Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Kits

djroge1

A while ago I asked if any of you might be interested in buying an amp kit of the one in Dave Hunters book "The Guitar Amp handbook."

There have been some of us coordinating on an amp forum and one is now available. It's a REALLY good deal actually - cheaper than what I source myself because it comes with both the 6L6 and 6V6 tubes, a 5Y3 rectifier, 12AX7, and two Jensen speakers. All of that for $380 plus shipping.

I'd have to look at my numbers but I think that is about what I paid without the speakers.

This is a great deal to start amp building.

Here is a link to check it out. http://www.tubeampnetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=56

They also offer cheaper versions if you don't need the speakers or you can do a custom speaker.

Basically, this is everything you need to build an amp except the cabinet.

You're the 2nd one to ask for more info so I'll drop the guy a line and let him know.

It's the amp that Dave Hunter designed and placed the instructions in his book, "The Guitar Amp Handbook."

It uses a Princeton 5F2A chassis and it is a modded Princeton as it only uses 1 power tube and it has a boost switch - basically a boost with higher or lower freqs and a little more crunch in the process.

The reason he is offering it with both a 6L6 and a6V6 is because the amp is cathode biased meaning that you can simply swap out the powertube with no biasing needed. It lets you begin to hear the difference between tubes.

Here is the layout. In it you can see that it has 1 vol and 1 tone control. This is a class A amp and honestly, there is not much clean headroom at all. It's a great classic rock and blues amp.

Hunter_Two_Stroke_Layout-180.jpg

That is a really good price. The Two-Stroke amp was the inspiration for my buddy's

Uber Champ design. BTW, Roger you might be interested ind checking out Triode Electronics

if you haven't already done so. That's pretty much where he's getting all his Uber

parts now. Apparently their transformers are good and yet reasonably priced.

Hey - Thanks for the info. I think that's kind of what I'm looking for. I'll check it out some more. I'm not sure if I would use all the tubes that are supplied. I have all the tubes I would need except for the 5y3.

I looked again at the description on the website and its hard to tell what you're getting with the kit. I'll figure it out.

Hey - Thanks for the info. I think that's kind of what I'm looking for. I'll check it out some more. I'm not sure if I would use all the tubes that are supplied. I have all the tubes I would need except for the 5y3.

I looked again at the description on the website and its hard to tell what you're getting with the kit. I'll figure it out.

the kits we are offering all contain the following:

· 1 12AX7 Preamp Tube

· 1 5Y3 Rectifier Tube

· 1 6L6GC Power Tube

· 1 6V6 Power Tube

· 1 EL34 Power Tube

· Mallory 150 Series Coupling Caps

· Sprague Atom Power Caps

Here are the three options that we will make available:

1. DH Speaker Specs - This version has everything needed to build a Two Stroke amplifier minus the cabinet. The speakers will be stocked with the Jensen C10Q and Jensen C8R as specified in Dave Hunters book.

2. No Speaker – This offering will be everything but the cabinet and speakers.

3. Custom Speaker – We can offer any speaker that is on the Antique Electronic Supply site (http://www.tubesandmore.com/) for a pretty good discount. So if you HAVE to have that Celestion Alnico Blue, we can help with that.

· Option 1 with speakers: $380

· Option 2 without speakers: $320

· Option 3 will vary depending on your choice of speaker

I use a 12" Eminence Wizard speaker with this amp and it sounds great. If you don't need the supplied tubes (6L6 and 6V6) it's always good to have spares around.

Also, it's not on the web page but it also comes with a chassis and all the pots and hook up wire. It's supposed to be everything you'll need to build the amp that is in Dave Hunters book except for the cabinet - you have to build or buy your own cab or head.

Archived