looks like a tool, not male jewelry.

You may disagree.

You're right in the sense that I should have added something like "...and when the guitar actually delivers on the 'promise' of the upscale appointments, then..."

My plain-jane MIM white Tele gives me almost as much pleasure as my figured CS-356 in certain situations, and it cost 1/10th as much. When a guitar has "something good going on" then it's a keeper regardless of what it looks like, and... looks are no guarantee that the sound will deliver.

Even though I cop to being influenced by the way my 356 looks to me (long after its purchase), I always recommend that people shop (or finalize a purchase) with their ears, not their eyes.

I found this topic interesting since I've alway's wondered why my 84 Gibson 335, fininshed in antique natural, has a relatively plain top and a highly figure back. It's a beautiful guitar but I always thought they got it kind of backwards. I personally would have preferred the highly figured to be on the top. I bought it used in 89.

Speaking of the 84 Es-335.. I've alway's wondered where it falls in collectability too. It was made in Kalamazoo but I believe that's when Norlin (I think that's the right name) owned the company. I don't know if that detracts or not. It's very high quality craftsmanship. It's unique in that it has a factory installed Kahler trem system that's finished in gold like the rest of the guitar hardware. I wrote to Gibson and they confirmed that the trem system was installed at the factory and that Kahler supplied the trem with the Gibson logo stamped in the steel frame. I think that was a popular system in the 80's. It has a dark rosewood finger board with the block trapezoidal inlay's. I sent pic's to Gibson and they belive it was sort of a one off custom... It doesn't have the "custom" plaque on it. It also has a 3 piece maple neck which makes the guitar a solid maple color throughout.. but probably makes it a little bright in sound. Just curious... I love the guitar and wouldn't part with it.

I hope I didn't stray too far from the subject. maybe I'll write a seperate post regarding the 80's 335's

Thanks

HP

I found this topic interesting since I've alway's wondered why my 84 Gibson 335' date=' fininshed in antique natural, has a relatively plain top and a highly figure back. It's a beautiful guitar but I always thought they got it kind of backwards. I personally would have preferred the highly figured to be on the top.[/quote']

I used to have a '75 ES-335 that was the same way, plain top, figured back. I never did quite get it since both were made of same type maple laminate.

I used to have a '75 ES-335 that was the same way' date=' plain top, figured back. I never did quite get it since both were made of same type maple laminate.[/quote']

Not only that, but made on the same machinery! The tops and backs were interchangeable before the f-holes were cut, etc. You'd think it'd be too easy to put the figure on top.

I had a '67 Ric 366/12 that had (so I was told) a sycamore body. Very light and resonant, and a strong flame figure -- on the back! I guess they expected you to play it back ways to.

Archived