Gibson Brands Forums

UPS destroyed my 333

sneakerpimp

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too long ago I purchased a new L5 CES. I kept the factory box. I'm selling a 1961 Guild Stuart A500. Boxed the guitar in the Gibson box. Many of you know the Gibson boxes have contoured cardboard inserts that suspend the hard shell case in the box.

I took it to the UPS distribution center for shipment to Archtop.com. The agent grimaced and opened the end of the box. She said "no way". She said the case has to be cushioned with at least 2 inches of packing on all sides in order for UPS to ship it insured. I thanked her and left.

Took it FedEx. Off it went and I've been notified it arrived undamaged.

I guess it all depends on the individual at UPS weather it's shippable or not.

how long does the damage inspection take? UPS picked up everything 44 hours ago already.

Did you not take my advice? Why is the selling making you wait for a refund. This is his problem. Not yours.. I'm not sure why your going without. Is the seller refusing a refund. Or did ebay talk you into waiting?

after waiting eBay's recommended 48-72 hours after Case Escalation for their Decision, it never came so i immediately called their Customer Support line at 866-877-3229. took only 30 seconds of explanation to get to Level 2 Support.

eBay has ruled in my favor and will issue me a full refund. they also said UPS will indeed honor the Seller's damage claim.

That's great news! Did the seller say anything else?

the seller has been mysteriously silent. our last communication was monday when i asked for the refund immediately and opted to escalate my case based on his reply. he could have told me 2 days ago that UPS approved his claim but he did not.

i have the last word because he left positive feedback for me already while i have not left feedback.

ebay finally issued the refund just now... after i phoned them twice and sent a scathing survey response.

thanks again to everyone who offered kind words and sound advice.

i can finally put this disaster to rest. that will be the last time i purchase a big ticket item from an individual and all future shipping of such items from my end will be thru fedex.

Seems like every "broken guitar via shipping" story I've read involves UPS. From what I've read you should insist on FedEx next time.

+ 1 on this. I had an MIJ Epi Texan shipped via UPS bought on the BAYwith a cracked neck!!

[cursing]

EpiphoneTexanDamage3.jpg

ebay finally issued the refund just now... after i phoned them twice and sent a scathing survey response.

thanks again to everyone who offered kind words and sound advice.

i can finally put this disaster to rest. that will be the last time i purchase a big ticket item from an individual and all future shipping of such items from my end will be thru fedex.

Hey Sneakerpimp,...dumb question but did the seller loosen the string tension on the guitar?

Sneakerpimp

Don't ruin the guys feedback. He didn't break the neck. He probably spent the money you paid. Give the guy a break. At least you learned how to deal with Ebay when you have a problem.

Another lesson if you buy direct off the Internet and don't use Ebay. Even if you use Paypal. Were you to have this same situation. Paypal would help you monitor it, but you have to wait for the claim to be paid. Before getting your money. Also if just with Paypal and your not satisfied with the item. Your screwed if the Seller doesn't want to take it back. They won't help you on that front.

I know this because I've been down both Roads. If you buy from a Forum Member your on your own. The only way Paypal would help is if the item is damaged or you didn't get it. If it shows up with missing parts or scratches not mentioned. Sorry they don't care. I just backed out of a deal with a forum member ( Different Forum). The more I spoke with the guy. The more I could see he'd be a real jerk if there was a problem. So I chose to not buy. Turned out I was right. He has posted really nasty comments in several threads. Even if the thread had nothing to do with our me in any way.Just to say something snotty.

Glad things worked out:

Hey Sneakerpimp,...dumb question but did the seller loosen the string tension on the guitar?

not a dumb question sir.

i don't think he did... i pushed down on the headstock to see if he did so and there was still quite a bit of tension left. i'm pretty sure that thing popped like a small explosion, which explains the splinters all over the inside of the case.

Wow, makes me feel sick to my stomach! It appears that the headstock was resting on the case and had an impact in transit.

This bring a good point to check and make sure our cases provide proper support. I always check proper case fit to make sure there is clearance with the headstock and the case. Also if you strum your guitar and shut the case you should still hear it ring; then check to make sure there is support at the neck/body joint. I had to use a small towel in this area to minimize pressure on the neck.

Others might have other tips on proper case fit.

Lots of points already covered in this thread. I'll just add my observations quickly.

Glad everything worked out for you, and honestly despite the perceived hassles, it seems to have been resolved pretty quick.

All shippers have similar horror stories; UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS - all of them. Sometimes **** just happens.

Not defending the seller, but Gibson does indeed ship their guitars in empty boxes with nothing more than a piece of cardboard to hold the headstock from moving around and they rarely have problems (compare to how many get shipped).

I've bought and sold hundreds and hundres of big ticket guitars and amps over the last decade and only had one issue where UPS dropped an amp head and broke the shell.

I personally take the tension off the headstock by loosening the strings, and a use packing both inside and outside the case, its a tank when it leaves my house.

That break looks really clean, and probably in the best place you could hope for in such an incident. Its an easy fix and will still make a fine guitar for whomever owns it later.

I love 333's and they are great for hot-rodding.

oh, boy do i have something to say...

you have to be careful these days because we live in an age where poeple do NOT want to take responsibilty for thier actions. when you buy something where the seller ships it, regardless of how much they charge, if they hire the shipper, THEY are responsible for the shipping, not you, and the shipper is responsible to the one who hired them. the buyer or recipient has really limeted control over the shipper, because they didn't hire them in the first place. and obviously, you have no control over packing.

i am constantly shocked at how someone can NOT feel responsible to a buyer after taking their money, going through the actions of packing and hiring the shipper, and expect the buyer to be out if things don't go well. from adults, no less. i personally would be ashamed to tell a person they will be out of luck with the money they paid me if the shipper fails to live of to thier obligation to me, THE ONE THEY DID BUSINESS WITH.

and what is really surprising is how often this happens. you never see it with a business, but with private individuals, it seems to happen more often than not. and i wonder where in society did things change to where if you are not a business and a private citizen, that business ethics do not apply when DOING BUSINESS! HEELLOOO!

similar thing happened to me, so i feel your pain, and the thing is the person i did business with seemed like a perfectly ethical guy until the situation came up, and he said the exact same thing. now, if and when i buy online, i make it clear that the seller who is shipping to me is responsible for the stuff to my door, regardless of how he ships it or what he wants to charge me for shipping.

I am glad that the problem is solved and they refunded the money. [biggrin]

It was interesting to hear about UPS's mistake though. [confused] I almost always shop from Amazon and the items I buy get to me the fastest and in best condition when they ship it with UPS. I bought myself a LP Studio as a new year present and it came in three days, in perfect condition too. (First time i bought a guitar online, but the rest of the stuff comes in great condition)

Although it is a bit slower when they ship it with FedEx, the condition is very good with that too. When they ship my goods with USPS however, I start praying... Most of the boxes I get from them tend to be dented. I wonder what happens to them during shipping :( :( .

I am awaiting delivery of a Fender Strat from the US to Europe by USPS at the moment and this thread has made me very nervous.............

I will keep you posted on my outcome....

should be here any day........

Well just an update...on the above. My 1987 American Standard Fender Strat arrived yesterday safe and sound. Sent USPS from California to my location here in Europe. The outer packaging had taken a pounding, and there were damage holes in the outer packaging.

But the sender had done a great job of bubble wrapping the neck tuning down the tension on the neck and I am glad to say, it survived the journey, and is here being enjoyed along with my Gibson and Epiphone guitars........

this thread had my nerves really on edge........

it is evident, the package had taken a beating, even though there were FRAGILE stickers a plenty.......

but this one got through...... [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

I feel bad for You ,

I do hope that the seller took out adequate (equivalent to selling price + shipping ) to cover issues like this

I have not sold a guitar for some time on ebay but always double-boxed , bubble wrap (Headstock got plenty)

and no shifting at all in the box (Even bubble wrap or support-cushion the headstock in the case )

( agree its on the seller and poor packing and UPS drop kicker ) they say prepare your item to have up to 10+ boxes

and well over 100 pounds on top of yours *Christmas shipping advice posted on Fed Ex, UPS or USPS

I think Fed Ex does a better job but who really knows the claim % (other than their actuaries )

You have rights on ebay and with Paypal, I sure hope it works out 100 % I stopped selling on eBay

for the most part (after a package did not arrive (I fully insured it though) and the buyer walked me through the claims

process (imho he got the two 1940's HO train cars with brass wheels and even real brass springs and couplers

and imho he got the two cars and reimbursed (My bad though on one aspect being trusting, Person stated only address

was a P.O. Box which negates some forms with the postal service (IT took 6 months to get the $ and no hassle from buyer

ha * never again and always listed No P.O. Boxes will be shipped to and stuck with Fed Ex or UPS and I paid the insurance too!

We sold on ebay when paypal was not even there yet or could be not a option, 1996 we started and ? when stopped selling, occasionaly buy a item or two now

no high dollars though

Best and Don't GIVE UP! Ever !

ambienttales

eusa_think.gifeusa_wall.gifmsp_cursing.gifmsp_confused.gif

Edit- added info based on resolve

added info-

I am so glad that ebay ruled in your favor and that no $$ hit was taken though certainly a very stressful situation ,

Peace

ambienttales

smile.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

I feel bad for You ,

I do hope that the seller took out adequate (equivalent to selling price + shipping ) to cover issues like this

I have not sold a guitar for some time on ebay but always double-boxed , bubble wrap (Headstock got plenty)

and no shifting at all in the box (Even bubble wrap or support-cushion the headstock in the case )

( agree its on the seller and poor packing and UPS drop kicker ) they say prepare your item to have up to 10+ boxes

and well over 100 pounds on top of yours *Christmas shipping advice posted on Fed Ex, UPS or USPS

I think Fed Ex does a better job but who really knows the claim % (other than their actuaries )

You have rights on ebay and with Paypal, I sure hope it works out 100 % I stopped selling on eBay

for the most part (after a package did not arrive (I fully insured it though) and the buyer walked me through the claims

process (imho he got the two 1940's HO train cars with brass wheels and even real brass springs and couplers

and imho he got the two cars and reimbursed (My bad though on one aspect being trusting, Person stated only address

was a P.O. Box which negates some forms with the postal service (IT took 6 months to get the $ and no hassle from buyer

ha * never again and always listed No P.O. Boxes will be shipped to and stuck with Fed Ex or UPS and I paid the insurance too!

We sold on ebay when paypal was not even there yet or could be not a option, 1996 we started and ? when stopped selling, occasionaly buy a item or two now

no high dollars though

ambienttales

added info-

I am so glad that ebay ruled in your favor and that no $$ hit was taken though certainly a very stressful situation ,

Peace

ambienttales

I feel bad for You ,

no high dollars though

ambienttales

added info-

Peace

ambienttales

Archived