Gibson Brands Forums

Studio Monitor Advice

duane v

I will be setting up my home mixing and listening room and I am going this route based on several message board posts I read. The idea is that you will have to spend $$$$ to get decent active monitors so why not save some cash and go with a flatter EQ for better mixing.

- Buy a basic reference amplifier.

- Get some nice bookshelf speakers. Right now I am looking at Monitor Audio Bronze series and Epos. We'll see what my end budget will support.

Not saying this is the best way to go. This is what made the most sense for me because I will also be listening to vinyl records through this setup and I do not want to color the sounds with big, fancy receiver.

KRKs are super. They don't color the mix, at all-- but they don't come super cheap either. Sony makes a $100 headphone (I don't recall the model # but across the top of the headband it says "STUDIO MONITORS" in caps) and they also don't color the mix & would let you get down with mixing & mastering for cheap as hell.

KRKs are super. They don't color the mix, at all-- but they don't come super cheap either. Sony makes a $100 headphone (I don't recall the model # but across the top of the headband it says "STUDIO MONITORS" in caps) and they also don't color the mix & would let you get down with mixing & mastering for cheap as hell.

Mixing with headphones is not recommended. Headphones will not correctly represent space and how things sound across the stereo spectrum (left & right).

Genelec monitors are the best near-field monitors money can buy: http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/

(They are also some of the most expensive.)

If Genelec are too spendy for you, Tannoy makes excellent near-field monitors in active (Precision) and passive (Reveal) models:

http://www.tannoy.com/studiosummary.aspx

The subs are nice too.

Archived