Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339 Reviews?

Murph

Seems to be a few owners in here.

How do they REALLY compare, tonally, to the larger and thicker ES 335? Gibson says in a blind test they are the same.

Are they so light as to be neck heavy?

Any other pro/cons?

That's my only fear of a 335 is the huge size, I'm a gigger and 4 hours a night for 40/50 weekends a year is different than a few minutes in a music store, ya know.

Thanks in advance.

Murph.

The 339 is a great guitar... The size is very comfortable and the sound is great. It sings the blues and rocks out with the best of them. The 57 classic pick ups along with the semi hollow body give this guitar a versatility not found in any other guitar... I have the 30/60 neck which I find very comfortable. It has a slight flat spot on the back of the neck that's nice to rest your thumb on but at the same time makes it easy to wrap your hand around the whole neck. It's also a pleasure to play un plugged if you want to practice without bothering anyone else who might be around you.

just my 2 cents...

OK, something wierd. I played a "1950's neck" ES339 at Guitar Center and it seemed thinner than the 30/60 neck on the 339 I have at home. Maybe "thinner" isn't the right word, it's simply that the profile feels different without as much beef in the shoulders. Also their version of the 50's neck seems to get flatter towards the body wheras mine stays rounded. My imagination probably, but there are definitely differences in the neck profiles between Gibson USA, Gibson Custom Nashville, and these babies from Gibson Custom Memphis. Maybe I should check with Gibson about mine since it was the retailers paperwork that identified the neck profile, not the model number or the warranty card. Not an issue so much, just play it before you buy it if you can and if you like the neck then you're good.

Anyway, the 339 is not neck heavy at all; it balances nicely. Definitely lighter than a 335. I'm not sure how it would stand up in a blind taste test - compared to my Epiphone Dot (335-ish, with new wiring and Gibson pickups) the 339 perhaps does not have as much of that hollow acoustic snap to the attack, but there's definitely more character or flavor in the 339 sound when compared to the simple punch of a solidbody. Probably the worst thing you could say about the 339 is that it's somewhere between the sound of a 335 and a Les Paul; if that were true it's still a very nice place to be. I think it's much closer to a 335 even if it isn't exact.

I did have a sticky neck issue but the fretwork was perfect. If I recall correctly, Guitarsale wrote "7.4 lbs" on the box but I haven't weighed the guitar to verify this. Specs from one of the online retailers said 7.6 lbs.

How do they REALLY compare' date=' tonally, to the larger and thicker ES 335? Gibson says in a blind test they are the same.[/quote']

I've been reluctant to chime in here because I can't really compare it side by side to a 335, since I haven't owned one in 20 years. I didn't want to be like all the 335 owners giving their opinions on the 339 when they haven't bothered to play one. A lot of them seem to think of it as a "335 Junior" that's simply a substitute for those of us who can't afford the "real thing". To be fair, that's a small minority of 335 owners, but I have seen those comments on several forums.

All that being said, I absolutely love mine. I own a "few" Gibsons and I used to take a Les Paul, a P90 equipped SG and maybe something for slide to rehearsal. Same for gigs, but with a 2nd LP as a back-up. When I got the 339, I would bring it to use on songs where I needed a clean sound for some or all of the song. Eventually, I started to notice that it sounded so nice on pretty much everything that now it's the only guitar I bring to rehearsal. I've even changed the way I use it at gigs. I still bring 4 Gibsons, but I sometimes have to force myself to put it down and use one of the others.

I don't feel the need to "upgrade" to a 335.

Thanks Junkie.

I can afford anything I want. My problem with the ES-335 is its size. I don't like the way it looks standing with a strap, and I gig almost every weekend and move a lot and it's a big freakin' guitar. I love the way it sounds and plays.

If I don't like the ES-339 I just ordered, I will sell it and get a 335.

Murph.

I have both. The 339 does sound VERY similar to my mid 2000's (year, not price) 335 with '57 Classics. The difference seems to be that the 339 has slightly less sustain and more attack. If you like a 335 sound, but dislike the size, you should be pleased.

Red 333

Murph:

Congratulations on your 339 order! I made a point to get out this weekend and to play a couple. I thought the ones I played (clean through a Twin) sounded great and were just fine on the feel. I think you'll be happy!

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'm very pumped. The last new guitar I bought was my 03 J-45RW. As for electrics, a 96 American Strat, and a 79 SG bought nos in 93. Everything else was used. I played my 72 Les Paul Recording for 14 years. I've been gigging a 91 American Tele for the last few years. Great guitar, I'm just ready for some humbuckers.

I tend to gig one single guitar for years. I'm not one to switch out much, although I did back when DOUBLE AUGHT was gigging.

I'm hoping this is "the one" for many years to come.

Thanks to all, you are a great bunch.

Murph.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems to be a few owners in here.

How do they REALLY compare' date=' tonally, to the larger and thicker ES 335? Gibson says in a blind test they are the same.

Are they so light as to be neck heavy?

Any other pro/cons?

That's my only fear of a 335 is the huge size, I'm a gigger and 4 hours a night for 40/50 weekends a year is different than a few minutes in a music store, ya know.

Thanks in advance.

Murph.

[/quote']

Hi Murph

Been a while since I posted in these forums but to answer your question regarding size the 339 is quite a bit smaller than a 335. Mine is in a SKB 35 case (for the 335 style guitars) and it swims in it so I have made up some padding to keep it snug. :D

This worked fine when I brought it back from Nashville , although I was on tenderhooks as the check-in clerk in Nashville insisted that I had to check it in with my hold baggage as I was making an international flight ( I live in Aberdeen, Scotland). Sounds wise I am not sure I am really qualified to offer a comparison as I have the Epiphone ES335 dot but to me it sounds a much better guitar tonally and its great that the sound doesn't roll off when turning down a volume pot like the 335 does. But thats probably the better electrics in the 339.

For interest I have the Antique Vintage Sunburst and it is a beautiful looking guitar, its not the figured top although in certain kinds of light you would think it was.

It was ordered through Guitar Centre in Atlantic City for delivery to Nashville and I had to wait 4 months to get my hands on it but it was worth the wait. It plays beautifully but that may be because I had a free set up done by one of the Luthiers at Gruhns Guitars in Nashville. It has the 30/60 neck and its a very comfortable neck to play. When I was in Nashville I went into the Gibson store to compare the two and found that the 50's neck felt bigger and a bit like a tree to me compared to the 30/60 but that may just have been me. It certainly doesn't feel neck heavy to me.

Only complaint I had was that a tuner snapped while tuning but the guys in the Gibson store replaced it free of charge.

I am sure you will be very happy with your new 339 and it will very quickly become your main axe. I have included a pic of the 339 and 335 to show the size difference apologies for the background clutter but it was taken in my home studio.

Regards

Adele

339 and 335_small.jpg

So, Hi guys . I 'm relativley new here. I have been shopping for a Les Paul for a while. I have a Martin HD 28 a Taylor GS 7 . The Epi Phone Les Paul and the Tokai's (Les Paul - Love Rock and ES 335 Copy - I believe these are Korean made) they were not cutting it compared to the quality of my acoustic guitarss. But.. the Les Paul do cost allot, and

I do like the Hollow body. So, I orderd one from my local Gibson dealer. He called Gibson while I was in the store. Some nightmare stories about GC 339's . Poor set ups, etc. Then again , some good ones. All in all I'm pretty excited. This may be the gtr for a while with the Epi and the Love Rock as back ups. Custom Shop Gibson, I trust will arrive direct from Memphis in excellent shape to my dealer then into my hands. Any comments are welcome.

W

Interesting. Whoobla, was this a specially qualified 'custom' dealer or a regular authorized Gibson dealer? The press releases on the 339 said it would only be sold through GC and their online affiliates so I'm surprised to see it could be ordered through other outlets.

SO i got my 339 . Here's my thoughts so far: Body looks great , no damage etc. The neck has a bit too much bow for me , but I letit settle in, did the full rehearsal. Seems good now. The strings suck. I put my fav's on right away .

Neck dimensions are similar to my Taylor GS 7 . That's a good thing. My Tokai copy is very close to this. Pickups kick butt. Wiring set up....uh roll off is weird. I usually install my own cts pots, but these do roll off quick. After 6.5 - 7 it's silence. Quicker response with very little room. May change down the road, not yet though. Tone is killer. I play a Twin and this guitar works very well with the twin, and my OCD overdrive, and /or Keeley Blues driver. It seems my delay and modulations are sounding better too. I did lower the actiona bit,maybe too much . we'll see. Neck is kinda sticky. Would love toshave it, but.....new gibby I don't know. Other than the volume roll off, and that is really just getting used to, this gtr is very nice. Bought through a Gibson autorized dealer. Case is okay, not like the Taylor / Martin case I have .

Any comments welcome

Interesting. Whoobla' date=' was this a specially qualified 'custom' dealer or a regular authorized Gibson dealer? The press releases on the 339 said it would only be sold through GC and their online affiliates so I'm surprised to see it could be ordered through other outlets.[/quote']

The "GC/MF exclusive" deal only applies to the US. In Canada, you can get them at any Gibson dealer.

anybody have any experience with their gtrs climatizing. Mine is a bit buzzy up on the 12th and higher. I at about 2.5 mm under the Big E string at the 12th fret. I can say I hear it withthe gtr plugged in. Just asking. I suppose I'm expecting allot. Nothing dead or real flat. The dealer said give it a month.

My phone's been out for 13 days, no internet. Anyhow, mine has done 3 gigs, #4 is tonight. It's an incredible guitar. Tone/sustain for days, perfect size, zero flaws, Mine's the 30/60 Antique Burst. It's an '07 from Musicians Friend. The seal was broken, and there was a note saying they checked it out. Ba$tard$. It was perfect with the exeption of a minor intonation adjustment on the G string. I'll figure out pictures soon. Not sure about that bridge yet. The little wire needed moved once due to a rattle. It may never do it again, I don't know. But if it does.........

This guitar is an instant classic.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Thanks Junkie, Bobv, Adele, Groper, Red, and Dave. You guys were SO right.

Gig #4 was last night and this thing rules with a non master volume amp like my Mesa Blue Angel. Crank the tubes, pull back the guitar volume, and you are ready to kill bear anytime the need comes up with a simple twist of the volume knob. Sustain, with my Boogie on it's road case behind me and a tube screamer, is mind blowing.

I'm thinking about trading the Tele in to help finance my daughters Birthday present, because I swear, I don't think I'm ever gonna play it again anyhow..........

Murph.

Lowest action I've ever had on any guitar. It's so low I have to go beyond fractions and use estimated decimals. Using a machinist's ruler the high E is well below the 3/64ths inch mark, so maybe 2.7/64? Low E is just a healthy 3/64 with the line showing (measured open at the 12th fret). Relief is kept to just barely .007" measuring with a straghtedge and feeler gauges. Tailpiece is not cranked down to the top. G saddle is all the way back towards the tailpiece but luckily I don't need any more travel for intonation. I don't really play with a heavy touch but there's no buzzing, and no fretting out on bent notes - even the showoff two full-step bend from the second string at the 11th fret.

By the way it's an American guitar so we're entitled to ignore the metric measurements.

I play with a high action, and very aggresive at times. I also don't like the tailpiece all the way down to the body. No buzzing, and plenty of room for intonation, but I'm still wondering about that Nashville bridge. I'm not sure I like the little wire.

Options?

Murph.

The ES-339 has an older style "ABR-1" Tune-o-matic bridge with the relatively loose saddles and the wire. Great when they work, but once they start to become a headache, woof. Saddles rattle, the wire either holds them or doesn't, and they don't have quite enough travel for sufficient compensation for some guitars to intonate properly. Couple that with the relatively thin machine screws that it sits on; they've been known to lean forward after a few years especially if the owner felt compelled to crank the tailpiece tight to the top. The solution was a redesign to make what we've come to know as the "Nashville" tune-o-matic bridge (whether it was coincident with the Kalamazoo to Nashville move I'm not sure, but not long after anyway). SO the Nashville has saddles that are each held tight with a little retainer clip, accessed from underneath, and no wire. The Nashvilles are wider so they have more intonation range. They also have thumbwheels that are integral with heavier threaded posts which sit in threaded inserts rather than just a headless machine screw threaded into the wood. They started mounting the Nashville bridges with the screws facing the tailpiece, rather than the old ABR's with the screws facing the neck (so if you're looking at pictures and it's hard to tell, that's one clue to look for assuming nobody flipped it around by accident). The spacing center to center for the two types of bridge are different, so they're not interchangeable.

Now, all those changes in the name of improvement. Whaddayathink was going to happen? Reactionaries noticed that things like this can change the tone, so they went back to the ABR-1 bridge. Notice the Les Paul Standards have a Nashville bridge, but the Historics have an ABR-1?

Legend has it that vintage ABR-1's had tighter tolerances and the saddles didn't want to come out as easily. Pigtail makes bridges that are made to such tolerances that they can be the same way.

Tone Pros makes their answer to the ABR-1 vintage style tune-0-matic (I think they call it the AVR) which kind of looks more like an ABR-1 so you wouldn't notice that it's been swapped out, yet if you measure it you notice it's wider so the saddles have more intonation travel. Fits on regular ABR-1 studs like we have on the ES-339. Saddles are held in place; the wire is just cosmetic. Also has the Tone Pros feature of set screws holding the bridge so nothing moves when you re-string. I have a Tone Pros bridge on my Epiphone Dot and it was just the ticket. Of course they say it improves sustain by locking in place better, so don't you think that's an effect on the tone even though it looks like an ABR-1? Oh no here we go again.

If your saddles rattle and the trick with pressing the wire with a little screwdriver to bend it in between screws doesn't work, or if you need more intonation travel and flipping the saddle around doesn't work (even after replacing the saddle in order to get the notch offset just right), then the absolute solution to your problem is to replace the ABR-1 with a Tone Pros bridge. That is, if you have a problem to begin with.

Thanks a TON Bob! Sheeze, you're great. I thought I'd read my 339 had a Nashville.

It only rattled once, but I've only had it a month. I just moved the wire towards the tailpiece and it quit, but would rather have a good design than freakin' "period correct" crap. I'm a bar gigger for Petes sake. My 72 Les Paul, nor my 79 SG have that little wire, I'd never seen one before.

I'll look at the Tone Pros stuff if it becomes a problem. I have zero problem improving a guitar. It's not for sale, nor will it be as long as I'm sucking air.

Thanks.

Murph.

Archived