Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone listen to Indie Rock?

Silenced Fred

Nice dem00n. Check out Thingy.

I like Fortress but I've heard it WAY too many times. What I meant by the Tighten Up thing is that that was their most popular song that got them some attention and it became the only song most people know by them.

Pinback is a two piece. The way their recordings are layered is really cool IMO. I love all the little samples and everything. A lot of the samples are from a movie called Dark Star and episodes of Twilight Zone. They also got the name Pinback and some song ideas from Dark Star.

Here's a song with some sweet Twilight Zone samples

boo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started reading this thread and had to jump pass almost all of it. I'm an Independent Writer and Musician. My first CD came out in 2007. At the time being of no label and writing and recording on your own was Indie Rock of all Genre's. Because all my songs were recorded with out anyone else but me I was put in a Genre between Folk( Because it was me singing and playing) Or Electronica (Because The song had no words and was all keyboard). I don't know how there trying to define the word now, But in the begenning it was for the Independent Artist writing and recording on their on. Oh and by the way the CD is Called "ALONE" and I sell it on CD BABY .com.[confused]

I'm definitely learning something here. Never was a fan of pigeon-holes and catagorization for music but I do see the need for it. When people browse or shop, they need a starting point. And if you're a musician, you need to be found so you need to suck it up and pick a genre to be included in even though "no one in the world has ever made music exactly like you."

Up til reading this thread though, I thought indie music was made by any band not signed to a recording contract. Shows what I know. Thanks for the info.

I'm definitely learning something here. Never was a fan of pigeon-holes and catagorization for music but I do see the need for it. When people browse or shop, they need a starting point. And if you're a musician, you need to be found so you need to suck it up and pick a genre to be included in even though "no one in the world has ever made music exactly like you."

Up til reading this thread though, I thought indie music was made by any band not signed to a recording contract. Shows what I know. Thanks for the info.

Well, your definition IS correct.........The meaning has 'evolved' somehow for some reason........

Anyways; Why did the Indie band turn down the record deal ??? They didn't want to be LABELED .............:unsure: [flapper] ...

I'm jealous dude. I drove all the way to Hollywood (not that far but lots of insane traffic) to see Three Mile Pilot but it wasn't an all ages show and I wasn't 18 yet at the time. Actually I didn't drive. My friend did. We still ended up having an really good time but..

I shouldn't complain though. They're from San Diego so they play in southern California all the time. I just never check their tour schedules even though I love them and really want to see them.

Do you know if it's gonna be the Rob and Zack show or the full live band?

I'm jealous dude. I drove all the way to Hollywood (not that far but lots of insane traffic) to see Three Mile Pilot but it wasn't an all ages show and I wasn't 18 yet at the time. Actually I didn't drive. My friend did. We still ended up having an really good time but..

I shouldn't complain though. They're from San Diego so they play in southern California all the time. I just never check their tour schedules even though I love them and really want to see them.

Do you know if it's gonna be the Rob and Zack show or the full live band?

I'm gonna check it out. I just saw on ticketmaster, now I'll have to go to their website and see. I just saw their name pop up on ticketmaster and I thought you would appreciate it

They have a good sound, I've been enjoying it a ton lately

Yeah man you should go. I've heard they're really good live. If anything it's just awesome to watch Zack play bass.

By the way let me just say that I HATE ticketmaster. Everytime I buy a ticket there's like a $20 "convinience fee" slapped on top. Even when the tickets are only like $10. I don't know if it's cause I usually buy 2 or what.

Yeah man you should go. I've heard they're really good live. If anything it's just awesome to watch Zack play bass.

By the way let me just say that I HATE ticketmaster. Everytime I buy a ticket there's like a $20 "convinience fee" slapped on top. Even when the tickets are only like $10. I don't know if it's cause I usually buy 2 or what.

yeah, I'm going to see if I can just buy them through the venue. It's ridiculous and the tickets are only 15 bucks each.

BTW, what is the set up for the band? Like who plays what?

Yeah, a lot of people are going to go "WTF is indie rock?" but then this thread probably isn't for you.

I worked with my drummer today and we worked on some songs, and the two new songs that we did pretty much sounded like straight up indie rock.

Any fans? Any good bands I should listen to? Don't listen to it a whole lot, but the songs turned out sweet [thumbup]

love this [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkzRNyygfk

Zack plays bass and it seems like Rob usually plays guitar live but he might play keys too. They used a few different session drummers for recording and if they're playing as their live band they have a drummer and another guy to primarily play keys I think.

I remember a while ago they announced that they'd start touring as just Rob and Zack to show what the songs are like when they're writing them. I'm not sure if that meant that every show from then on would just be the two of them or what. I guess you'll find out.

There's lots of live footage of them on YouTube both as their full live lineup and as the Rob and Zack show.

Zack plays bass and it seems like Rob usually plays guitar live but he might play keys too. They used a few different session drummers for recording and if they're playing as their live band they have a drummer and another guy to primarily play keys I think.

I remember a while ago they announced that they'd start touring as just Rob and Zack to show what the songs are like when they're writing them. I'm not sure if that meant that every show from then on would just be the two of them or what. I guess you'll find out.

There's lots of live footage of them on YouTube both as their full live lineup and as the Rob and Zack show.

I was just wondering because I watched a music video and it was them just messing around with guitar and bass, and I was just wondering how they got drums done

I love their drums.

Their music is usually so mellow and then they have these fat beats. I love that combo.

A lot of the music I write is either mellow guitars and heavy drums or mellow drums and heavy guitar or heavy everything and really mellow vocals

I wrote a love song/ballad about suicide, its weird. Its the most melodic thing I wrote and the lyrics are about suicide. My drummer came up with the suicide lyrics

That's funny that you say that because I have a very specific feeling attatched to their music and that's pretty much exactly what it is. It makes me think of riding in the car with my friend cruisin around on the freeway at night or on pch at night. I don't know why..

It also makes me think of driving down this windy part of Sunset blvd past all the clubs and everything kindof near the Getty Center. Again I have no idea why. That's just what I think about when I listen to them.

Archived