Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Youngs LP

oneal lane

I am fascinated my the story and facts about Neil Youngs LP. I cannot think of a guitar that is as used and worn as his.

I love guitar stories, every guitar has a story. the better the story, the more the battle scars, the more MOJO. "Old Black" sure had mojo.

old-black.jpg

And this has to do with Epiphones how?

(Sorry to be blunt but this post does seem somewhat pointless)

Cause most of us here are guitar or LP enthusiasts in general and love to hear about stuff like this [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

Welcome to the forum oneal [biggrin]

Yes, I have been reading up on it also, since I bought my EPI LP this past Monday I have been studying up on them. NY has been a favorite of mine for years and I had never really paid a lot of attention to his LP. yes I think he has a firebird pup on the bridge position.

Thanks for the welcome.

I started playing guitar again about 2 years ago after a 25 year departure. I have 4 strats 2 MIA and 2 MIM, and 6 squier strat project guitars.

I sure love them strats, but the LP has always been a desire of mine since the 70's watching Duane and Dicky with their LP's

So my LP learning curve has begun.

• 3 months later...

That's a good looking LP. I wouldn't mind if they reissued it or made a version that was modable.

It that an aluminum scratchplate? What's the little switch between the knobs for on the original?

Big NY fan myself...

the little switch is to coil tap the mini humbucker. And I now realize this is a 4 month old thread.

"I cannot think of a guitar that is as used and worn as his."

Willie's come to mind, perhaps more so...I saw them play together a few years ago, but Neil was on acoustic, so no double shot of trigger and old black

I saw neil a few years ago when he played Glastonbury! Absolutely amazing, completely blew me away. He ended with a cover of the Beatles Day in the Life, old black was 'dropped' back on it's stand and smacked with the mike stand, most of the strings snapped! Legend!

It'd be awesome if epiphone made an 'inspired by' version!

• 2 weeks later...

the little switch is to coil tap the mini humbucker. And I now realize this is a 4 month old thread.

I've read that the switch is a bypass so the signal doesn't go through the tone/volumeknobs on the guitar. So he does all of that on the amp instead…

Archived