Gibson Brands Forums

buttheads

EvoRider

I bought a Epiphone thunderbird bass at guitar center in chattanooga tn less that a mounth ago. 1/15/11 (i know it is not a gibson but please read on) The only problem i had was the strap button was comming loose so i retighten it. No problem But the neck dive was unbareable. I read on the net to fix the problem i needed to relocate the button to the back of the neck plate. So i did and it did correct the problem. But i notice the bridge studs was coming out of the body. so i tapped it back in. no problem. retuned it and played it for a while and happen to notice the studs are out again. so i loosen the strings again and tapped the studs mount back flush to the body. Went to retune it and heard a pop and looked down to find the stud mount about a 1/4 inch out again. Called Guitar center they told me they could do nothing about it. because i changed the location of the strap button( REALLY PISSED ME OFF!) so i called gibson they said they could do something about it but i would have to take it to nashville to do so. and as soon as i told them about relocating the strap button. The guy told me in a nice way it was my problem. I know it is not an expensive guitar but i did work for the money that bought it. What i did had nothing to do with the problem with the bridge. so now i am stuck with a peice of s!@t guitar that i love the sound of but will be afraid to gig with because if it comes apart what will i do? I have always loved gibson guitars but i can not afford one and as soon as i seen the epip thunderbird goth i was in love. Because i hate the look of the standard fender style bodies... Any ideas on what i should do?

Lemme see...

You chose a cheap piece that had a problem that you immediately recognized.

Then you drilled a hole into it.

Then you noticed another problem, and now you want out of your choice.

If all you want is the bridge to be fixed, go hire a luthier to fix it.

Put the whole thing into your bag of experience and don't go down that road again.

Thats the thing, man. ALWAYS wait 1 year before performing any modifications to a new instrument that is under warranty. Generally speaking, If there is a problem with a new instrument, it will rear its ugly head during the first year of play. Just look on the bright side and consider this a lesson better learned on a less expensive instrument, than on a bass you spend $1500 on a few years down the road.

Lemme see...

You chose a cheap piece that had a problem that you immediately recognized.

Then you drilled a hole into it.

Then you noticed another problem, and now you want out of your choice.

If all you want is the bridge to be fixed, go hire a luthier to fix it.

Put the whole thing into your bag of experience and don't go down that road again.

No I dont want out. I like the guitar. the problem with the bridge i dont like. And if i had the money to spend i would have bought a gibson thunderbird. But i have a family to take care of first! What i want comes next. and i would like to have a reliable guitar. This is BS what i done has nothing to do with the problem with the bridge. the fact is Epiphone, gibson, Guitar center wont back there product. It is just a loop hole now so that they wont have to do anything about it.

No I dont want out. I like the guitar. the problem with the bridge i dont like. And if i had the money to spend i would have bought a gibson thunderbird. But i have a family to take care of first! What i want comes next. and i would like to have a reliable guitar. This is BS what i done has nothing to do with the problem with the bridge. the fact is Epiphone, gibson, Guitar center wont back there product. It is just a loop hole now so that they wont have to do anything about it.

Like as not, they probably would not have fixed your guitar - they would probably have sent you a new one. The old one would probably have been offered up as a scratch-and-dent or a 2d - but as you altered it, it couldn't be done that way.

I can see your point, though - it would seem that you moving the strap button neither caused the bridge problem, nor would stop it from being fixed.

I just think that they weren't going to fix it in the first place.

Live and learn.

it shouldn't affect warranty but it does you modded the guitar it in a way that is visible and not reversible, the issue as other have said is they (GC) doesn't repair Epiphone guitars they swap your guitar out and then sell your problem to somebody else as a demo or something with no warranty and move on.

The good part is you still like the guitar so get it fixed or fix it yourself and forget about what you think should have been done. If your looking for GC to do the right thing your a good ten years to late the boat sailed years ago now they are a big box retail store nothing else.

Go back to GC with your mean face on, ask for the manager, and rant until they do something...seriously.. [angry]

Put the strap button back where is was...don't mention it...they are so dumb they probably wont notice...Faulty goods are faulty goods...and the fault as you say,is with an unmodified part of the guitar that is still under warrantee..

I bet if you make enough noise they will be able to fix it....store managers don't like people standing in the store bad mouthing their products or service...

This has worked for me in the past, not with Guitars, but with other goods that were "not returnable for Health and Safety reasons"...worth a go, and you have nothing to loose but your anger... :angry:

Good luck.

I can see your point, though - it would seem that you moving the strap button neither caused the bridge problem, nor would stop it from being fixed.

I just think that they weren't going to fix it in the first place.

Live and learn.

That is all i wanted to begin with. I love the sound and style of this guitar. I am going to try to repair it myself and see what happens. Mabey i will just save my money and buy a real Thunderbird next year. But what scares me is the gibson thunderbirds i seen on GC site showes the same 3 stud bridge. do they have the same problem? or is this just a freak thing? I probely would not even noticed it untill i starded replacing the strings. Has anybody else had this problem with a gibson or epip? I mean i also have a epiphone special II and it works great and i really like the guitar that is the reason i started looking at epiphone for a bass in the first place.

Can't you just glue the studs back in? Take it to a luthier. It's a 5 min job. Take the strings etc off before you take it to save time. You'll look back at this in years to come as a good lesson.

That's why they say 'wisdom comes with age'. It's true. Us old uns have been there, seen it, done it. If in doubt. 'consult the old uns on the forum'. Without doubt you'll get the right answer here.

for future reference........a wide suede strap will cure "neck dive" w/o altering your instrument.

a little baggy of lead shot, or fishing weights solved an epi SG's neck dive. Put it in the control cavity, there was plenty of room and it was a very crude/cheap fix. got the idea when i knocked my tackle box over and made a mess.

maybe this'll help in the future?

GUITAR CENTER?

Nice Peter says it ALL for me - > > > > www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=qDF_8-21SUQ

I have 20 years of stories about those clowns.

You ain't seen nothing yet...

I know it doesn't sound supportive, but there's really only so much you can expect for a low-end guitar.

There's not enough profit in them for GUITAR CENTER or Gibson to spend much time with your issues...

Think of the money and brain cells you've wasted as tuition.

You're a better man for it - wiser and more skeptical.

Find a GOOD luthier willing to help you out.

Mod it however you want to suit you.

Don't worry about resale value - there isn't any on most Epiphones.

Save up, get a Gibson from an INDEPENDENT DEALER, and demand more for your money.

Good luck. [thumbup]

GUITAR CENTER?

Nice Peter says it ALL for me - > > > > www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=qDF_8-21SUQ

I have 20 years of stories about those clowns.

You ain't seen nothing yet...

I know it doesn't sound supportive, but there's really only so much you can expect for a low-end guitar.

There's not enough profit in them for GUITAR CENTER or Gibson to spend much time with your issues...

Think of the money and brain cells you've wasted as tuition.

You're a better man for it - wiser and more skeptical.

Find a GOOD luthier willing to help you out.

Mod it however you want to suit you.

Don't worry about resale value - there isn't any on most Epiphones.

Save up, get a Gibson from an INDEPENDENT DEALER, and demand more for your money.

Good luck. [thumbup]

Is the Gibson Thunderbird built any better? They do have the same 3 stud bridge. And i am trying the two part gorilla epoxy. But i will always worry about it. Another question Does guitar center sell the same gibson guitars that the independent dealers sale?

The thing is, once you start messing around with your guitar, you're on your own.

When you tried to "fix" the bridge, you violated the terms of your warranty. And when you repositioned the strap button to a place where its not designed to be you also violated the terms of the warranty. Its not a loophole, its a policy designed to prevent people who don't know what they're doing from messing up their instruments and then expecting somebody else to fix the damage.

I like to mess with stuff too. Once in awhile I pay the price for it. That's o.k. If you fix it yourself, you'll solve the problem and learn something about working on guitars. Good luck.

Is the Gibson Thunderbird built any better?

In every conceivable way.

I have to be careful how to word this here, but there IS a difference.

Another question Does guitar center sell the same gibson guitars that the independent dealers sale?

GC gets some exclusives.

Don't buy them.

Take it back to GC and see what they say, just be professional about it. There's no reason to go in there and act like 5 year old that had thier candy taken from them. I'm sure they'll want your future business, and would be happy to deal with your issue, as long as you the customer is easy to deal with.

If that fails then take the guitar to a Luthier, it's an easy fix.

In my experience GC has been great to deal with... I've been purchasing guitars from them since 1981, and every experience has been positive.

The thing is, once you start messing around with your guitar, you're on your own.

When you tried to "fix" the bridge, you violated the terms of your warranty. And when you repositioned the strap button to a place where its not designed to be you also violated the terms of the warranty. Its not a loophole, its a policy designed to prevent people who don't know what they're doing from messing up their instruments and then expecting somebody else to fix the damage.

I like to mess with stuff too. Once in awhile I pay the price for it. That's o.k. If you fix it yourself, you'll solve the problem and learn something about working on guitars. Good luck.

You need to pay a little more att to what you are reading..... I did not do anything to the bridge when i removed the strings i removed the bridge NOT the studs. and after i reinstalled the bridge and reinstalled the strings and after i retuned it and played it for a while i happen to notice the Bridge stud had poped back out i tapped it back in and was retuning it and heard a pop and looked and the other stud had poped out about 1/8 of an inch.... And look i did not judge you so why are u judging me I have been a mechanic ever scince i was about 7 years old Yes i grew up in a repair shop so i kinda know what i am doing.. besides a friend gave me my first guitar and it was a strat copy and i had to rebuild the hole guitar electronics and all and painted it. It is not the matter that i cant repair it it is just they wont touch it after i modded the strap button location.. I did not remove the bridge. it slides on the studs. and if you turn it over it will fall off and the indetation screws will fall out. But anyway I did nothing to the studes they were just poping out of the body.

In every conceivable way.

I have to be careful how to word this here, but there IS a difference.

GC gets some exclusives.

Don't buy them.

What do u mean exclusives?? Most gibson dealers dont offer a payment plan. With GC i now have a credit card... If dealers had that i would love to buy from them. BUT they are not many around anymore. And yes i know it is because of GC but what other options do i have. And i have a epiphone special II and the thing sounds and plays great. That is why i stuck with epiphone. Gibson looks and sound at a epiphone price.. Of course i dont really know what a real TB sounds like i am just thinking that it sounds like an Epiphone TB..

What do u mean exclusives??

Gibson manufactures certain runs of guitars especially for particular distributors or retailers.

GUITAR CENTER advertises them every time they do it, as being available nowhere else.

As soon as the rush fades, then Gibson will sometimes release it to other dealers.

I have a SG61 Reissue with a Maestro trem - one of only 48 made in 2006.

It was a special run, my dealer (NOT GUITAR CENTER) got four of them.

Most gibson dealers dont offer a payment plan. With GC i now have a credit card...

If dealers had that i would love to buy from them.

You're drinking the Kool-Aid, doing exactly what GUITAR CENTER wants you to do.

+:-@[blink]#-o

I sell guns - I don't offer payment plans, don't even ACCEPT credit cards.

Cash only.

My own policy, my kids abide by it, and I tell everybody here;

If you MUST use credit to buy it, you can't afford it.

Can't afford it? Then look at what you're doing.

Maybe a guitar isn't a very smart financial move for you.

Using credit to buy a toy?

Hmmmm..... [-(

It's not like you're using credit to put a transmission in your car so you don't get fired from your job.

BUT they are not many around anymore.

And yes i know it is because of GC but what other options do i have.

I don't know what other options you have - where do you live?

You can't drive a ways to a good reputable Gibson dealer in your area?

There's always mail order.

I've had pretty good luck on Ebay over the last 8 years.

And i have a epiphone special II and the thing sounds and plays great.

That is why i stuck with epiphone.

Gibson looks and sound at a epiphone price..

Sounds to me like you don't want to pay for a Gibson - then don't. [thumbup]

Seriously, it's not for everybody.

I could buy a $10,000 Rolex watch, but my Timex does everything I want for $100.

I'm a tightass with my money in a LOT of areas, so I can pay cash for GOOD guitars that work - and hold their value.

Of course i dont really know what a real TB sounds like i am just thinking that it sounds like an Epiphone TB..

If you can't tell the difference, then don't pay the difference.

But there IS a difference.

My not-so-humble opinion;

The only difference between most Epiphones and all the fakes and counterfeits?

Gibson makes a few bucks on them instead of some crooks - that's it.

The product quality of the immitations (compared to a real deal Gibson) is often about the same.

That, and I'll be damned if I send one more penny to China than I absolutely have to.

There's my $.02 on the matter.

Get all the opinions you can, learn everything possible, and make the right decision for yourself.

Good luck! [thumbup]

The reality of it all. If you decide you don't like the factory radio in your new car and decide to replace it, don't expect to get any warranty work out of the company if something goes wrong.

Relocating the strap button to the back of a guitar neck is done quite often with success.

Either

a. The screw and stud were not up to the task of holding up the bass in that position

b. The pilot hole drilled for the screw was too small.

My suggestion is to abandon the top button and use the time honored method of running a length of latigo or black boot lace around the neck and under the strings. Either just above the nut or between a couple of tuning machines. One could try to fill the hole and re-install the screw, but you run the risk, as always, of splitting the head.

There are purpose built leather straps which wrap around the headstock for tying your strap to. But these are more expensive than a boot lace.

Archived