Gibson Brands Forums

SG Pickguard

guitargreg1993

Hey, I'm thinking of putting a P-90 in the neck of my SG. I love the sound of a P-90 in the neck, but prefer a humbucker in the bridge... anyone know where I could find a SG pickguard (the full style, not 61 "half" style) cut out for a P-90 in the neck and a HB in the bridge?? Thanks [biggrin]

Actually the p100 is different. The humbucker sized p90 is the p94.

Like cabba said you'll probably have to get one custom cut whick is no big deal. Installing a p90 is kindof a big deal though you'll have to do some drilling and routing. It's pretty minimal though and covered by the pickguard.

Thanks for clearing that up, I'd not heard of the P94.

So, what are the tonal differences between the P100 and the P94?

The p94 is a humbucker sized p90 so theoretically it should sound just like a p90. I've heard they sound a little different than regular p90s but I haven't compared for myself so I can't say.

I believe the p100 is a stacked humbucker that is p90 sized. I think it also may have a ceramic magnet. I could be wrong though so don't hold me to that. I think charlie brown has some p100s. I'm sure he could tell you what's up.

Terrapin Guitars or WDmusic.

thanks man!! terrapin guitars has exactly what I'm looking for... i can get a custom-made pickguard drilled for a HB in the bridge and P-90 in the neck for about $40 [biggrin]

ok now here's the next question:

I'm gonna go with a 3-ply black/something/black... thinking about either cream or red for the middle layer. if i went with cream it would look very similar to how it currently looks, just a little more "aged"... i like how the red looks and it would look really cool, except that I'm a little worried about how bad it would look if the red didn't match the red finish of the guitar very well....

should I go with the red or stick with the "safe" route and go for the cream??

The p94 is a humbucker sized p90 so theoretically it should sound just like a p90. I've heard they sound a little different than regular p90s but I haven't compared for myself so I can't say.

I believe the p100 is a stacked humbucker that is p90 sized. I think it also may have a ceramic magnet. I could be wrong though so don't hold me to that. I think charlie brown has some p100s. I'm sure he could tell you what's up.

The P94 is an alnico P90 in humbuckersize, the sound is a litle different, but very usefull, and give a nice sound.

The P100 is a stacked humbucker in P90 size, the singer of Greenday has a P100 in his Gibson LP Junior

Cool, so keeping to P90 size, an interesting combo could be a P100 in the bridge and a P90 in the neck?

Wow, I'd like to here that in an Explorer. [smile]

Listen to Danko Jones live, he uses a Explorer, with a P94 in the bridge position and a stock Gibson humbucker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVWGytEWDWY

I'd go with cream but I'd also go with a 5 ply instead of 3 ply. 5 ply looks a lot classier IMO. They come with 5 ply...

they don't have 5 ply black w/ cream... they only have 5 ply with black and white.... of course I'm sure I could have them make it specially for me but that would cost a lot of $$$$....

Archived