Gibson Brands Forums

Epi. Junior (Dyed Fretboard) & Special II (Pickguard)

BlueEpiphone

Here are pics of my latest projects. I dyed the rosewood fretboard of my Epiphone Junior using Minwax wood Stain (Ebony 2718) that Whitmore Willy recommended. It turned out fine and I'm sure I could darken it more but after four applications the house began smelling like stain.

The Epiphone LP Special II received a new pickguard, knobs, pup switch ring, and simulated binding (self-adhesive gold pinstripe). The pickguard and bracket were designed for the Gibson Les Paul and had to be shortened and reshaped because the Special II has that pesky volume pot that precludes the use of an unmodified LP style pickguard. The pickguard and bracket/hardware cost about $20 total. I'm not satisfied with the color or realism of the "binding" tape so I plan to (somehow) apply a more accurately contoured line of creme-color paint (or tape).

This is such a cliche, but I must apologize for the picture quality (I'm using a Sony Webbie HD camera). I will start taking pics outside because this fluorescent lighting is terrible for photography. Thanks.

Rosewood.jpgSpecialIITrim.jpg

Lookin' good Blue. I think that's about as dark as you can get a rosewood board with the Minwax dyes.

Sometime when I have a trashed fretboard, I'm gonna try sanding it first to see if it's possible to turn it totally black.

Thanks for posting though, this should go in the DIY thread...

I dyed the rosewood fretboard of my Epiphone Junior using Minwax wood Stain (Ebony 2718) that Whitmore Willy recommended.

Credit where credit is due.

It was Brianh that made the suggestion.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/62719-bridge-tilted-dyeing-rosewood-and-coil-splitting/

Talk about a team player. Even in responding to this thread he was more concerned with complimenting Blue on a job well done than taking credit for his suggestion.

Kudos and a vote up for Brian!

By the way Blue, it did come out looking great.

Willy

Thanks, crust. How is your repair project progressing?

I called the "guitar doctor" yesterday and spoke with his wife. My old Japanese guitar is still being worked on so I will not bring it there until that is done, maybe in 2 or 3 weeks. No hurry.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry , brianh. You were the one who

recommended the Minwax. Both Willy and brianh are worth listening to

when they have something to say. They've done me right with good

information. Thank you.

If you guys ever use black stain remember to apply it indoors and accidently spill it on the floor (make sure that is carpeted). Did I really think I would die if I had to do this outdoors in 55 degree weather? Did I wipe my lips with a rag I wasen't 100% sure might have stain all over it? Did I find out BEFORE I went out in public, or did some lady at the store ask me

If I was chewing a pen?

[lol]

That's too damn funny Blue, did you take any pics of the black lips?

We need it for WARNINGS and SAFETY section of the DIY thread....[biggrin]

I felt awfully stupid with commando paint in public. I suppose this is what I must have looked like: doglips.jpg

Okay maybe not exactly....I had less stain than depicted here. I would have to agree that sanding the fretboard would be required to get a solid ebony look. The $50 parts guitar I have has a real ebony fretboard and my Epi fretboard really just looks like a darker specimen of rosewood. (the parts guitar is a real diamond in the rough: LP shaped body, 2 S/D '59 pups, flat ebony fingerboard, jumbo frets, abalone inlays, thru neck, triple binding, and premium electrics and hardware...I'll post pics soon)

If the motivation strikes I will give the Epi. rosewood additional treatments and see what new mishaps will develope (sandpaper+fretboard=not good). Here's a pic of the second try at pinstriping. It came out better but I think creme would look better than gold.DSC01206.jpg

Archived