Gibson Brands Forums

Rockumentaries

freak show

The only one I can think of, right of the top of my head, is The Who's Amazing Journey. Very well-made film overall. Then bunch of the other ones you guys mentioned, but there's no point in bringing them up again.

I recently DVR'd "Beyond The Lighted Stage", a RUSH documentary. Some amazing early footage and it's great to hear the story in their own words.

My only problem is that I missed about the first 15-20 minutes #-o

+1

It is shown periodically on Palladia and VH1 classics. You gotta catch it all. [thumbup]

I loved Flight 666... even if you're not necessarily a "fan" of Iron Maiden I think you can still appreciate what they were able to do on that tour.

It Might Get Loud was also an excellent movie. Highly recommended [thumbup]

Also, if you're looking for some laughs This Is Spinal Tap is one of my favorite music-related movies too [biggrin]

Also, if you're looking for some laughs This Is Spinal Tap is one of my favorite music-related movies too [biggrin]

Ah yes. The world's first "Rock documentary", or "Rockumentary", if you will!!

"Just listen to that sustain". "This one goes up to 11".

Brilliant.

"Oil City Confidential" is a good film - it is made by Julian Temple (Great Rock n Roll Swindle, The Filth and the Fury, etc) and tells the story of Dr. Feelgood, featuring of course, the excellent guitar playing and oddball genius of Wilko Johnson.

Thanks! Just added those to my Blockbuster queue! Saw The Decline of Western Civilization again last year. Some cool interviews with the members of X in there. Great band that meant a lot to me in college. Still listen regularly.

Let me know what you think of them after you watch them.

I loved Flight 666... even if you're not necessarily a "fan" of Iron Maiden I think you can still appreciate what they were able to do on that tour.

It Might Get Loud was also an excellent movie. Highly recommended [thumbup]

Some of the coolest, most informative "Rockumentaries" I've seen were about bands or artist I didn't care for. I can't stand "The Cult" but their story was pretty darn enlightening.

The Classic Albums series is really cool, too. Doesn't matter which one you see, they're riveting. [thumbup]

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster. Here's a description from IMDB: A documentary crew followed Metallica for the better part of 2001-2003, a time of tension and release for the rock band, as they recorded their album St. Anger, fought bitterly, and sought the counsel of their on-call shrink.

I agree with FirstMeasure about a bands music you don't like, you won't need to like Metallica to like this documentary.

I also agree with Scorsese's Blues series and The Band's farewell concert documentary, The Last Waltz.

Archived