Gibson Brands Forums

folk metal...anyone?

S t e v e

I did not...where in Canada, do you know?

That I am not sure of. Profugus Mortis was the name they started with. I think there was a tiny line up change and the name was changed to Black Guard in 2008, I believe. I listened to their stuff under the PM name for a short time, then got a myspace friend request for BG and noticed similar sound and band members. They stop by my area several times a year.

I think a lot of "European" sorts of stuff the past 30 years or so might be considered "folk metal" in a number of ways. That's one reason I'd asked some questions about Russian instruments and music since that's a huge set of subcultures that certainly has had lotza folks combining folk and "popular" music traditions in various sorts of venues...

m

That sort of thing almost never goes away. Even the fife.

It's a matter of whether a larger or smaller group is "into" that kind of instrumentation.

The disadvantage to most is the lack of amplification other than microphones, at least as most of us know the instruments.

Another neat one is the old mountain dulcimer that has drones and one melody string. It could, I'm certain, quite easily be electrified and even converted into an instrument one might play while standing as with a guitar.

Accordions have been electrified for decades, so that's not such a big deal at all. Ditto fiddles of various sorts. The banjo shouldn't be so hard to electrify with either some sort of piezo or even a magnetic of some sort...

m

Accordions have been electrified for decades, so that's not such a big deal at all. Ditto fiddles of various sorts. The banjo shouldn't be so hard to electrify with either some sort of piezo or even a magnetic of some sort...

m

I'm playing banjo for church on Sunday...just holding it up to a mic...we'll se how it goes. Never been done.

Mojo...

I've only used a regular mike for mostly bluegrass and/or old mountain "frailing" style banjo, and that was 35 years ago I used it much.

Somewhere I have a late 1960s contact microphone that probably would fit somewhere, but there's always a major feedback danger. It seems to me that perhaps attaching some sort of piezo at the base of the bridge or to the resonator should kinda work.

We've seen solidbody fiddles and mandolins but I've never seen a solidbody electric banjo. yet I'll wager somebody's tried and had great difficulty making something they figured would be commercial.

But with some of the newer tech out there, I'd wager there's something that would work better than a contact mike if folks figured there was a demand. Or at minimum there'd be a degree of marketing for some of the newer contact mike type things like the ones you can kinda stick inside an acoustic guitar...

m

Mojo...

I've only used a regular mike for mostly bluegrass and/or old mountain "frailing" style banjo, and that was 35 years ago I used it much.

Somewhere I have a late 1960s contact microphone that probably would fit somewhere, but there's always a major feedback danger. It seems to me that perhaps attaching some sort of piezo at the base of the bridge or to the resonator should kinda work.

We've seen solidbody fiddles and mandolins but I've never seen a solidbody electric banjo. yet I'll wager somebody's tried and had great difficulty making something they figured would be commercial.

But with some of the newer tech out there, I'd wager there's something that would work better than a contact mike if folks figured there was a demand. Or at minimum there'd be a degree of marketing for some of the newer contact mike type things like the ones you can kinda stick inside an acoustic guitar...

m

Yeah, I'm going old school. Just standing close to a regular vocal mic and hope the volume stays consistant. So no wandering the stage for me.

Actually the darned things almost don't need all that much most of the time if there are decent acoustics. The darned things can be loud whether you want 'em to be or not. <grin> Which is why, of course, one might get a bridge mute for 'em. Or at least you could in the olden days. Yeah, I've got one.

m

Archived