Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker sized P90

EVOL!

Valensi is a great player, he sounds great. The Strokes have a new album coming out soon, a single is available for download through their website if you join the newsletter list

Yeah, my drummer mentioned the new Strokes record last night. I'll need to check it out.

Valensi's tone is so organic with those sweet highs I love in a guitar sound.

By the way this is the pickup I've been looking at for the bridge position on my SG.

http://tvjones.com/pickups/tvclassic.html

I would get it with the English mount on a Gibson ring.

I like your style, brother. Filtertron pickups make some sweet tones. I like that the originals were lower output. Sorry, not a fan of hot pickups. My over drive and fuzz boxes do a fine job of driving my amp.

Yeah I just dig that filtertron bridge pickup sound. It's perfectly flawed. You know that thing rocks with fuzz.

My SG's pickups are pretty tame by today's standards but I want a thinner, twangier sound out of the bridge. I'm really happy with the neck pickup for non-fuzzy stuff.

You know Fred I'm not gonna lie I got the idea from you. I mean I've always liked filtertrons but I never really thought of putting one in my SG. But the more I think about it the more I like the idea.

Too bad I'm broke right now.

Yeah I just dig that filtertron bridge pickup sound. It's perfectly flawed. You know that thing rocks with fuzz.

My SG's pickups are pretty tame by today's standards but I want a thinner, twangier sound out of the bridge. I'm really happy with the neck pickup for non-fuzzy stuff.

You know Fred I'm not gonna lie I got the idea from you. I mean I've always liked filtertrons but I never really thought of putting one in my SG. But the more I think about it the more I like the idea.

Too bad I'm broke right now.

Join the club of being broke but I'm glad I could influence you :)

Those sound gnarly and will help ease my GAS for the Gretsch

I did it.

All of the pickguard screws were rusted like this. My sweat is nasty.

l_b38a23e4c2fa451596e732205e469efa.jpg

Before

l_332b023ba34f442cb1b1699a15269179.jpg

Inside. Pretty clean, eh?

l_4ff48c423f7e47608ba8ad2c6d1e9181.jpg

Back when they soldered.

l_2d981b8d0c51476087f427ed323038c4.jpg

Mounted. Just need to restring.

l_44159f753e944858aa502edc4b772975.jpg

Ta-da!

l_c8cb9db5518b42dda4d323b41be4f899.jpg

More sexxee.

l_66b10331d16040a38d8e1aff96aa1b9f.jpg

I feel sorry for you guys with acid sweat, It seems like all of my sweat basically has the Ph level of water.

It's insane for me. For a small guy (Fuzzy Fred can confirm) I sweat like a heroin addict in detox on stage. And the three years of service my SG put in with my last band, she spent a lot of nights on stage getting waterlogged by my olive oil and lanolin sweat. Thus the reason those screws are in the shape they are. Had to bust out the WD40 for the one under the bridge because the rust was so crusty.

Feeling nauseous yet?

It's insane for me. For a small guy (Fuzzy Fred can confirm) I sweat like a heroin addict in detox on stage. And the three years of service my SG put in with my last band, she spent a lot of nights on stage getting waterlogged by my olive oil and lanolin sweat. Thus the reason those screws are in the shape they are. Had to bust out the WD40 for the one under the bridge because the rust was so crusty.

Feeling nauseous yet?

He's like 3'4" and 58 pounds, really small guy and that's before he sweats! After, he gets cut down quite a bit [laugh]

That was fast. It looks pretty sweet.

Thanks.

You have to strike while the iron is hot. I found my P-94R for $95 plus tax. Musicians Friend had them for $136 and everyone else was out of stock.

So how are you liking it? Have you had a chance to play it loud and with your Fuzz Factory?

So far I like it a lot. Have only tried it at home with my Fender Deluxe Reverb RI at bedroom volume and the tones remind me a little of the neck pickup on a Jazzmaster. Cannot wait to try it through my main amp with the Fuzz Factory. It does put out more volume than my 57+ so I'll have to find a balance between pickup height (for those sweet highs) and volume knob level.

If you switch to Stainless Steel hardware screws you would have rust issues.

I need to look into this. Those screws are crusty and if I wasn't so hungry to hear the new pickup I would have waited to screw down the pickguard.

[flapper]

nah, he's a normal sized person in real life. Skinny as hell though, you need to bulk up man! <_<

And is it a hot pickup? since you have to play around with it?

It seems to be P-90 hot so not overpowering. I'll know more once I get up at the space and run her through a louder amp.

Archived