Gibson Brands Forums

buttheads

EvoRider

Gibson manufactures certain runs of guitars especially for particular distributors or retailers.

GUITAR CENTER advertises them every time they do it, as being available nowhere else.

As soon as the rush fades, then Gibson will sometimes release it to other dealers.

I have a SG61 Reissue with a Maestro trem - one of only 48 made in 2006.

It was a special run, my dealer (NOT GUITAR CENTER) got four of them.

You're drinking the Kool-Aid, doing exactly what GUITAR CENTER wants you to do.

+:-@[blink]#-o

I sell guns - I don't offer payment plans, don't even ACCEPT credit cards.

Cash only.

My own policy, my kids abide by it, and I tell everybody here;

If you MUST use credit to buy it, you can't afford it.

Can't afford it? Then look at what you're doing.

Maybe a guitar isn't a very smart financial move for you.

Using credit to buy a toy?

Hmmmm..... [-(

It's not like you're using credit to put a transmission in your car so you don't get fired from your job.

I don't know what other options you have - where do you live?

You can't drive a ways to a good reputable Gibson dealer in your area?

There's always mail order.

I've had pretty good luck on Ebay over the last 8 years.

Sounds to me like you don't want to pay for a Gibson - then don't. [thumbup]

Seriously, it's not for everybody.

I could buy a $10,000 Rolex watch, but my Timex does everything I want for $100.

I'm a tightass with my money in a LOT of areas, so I can pay cash for GOOD guitars that work - and hold their value.

If you can't tell the difference, then don't pay the difference.

But there IS a difference.

My not-so-humble opinion;

The only difference between most Epiphones and all the fakes and counterfeits?

Gibson makes a few bucks on them instead of some crooks - that's it.

The product quality of the immitations (compared to a real deal Gibson) is often about the same.

That, and I'll be damned if I send one more penny to China than I absolutely have to.

There's my $.02 on the matter.

Get all the opinions you can, learn everything possible, and make the right decision for yourself.

Good luck! [thumbup]

I dont want a special run. I like the standard TB vintage sunburst...

GUITAR CENTER OFFERED ME 12 MONTHS FREE FINANCING WITH THERE CARD. SO I BOUGHT A EPIP TB AND FOUND OUT THERE ARE JUNK...... My question is the Gibson TB vintage sunburst ON GC is it the same as u would buy from a dealer Not because i cant afford it but because They offered me 12 months free financing... If dealers offered this they would not have needed a guitar center. and i would have bought from a dealer..

TN troy,

It seems you're getting some 'stick' here. I'm fully on your side.

When you bought it you never expected the studs to come loose so you moved the button.

The strap button is in the wrong place. Surely you can just fix the stud holes with resin or similar,

I'd take it to a luthier and either fix the strap button hole and take it back or have them fix the studs properly.

How old are you by the way? Don't be put off by the negativity you've had here.

Take it as a lesson and move on.

TN troy,

It seems you're getting some 'stick' here. I'm fully on your side.

When you bought it you never expected the studs to come loose so you moved the button.

The strap button is in the wrong place. Surely you can just fix the stud holes with resin or similar,

I'd take it to a luthier and either fix the strap button hole and take it back or have them fix the studs properly.

How old are you by the way? Don't be put off by the negativity you've had here.

Take it as a lesson and move on.

Thanks I am glad to see somebody with a little compassion for others. And i am 35 years old About 15 years ago i played in a band and had to give it up because of family responsibility. my girl friend was pregnate with my daughter and my band mates was trying out drugs. So i quit the band and friends, but did mess around with a bass at times. Back then i would droul at the site of a gibson thunderbird but the price scared me away. So when i saw the epiphone i had to have one. I still love the sound and style of the guitar and did not want out like others on the forum though i just wanted the studs fixed by a professional gibson dealer. So i did I repaired it myself with some two part epoxy. I am not really happy about the glue idea because if i do happen to start giging again can i trust the glue. But i want to know is the Gibson Thunderbird Vintage sunburst is it the same guitar at Guitar Center as at the gibson dealers.

I wouldn't know as I'm in the UK. A good luthier would fix the studs for you. Get a price to fix the studs and anothebto fill the holevyou drilled. Go with the cheaper. If the hole is cheaper. You can take it back to the dealer then and demand a new guitar. I put on an earlier post about the bridge. Is it higher at the front screw? It should be. The angle stops the studs pulling.

Good one TN Troy,

It shouldn't matter what you pay for a guitar. It should be of merchantable quality.

That is what i was thinking, but that is not the case nowdays... It is about putting the money in the richmans pocket, and to hell with the quality and reputation of the brand... I am a mechanic for a husqvarna dealer and the same thing is happening to there products... It really pisses me off i still belive in doing something right if i screw up something for a customer i have to fix the mistake why cant gibson or epiphone or any company for that matter do the same!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok i am through venting now lol i can go play it now....

So i did I repaired it myself with some two part epoxy. I am not really happy about the glue idea because if i do happen to start giging again can i trust the glue.

I've gigged with my Hamer, it's been a trustworthy tour and studio machine ever since.

I am to assume you being a mechanic you keep some J.B. Weld around

Best stuff ever.

I am to assume you being a mechanic you keep some J.B. Weld around

Best stuff ever.

No i dont really care for the stuff. it is ok for some stuff but not all. The gorilla epoxy is working out great. have not had a problem yet...

lets be clear here what the issue is: when a warrenty is offered for defects in workmanship or materiels, that is exactly what it is. if the neck had snapped at the place you modified it, we aren't even there, so nm.

last i checked, the law was what stated what a warrenty was and what it had to. of corse, things could be different now. what i have seen a lot of more and more is large corperations having policies and actions that are in clear violation, and knowing they do it. the law and what is right or wrong may not be the same. but it is telling of things that the law can be so easily ignored. there are poeple at the top making these policies and decisions, and in turn employees that have to carry them out. somewhere between here and there, someone has to look you in the eye and refuse to do what is right, or do what is wrong. beyond the law, i think we as a country has forgotton what it means to do business. i don't mean making a buck, i mean doing business.

this comes to mind, i once had a little fun with this kid i bought an office chair from. he said it was warrentied against anything, if i gat a scratch that was my fault, he said the manufacturer would replace it. i said "the manufacturer? what about you? what if it breaks, who do i deal with?" "the manufacturer, they are really cool" then i said, "i don't know the manufacterer, never met. i believe you. yoiu stand behind this chair?" "sure i do" "well, i'm paying you, i'm not dealing with them, i am dealing with you. i'm not paying them, i'm paying you," anyways, you see where this is going, it was a good feeling seeing the light bulb come on with him and he was proud to stand up and do business like a man.

sometimes, when getting someone to stand up the way you think they should, it help to stand up yourself. that means that if the problem is your fault, or the problem they have is caused by you, you tell them in no uncertain terms you will gladly hold yourself accountable. gets you standing on equal ground, see. and you ask them, "do you stand behind this product? do you sell stuff you yourself would not back? do you think gibson should back it? if you do not have a conciounce to do what you think is right by standing behind what you sell, then who should i be paying? i'll gladly pay you for my business if you want my business"

i'm rambling to make this point-that if you give poeple a chance to do the right thing and back them up, you might be surprised at how many are willing. almost as many as are willing to do what is wrong. perhaps the only satisfaction you need is for the person(s) you paid to look you in the eye and say "yes, i am a butthead" or "yes, i will do what i think is right". then it's just a matter of a little glue and off we go. but at least you aren't a butthead.

Archived