Gibson Brands Forums

The Band

FirstMeasure

Haha FM, I saw this and had to think the timing was almost too perfect. Might be common knowledge (might not) that I am a Band fanatic. They shaped who I am both as a person and as a musician more than any other band. Its fantastic stuff, lyrically rich (shames many of the "songwriters" today if you asked me) and the folky-countryish feel they inherited from Bob Dylan after their days as Ronnie Hawkins' Hawks just hooks me in. Rick Danko's unearthly wail, provides a beautiful color to the tapestry, coupled with Leevon's raspy yell (my cousin recently got to see Leevon live, I am so jealous) you can't go wrong.

Plus, The Last Waltz is effing fantastic (and if you haven't seen it its more than worth the fee).

Thanks for this FM.

Not a lot of people love The Band like that, easy to remember. [thumbup] The Last Waltz made me want to perform on stage, and put on a good show. Not just go out there and show off (although there is a certain amount of showing off in showmanship). And Rick Danko's Vocal Harmonies are outa site!

The Band is great. Music From Big Pink is an all time favorite. I have to say though, they are

one of those bands that I love listening to but I can't really relate as a player. Not a dig at

all. I find there are many bands that I love as a listener, but can't really grasp what they do

as a musician. Maybe Robbie's style is just too far removed from my own. There has to be a name

for this.

The Beatles are the same way for me. Love them! But I've never played any of their tunes, and they

have not shaped me in the way that Cream and Zeppelin and Hendrix did. Hope I'm not rambling here.

I have given this some thought in the past, but never really tried to explain it before.

I have to say I feel the same surfpup, if ever I get a chance to get a recording on here for your listening (dis?)pleasure you'll hear the massive differences between Robbie and I's playing style. Music From Big Pink sits high in my list of favorites. His playing is fantastic!

I'll be sure to check that book out Larry! Thanks for the heads up

Archived