Gibson Brands Forums

Rockumentaries

freak show

The other day an acquaintance of mine gave me a very cool DVD to watch called "The Pink Floyd & Syd Barrett Story". If one is a fan, it's definitely worth seeing. There are some very interesting interviews with the other members of Pink Floyd and some cool old footage. Gilmour even plays a bit of "Wish you were here" on the Martin he used to record the song. Highly recommended!

So what are some other good "Rockumentaries"? I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff worth checking out.

The Unheard Music, a doc about X. I was amazed how talented the musicians were. One scene shows a label exec explaining how they weren't interested in the band because they were focusing on Point Blank, which they were sure were going to be the next Journey.

Hype, about the music scene in Seattle in the late 80s early 90s. The media feeding frenzy that occurred. Locals laughed as MTV was featuring bands that were L.A. transplants that didn't even have an album out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JULpFD8kW2s&feature=related

BBC 4 in the UK has been screening some great stuff recently.

There was 'Bad Reputation' - the Thin Lizzy story. Eye-opening. Scott Gorham's recollections were very interesting to say the least...

'Flight 666' - Iron Maiden's round the world tour playing 23 (?) concerts in 40-odd days. They had their own airliner (the 'Flight 666' of the title) and for which Bruce Dickinson, Lead Vocals, was the pilot! Fantastic docu. I came away with huge respect for the band both as musicians and just great people.

'Man of the World - the Peter Green story' should be in the collection of everyone who loves their music. I just watched it last night, as it happens. Great interviews with Fleetwood, McVie, Jeremy Spencer, John Mayall, Mike Vernon who, as well as producing early F-M stuff was Mayall's producer on the 'Beano'; and, of course, Peter Green himself. Oh. And Santana. Hmmm............

Sometimes it was the small details that were the most revealing. The name of the band was never to have been 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac', for instance....PG was furious when the record company put his name there on the first album.

The Dire Straits docu was called, I think 'Money For Nothing'. Brilliant.

The fairly self-explanatory "Cream".

I've also got a pair of 'The Making Of...' DVD's with 'Dark Side...' and 'Wish You Were Here' as the subject matter. As well as general band info they deal specifically with the actual studio events surrounding those pair of albums.

And, whilst not exactly a Rockumentary, 'Chasing Sound - the Les Paul story' is hard to beat!

P.

There was 'Bad Reputation' - the Thin Lizzy story. Eye-opening. Scott Gorham's recollections were very interesting to say the least...

'Flight 666' - Iron Maiden's round the world tour playing 23 (?) concerts in 40-odd days. They had their own airliner (the 'Flight 666' of the title) and for which Bruce Dickinson, Lead Vocals, was the pilot! Fantastic docu. I came away with huge respect for the band both as musicians and just great people.

'Man of the World - the Peter Green story' should be in the collection of everyone who loves their music. I just watched it last night, as it happens. Great interviews with Fleetwood, McVie, Jeremy Spencer, John Mayall, Mike Vernon who, as well as producing early F-M stuff was Mayall's producer on the 'Beano'; and, of course, Peter Green himself. Oh. And Santana. Hmmm............

Sometimes it was the small details that were the most revealing. The name of the band was never to have been 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac', for instance....PG was furious when the record company put his name there on the first album.

I've also got a pair of 'The Making Of...' DVD's with 'Dark Side...' and 'Wish You Were Here' as the subject matter. As well as general band info they deal specifically with the actual studio events surrounding those pair of albums.

And, whilst not exactly a Rockumentary, 'Chasing Sound - the Les Paul story' is hard to beat!

P.

+1

White Stripes - Under the Great White Northern Sky was a good one....documenting the White Stripes tour of Canada...all of Canada eh!! Even way up in the Territories!

Also if you like Metal at all, i recommend two: Metal-A Headbangers Journey and Global Metal. They are both done by the same guy and i've found even non-metal fans have enjoyed them as it gives them some perspective they hadn't seen before into metal fans.

The Unheard Music, a doc about X. I was amazed how talented the musicians were. One scene shows a label exec explaining how they weren't interested in the band because they were focusing on Point Blank, which they were sure were going to be the next Journey.

Hype, about the music scene in Seattle in the late 80s early 90s. The media feeding frenzy that occurred. Locals laughed as MTV was featuring bands that were L.A. transplants that didn't even have an album out.

Thanks! Just added those to my Blockbuster queue! Saw The Decline of Western Civilization again last year. Some cool interviews with the members of X in there. Great band that meant a lot to me in college. Still listen regularly.

P.

I agree with your list, though I haven't seen the one on Iron Maiden. Though I've been a big fan of Santana since his first album, his comments in the Peter Green story were a little off putting. Seems to me he owes a lot more to PG, including his sound and Black Magic Woman, than the other way around. The original version of BMW blows away Santana's version, IMHO. Check out the Boston Tea Party recordings, for example.

To add to the list of rocumentaries, Steely Dan's AJA is excellent. In fact, that whole series of Classic Albums is good. I think the Disraeli Gears and Dark Side of the Moon are from the same series.

I really enjoyed "Rising Low" about Allen Woody of Gov't Mule, and Festival Express, (Janice and Grateful dead and a host of others on a train across Canada), Quadrophenia, not to mention "The Making of Woodstock".

You mentioned Festival Express and did not mention that The Band is in it? tsk, tsk. The footage of them doing Rockin' Chair makes my heart swell with joy (with Richard Manuel on lead vocals). Love that song.

You mentioned Festival Express and did not mention that The Band is in it? tsk, tsk. The footage of them doing Rockin' Chair makes my heart swell with joy (with Richard Manuel on lead vocals). Love that song.

Oh yeah.... who didn't like those guys!

There were others, but I couldn't think of them off the top of my head, (since I knew Janice and Jerry personally, of course I remembered them).

If you like Joe Satriani, another good flick is "Reel Satriani" from the mid-90's. Great in-the-studio- footage

of Joe making his self titled album, with Nathan East, Andy Fairweather Low and Manu Katche.

Also stars the inimitable Glyn Johns as the producer who Satch doesn't always see eye to eye with.lol

Good stuff.

Oh yeah.... who didn't like those guys!

There were others, but I couldn't think of them off the top of my head, (since I knew Janice and Jerry personally, of course I remembered them).

Sorry, forgot that you are a San Fran cat so of course you would mention Janice and the Dead. Buddy Guy is in the film too doing a tear down the house version of Money.

Thanks! Just added those to my Blockbuster queue! Saw The Decline of Western Civilization again last year. Some cool interviews with the members of X in there. Great band that meant a lot to me in college. Still listen regularly.

BLOCKBUSTER!! That's so 90's Surfpup.

For me, The Last Waltz would be on the list, as would No Direction Home.

Scorsese's "Blues" series is worth a look, and we (in the UK) regularly get the "Classic Albums" series - these are really interesting if you're interested in the process of making an album.

Blockbuster died in Canada a bit ago....glad to see they changed their model to fit with the times.

Yeah, they began doing the online rental in like 2004. I think they closed a bunch of the retail locations

recently to try to get out of bankruptcy. Our local store is still open though, so we can trade our online/mail

DVDs for ones form the store anytime we want to. That's why we've kept it in spite of the other options now

available.

A lot of good stuff here, indeed. In particular, I thought the aforementioned Unheard Music, The Future is Unwritten and The Filth and the Fury were all excellent. Here are a few others I really liked:

We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart (about the often contentious circumstances surrounding the making of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot)

loudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies

and, of course, D.A. Pennebaker's Don't Look Back about Dylan's '65 tour of England is a classic.

Archived